Issue installing new plugins

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VST 3 plugins have a dedicated install path (although in some cases that can be changed but I don't recommend it for now)

From Steinberg:

VST3.png

All the plugins shown in your screenshot above are VST 3 so there is a problem with those installations.

For VST 2 plugins on Windows there is a registry entry for the default install path. Good installers will check for the entry and choose that path. Many installers will simply try to place VST2 plugins in the Program files or Steinberg locations which I also don't recommend.

I create a folder at the root of the drive outside the program folder like "00 VST Plugins" which will cause it to always be on the top of the folder list and easy to find. That defines where the plugin .dll will install but I allow the support files (GUI elements, presets, license key files, etc) to install where they want. I find that helps prevent problems.

If you're comfortable with the registry you can change the default path. For installers that don't read the registry path you can manually point them to that custom folder.

Some really poor installers don't give you an option for changing the VST2 install path but they are the exception and not the rule these days.

As long as Waveform is set to scan any location that plugins are installed it should find them but I prefer all my VST2 plugins to be installed in one location rather than spread out all over the place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm ...As long as Waveform is set to scan any location that plugins are installed it should find them but I prefer all my VST2 plugins to be installed in one location rather than spread out all over the place.
Now...it's been a while, but I remember finding instruction somewhere that certain plugins go into the regular Program Files area and others into the (x86) Program Files folders. Which plugins would those be?

VST 2 plugins don't need to go anywhere specific. As I wrote you can create a custom folder for them. Some plugins want to install in the programs folder but again I don't recommend that location. (x86) was for 32 bit plugins and there's really no reason to use 32 bit plugins in 2024.

I've explained it all in my post above. For your specific complaint of VST 3 plugins not validating you need to reinstall those plugins and let them install to the default VST 3 location.

I installed one of the plugins in your error screenshot and it validates just fine. The plugins just need to be installed properly and they will work.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Are you trying to install 32 bit versions? WF can only use 64 bit. Try installing the 64 bit versions.
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

Thanks, guys. Will make sure I adhere to that going forward.

Okay, so a small update. After having success installing one new plugin, I tried yesterday to install the Stereo Enhancer by Socalabs. I assumed it would work with Waveform. I tried putting the vst3 folder (and later after no success, the vst folder) in every usual-suspect, associated plugin folder (Common Files, Steinberg, etc. - both in the Program Files folder and the Program Files (x86) filder) I could, but each time install failed.

As an aside, I move the entire folders because there were two folders for each, a folder with the dll file, and then a folder labeled "resources," that had a .json file, which I was assuming the plugin would require to work...right? :scared:

irpacynot wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:03 am Okay, so a small update. After having success installing one new plugin, I tried yesterday to install the Stereo Enhancer by Socalabs. I assumed it would work with Waveform. I tried putting the vst3 folder (and later after no success, the vst folder) in every usual-suspect, associated plugin folder (Common Files, Steinberg, etc. - both in the Program Files folder and the Program Files (x86) filder) I could, but each time install failed.

As an aside, I move the entire folders because there were two folders for each, a folder with the dll file, and then a folder labeled "resources," that had a .json file, which I was assuming the plugin would require to work...right? :scared:
Lets take the vst2 case. Have you moved the .dll file into a folder which is included in the search paths for WF? Have you checked 'Automatically check for newly added plugins' on the plugin page? I've just installed both vst and vst3 on Windows. You dont need the .json file just put the .vst3 file in the standard location for vst3s ie C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 and of course make sure WF is scanning that location for new plugins.
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

operandx wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:10 am
irpacynot wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:03 am Okay, so a small update. After having success installing one new plugin, I tried yesterday to install the Stereo Enhancer by Socalabs. I assumed it would work with Waveform. I tried putting the vst3 folder (and later after no success, the vst folder) in every usual-suspect, associated plugin folder (Common Files, Steinberg, etc. - both in the Program Files folder and the Program Files (x86) filder) I could, but each time install failed.

Lets take the vst2 case. Have you moved the .dll file into a folder which is included in the search paths for WF? Have you checked 'Automatically check for newly added plugins' on the plugin page? I've just installed both vst and vst3 on Windows. You dont need the .json file just put the .vst3 file in the standard location for vst3s ie C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 and of course make sure WF is scanning that location for new plugins.
Yeah...unfortunately, still no luck here. Thank you, though.

Return to “Tracktion”