Big Beat production tips?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My next project will be along the lines of the Chemical Brothers' latest release. If anyone has any production tips/websites on creating this style of music, I'd appreciate it. I can handle creating the grooves (the "beat") and synth parts...more along the lines of getting the right drum sounds -- e.g., proper distortion, reverb on the drums (the "big").

Thanks!

SuperCamelPhat does a good job on that sort of thing.

CypherOne wrote:SuperCamelPhat does a good job on that sort of thing.
Ok -- that's a start! :wink:

I was in a musicgear shop a while ago...
The aleged "Logic High-Preast" there said to me when I wanted to buy a samson optical compressor for just that kind of things:

"Listen, any good quality sofware you got easily sounds better than lower end hardware, Waves C1 for example is great!"

sooo, if you want gear, then just take your pick of software...technique? hm, sorry...All I can say is...get good dry drumsounds and put them thru a bucketload of comps/reverbs/filters eh...more newbie advice to follow :razz:

I have StormDrum -- haven't used it in a project yet...I'm sure it'll be at the root of this one!

The funny thing is that on the new Chemical Brothers album, most of the beats are actually quite flat sounding. Very compressed but hardly aggressive sounding.

you need a 303. :P

seriously though, isnt most big beat stuff similar in construction to hip hop? you would jsut need a good sampler, maybe a beat slicer and some good synths. then maybe some filter sweep type efx and good compression. mebbe some lofi efx as well

I like to layer elements of modern live drums with old breakbeats. That always seems to get me off to a good start with this type of music. Also, old guitar pedals and stuff are great, so if you have any old crunchy gear give that a try. I have this Sansamp pedal which makes a nice mess of breaks. Driven analog filters also work nice.

Other than that, just experiment with layering different types of stuff. There is always more than meets the eye (or ear!) with this type of music - if you could take those beats apart you'd probably find four or five different parts all adding a certain something.

But then again I heard vinyl was getting to be a dirty word around here, so to be safe I'd stick with the 303.

tee boy wrote: But then again I heard vinyl was getting to be a dirty word around here, so to be safe I'd stick with the 303.
Thanks for the tips.

*Now, about this '303,' which VST is the best? :hihi:

*Please don't answer this question.

torhan wrote:
tee boy wrote: But then again I heard vinyl was getting to be a dirty word around here, so to be safe I'd stick with the 303.
Thanks for the tips.

*Now, about this '303,' which VST is the best? :hihi:

*Please don't answer this question.
uhm...Please don't answer what question? tarnce? fish?

I'd go with mullets...

Return to “Production Techniques”