5th April 2006
Cockos Incorporated has released beta version 0.938 of the free-while-in-beta sequencer / DAW application for Windows, REAPER (Rapid Environment for Audio Prototyping and Efficient Recording).
- Support for an unlimited number of audio tracks.
- Audio tracks are all fully routable (multiple inputs, outputs).
- Volume, pan controls and envelopes per track.
- Supports audio processing plug-ins (DirectX, DXi, VST, VSTi, and Jesusonic) with automation, easy chain manipulation and editing.
- Pitch shifting and time stretching.
- Fast, reasonable and usable Windows-style UI, working well on both low and high resolutions or multiple monitors.
- ASIO, Kernel Streaming, WaveOut, and DirectSound support for playback and recording.
- Reads WAV, OGG, MP3 and MIDI files, records WAV and MIDI files.
- Can render to WAV, OGG, MP3 if lame is installed.
- Full SMP support (can utilize 2 or more processors).
- Multi-layer undo/redo support.
- User creatable color themes.
- Unlimited send/receives per track, with configurable parameters (pre-fx, post-fx, volume/pan adjustment/envelopes, mix to mono, phase, etc.).
- Any track can act as a bus, for routing flexibility.
- Tracks can have one or more (mono or stereo) hardware sends, for analog mixing capability.
- Fully routable/FX-able folder tracks that can contain group tracks.
- Item grouping.
- Ripple editing.
- Grid/snap support with configurable options.
- Unlimited takes per media item.
- Auto punch-in/punch-out functionality.
- Automatic record monitoring modes.
- Selection length granularity options as well as grid snapping.
- Tempo envelope (for grid lines/snapping/ruler), play-speed envelope.
- Project consolidation/export options (for rendering all or parts of any number of tracks to WAV, etc.).
- A UI and architecture that allows you to easily cut loops of many tracks simultaneously, without having to write them to disk.
- Support for plug-in generated media (such as click tracks, etc.).
- Project tempo envelopes for variable tempos in track, grid/snapping that supports variable tempos.
- 64-bit floating point sample pipeline for high quality.
- Advanced recording and monitoring options; examples:
- You can route multiple tracks (inputs and/or media items) into a bus, and record THAT mixed down version.
- You can record the input signal, or record the post-FX, post-track-render signal.
- You can switch recording sources on the fly, even while recording.
- You can arm/disarm tracks' inputs while playing or recording.
- Human readable, human editable, backwards and forwards compatible project file format.
- Options to build peaks for recorded files on the fly.
- Lots of control for the user to specify where recorded files go, etc., when dealing with many projects.
- Template support to make it easy to load a project template and save it as a new project when you begin.
- Input/output channel name aliasing (why view your inputs as "MOTU 896: Analog 1" when you could have them be "Vocal Mic", etc.).
- Options for automatically backing up project files to alternate paths, time-stamped versions, etc.
- More annotations.
- More fade shapes.
- More envelope shapes.
- MIDI editing and more MIDI functionality.
- Higher quality resampling modes.
- Public plug-in API.
- Better control surface support.
- MBCS filename compatibility.
- ASIO DM support.
- Rewire support.
- Multi-language support.
REAPER versions 0.xx are available as freeware. When v1.0 is released the license will change to shareware.
15 May 2013 Cockos updates REAPER to v4.402
18 Apr 2013 Cockos updates REAPER to v4.33
26 Nov 2012 Cockos updates REAPER to v4.31
15 Nov 2012 Cockos updates REAPER to v4.30
17 Jul 2012 Cockos updates REAPER to v4.25
10 Apr 2012 Cockos updates REAPER to v4.22
26 Mar 2012 Cockos updates REAPER to v4.21
21 Mar 2012 Cockos updates REAPER to v4.20
30 Jan 2012 Cockos updates REAPER to v4.151
18 Jan 2012 Cockos updates REAPER to v4.15
07 Oct 2011 Cockos updates REAPER to v4.10
26 Aug 2011 Cockos updates REAPER to v4.02
09 Aug 2011 Cockos releases REAPER 4 (4.0.1)
25 Jul 2011 Cockos updates REAPER to v3.77
28 Apr 2011 Cockos updates REAPER to v3.76
31 Jan 2011 Cockos updates REAPER to v3.75
05 Jan 2011 Cockos updates REAPER to v3.74
18 Nov 2010 Cockos updates REAPER to v3.73
20 Oct 2010 Cockos updates REAPER to v3.72