Every 3rd party plugin crashing

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

The current project I'm working on in Waveform 12 has started crashing the software when I try to launch it. I turned on sandboxing and now it opens but displays an exclamation mark next to every 3rd party plugin. Where do I go from here?

Thanks!

dogbiscuit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:33 am Hi all,

The current project I'm working on in Waveform 12 has started crashing the software when I try to launch it.
'has started' implies 'didnt do it before now' and recent corruption or whatever of the software or your system.

Youve not stated platform, but on Windows I'd say do a disk check and point you at sfc /scannow etc, possibly even reinstall Waveform.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Yeh this started in the past few days and I'm using Windows 10. I've attached a screenshot of the message that appears when I clicked on a plugin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:39 am
dogbiscuit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:33 am Hi all,

The current project I'm working on in Waveform 12 has started crashing the software when I try to launch it.
'has started' implies 'didnt do it before now' and recent corruption or whatever of the software or your system.

Youve not stated platform, but on Windows I'd say do a disk check and point you at sfc /scannow etc, possibly even reinstall Waveform.
I ran a disk check on both my main C drive and my external SDD and the external SSD has become inaccessible and just appears as a blank drive now. This is extremely worrying as it contains all my projects. I'm now desperately trying to solve this.

dogbiscuit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:42 pm

I ran a disk check on both my main C drive and my external SDD and the external SSD has become inaccessible and just appears as a blank drive now. This is extremely worrying as it contains all my projects. I'm now desperately trying to solve this.
Does your external disk still have a drive letter assigned to it?

dellboy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:01 pm

It does. But it no longer displays capacity and when I click it I get 'access denied'. I have tried it on my laptop and having the same issue.

dogbiscuit wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:50 pm
dellboy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:01 pm

It does. But it no longer displays capacity and when I click it I get 'access denied'. I have tried it on my laptop and having the same issue.
Do you have a USB disk with a Linux distro you can boot into? You could check the disk using "GParted" to see if that app can see anything.

Apologies for delayed response. I've been having a nightmare trying to sort this. After trying lots of different ways of trying to regain permissions to the drive I finally managed it. But that's not the end of my problems. I use this drive between my PC and laptop and now it's forgetting permissions whenever I plug it to one or the other. This problem is clearly going to take a long time to figure out. But thankfully I've not lost my data.

Its probably not 'forgetting' permissions if they're tied to a specific username or whatever. Its probably remembering them, given that (unless you're on a domain with centralised user accounts), its not actually the same user account on each of the two machines. Even if you've given the accounts the same name.

I know what you mean, but before it would be recognised by either machine and now it won't. I'm considering going nuclear and backing it up and reformatting.

Back to the original issue, when the drive does work, I'm still getting error signs on every 3rd party plugin. But only in one project (I think). And these plugins are on my OS drive, not the one that is playing up. Not sure how to solve this other than to perhaps create a new project and rebuild it.

SSDs are dead cheap now. Don't reformat your current one, but get another to use for now. Someone might be able to rescue your work. I'd use an actual hard drive for backups (but still record onto SSD) and if it is misbehaving at the moment you don't want to fill it again and have it fail again in a couple of months. I've never, in at least 35 years, have a hard drive fail on me (except once at work, but I caught it dying so nothing was lost). I have had an SSD fail, along with a couple of USB drives. You can get a 250GB SSD for under £25 on Ebuyer in the UK. At that price, you could almost use one per album. Ebuyer currently has a 128GB SSD at £9.99.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

jabe wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:06 am SSDs are dead cheap now. Don't reformat your current one, but get another to use for now. Someone might be able to rescue your work. I'd use an actual hard drive for backups (but still record onto SSD) and if it is misbehaving at the moment you don't want to fill it again and have it fail again in a couple of months. I've never, in at least 35 years, have a hard drive fail on me (except once at work, but I caught it dying so nothing was lost). I have had an SSD fail, along with a couple of USB drives. You can get a 250GB SSD for under £25 on Ebuyer in the UK. At that price, you could almost use one per album. Ebuyer currently has a 128GB SSD at £9.99.
Appreciate the advice Jabe, thanks. I have decided to buy a new SSD and copy everything off my current one. I'll wipe the current one and it can be used as an additional backup drive until I can also afford an HHD.

As for the original problem of all my 3rd party plugins crashing, do you have any ideas what might be going on there? It only appears to be happening in one edit. With sandboxing disabled (as it always has been) the edit won't launch and Waveform crashes. With sandboxing enabled it will open but with exclamation marks on every 3rd party plugin. There's another edit within the same project which is fine, however if I open the culprit edit at the same time then it's 3rd party plugins get the same error messages too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The edits are supposed to be stored as XML files, so unless something (else) has gone wrong you can open it in a text editor and try to see if you can find whatever is causing the problem.

Here is an example of what a plugin instance in an edit should look like:

Code: Select all

<PLUGIN type="vst" uniqueId="746b7632" uid="746b7632" filename="C:\Program Files\VstPlugins\Voxengo\EBusLim.dll"
            name="EBusLim" manufacturer="Voxengo" windowLocked="1" id="1083"
            enabled="1" remapOnTempoChange="1" programNum="0" state="821.CMlaKA....fQBMDZ....AP2Z1IC...P.....C.............................................................................................................................................................................f.UB....................PXh41Z6HA..3D.lD.dd0dUM61Dw.gGRagshBpppf3mJTDbAnZygFHf.IZTDQQKJcQJs7.313lrpa7FEugeEu.7hvAdB3ofq.m3DBwo9Hv3Taps2rKAEHRQMVZx34mclwdh+lk..1lx4AQr7UHrClCkWBo3Cd9FO3wz8I8CiOGJKnceUWBm6RYjcCoODUbUjH8aFDUnSTysHArBFtbJzrf.IWsWrbPpUun9c4zvR39KlHTJqYEEQUEv3wD1dTWFoCsFLrpxvEULFFomi0DwNxsKoGoCuvdsILFMzcPU4xiBidBZ+1ISUFeQVmjKXjsi9FQ0x+BZ3FYjFMWsOMNZ6W.osdV8c7xIUHZz0b2XNCwhyaHdmELDu6oMDKcFCw64XHdekXNop4kUgHHhuTXeEHwoNf05kn17ve3Hi9Yee5.i+5JfdEEvbUswA2veFsdSH8Jy1+r5HBpdNMgF58BOeidgmuQuvy2nW34azK77M5Ed9iTuXUv5ji2xw3s7qQ8WGx7LK8L89wgaJ2T9HlijurjupjeIIeMIOeYy2EXdTI6MP1uKzb8+QcI.YNNY71QuvkDFp59bOz7sfzqtDefcMp1KVKiDFhpU5yqGzAuvia26QntqkHA1dkdTObyULiJdU0BCQYXXu8R5WVQ9r3uc6Q4z3AuBpihWNQH0bP+EgMI92obLjR04A43o0K1rR9ZXvDCrN4MfJ0QFeE9mLxP.Nr8NUaT8omHmYnvFrwHrwJbJm8Li8gwalQNKYyYFJAAeRhfO5qIKB9nuldQve2G9wOe66+9jCA2GFCD7EQ52H0JkGigWZFF9LL7YX3Julgg+2rldwvaTo3m93heaZBCujEF9u7a8yrI"
            base64:layout="143.LETVOUEU..P.BjjSPUEUSA..ADfPUME.AHPZtQVY3AP.ED......rEVduUGc.DvFEvDHRAxPfvjYkABSyMGHRM2bfvjbyAhTxMG..7TUTAUUTME..DP.BU0T.Df.o4FYkgG.ATP......vVX48VczAP.aT.SfHEHCABSlUFHLM2bfH0byABSxMGHRI2b...">
      <MACROPARAMETERS id="1084"/>
      <MODIFIERASSIGNMENTS/>
      <FACEPLATE width="8" height="4" autoSize="1">
        <RESOURCES/>
        <BACKGROUND imageAlpha="1.0"/>
      </FACEPLATE>
    </PLUGIN>
Maybe the text in the filename parameter has gone phonky somehow.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

I've had this happen when a plugin package updated all their plugins; it was annoying, but I was able to correct this by going to the plugin section of the setup tab and re-pointing Waveform to the corrected plugins. But that affected all projects--if I understand this rightly, this is just happening to only one project. Which is very odd.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Return to “Tracktion”