Steinberg Re-releases two classic VSTi's

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Finally, the future is truly here. We have entered the 'classic' era in the plugin world. Soon we'll have the "new classic", then go back to 'classic' and then come up with variations in taste like cherry and vanilla.. Err.. Now give me my damn silver space clothing that was promised to me early 80s to be fashion by now! :hihi:
Cowbells!

hmm, makes me wonder why they bothered on first listen...
even the most nondiscript freeware offering is more exciting these days.
I wonder if they'll be any better on 2nd listen :shrug:
xphrase would be nice tho! :wink:

Northwood Mediaworks wrote:Just in case you did not hear....

http://www.steinberg.net/de/newsandeven ... -1776.html

Cheers :hihi:
Thanks for the link :)

The other week someone tried to sell Model E bundled with a few other old VST's (incl Plex 1, who needs that when Plex 2 is now freeware?) for $200 on eBay.

Happy I did not bid for that :hihi:
Last edited by Numanoid on Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

After all, they called them "VST Classics 1", so maybe there is a "VST Classics 2" coming along soon? Hopefully it'll be something more useful.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

chokehold wrote:Hm.
Downloaded, installed, tried. Not impressed.
They're pretty sh!tty, to be honest.

For the sake of nostalgia, these might be worth downloading. If you have no "shared past" with these - don't bother.
I didn't believe the spiteful posts, so I tried them myself. Now I'm writing a spiteful post. Go figure. ;)
i think they're very worth downloading and perhaps should be downloaded and used extensively by anyone who wants to start talking about "most analog plugin". this will give them an idea where the whole issue was rooted.

the "analog" they're referring to tends to be the difference between these shitty plugins and a good quality modern plugin. the difference between these and an analog synthesizer or a good quality modern plugin and analog synthesizer are still the same though. although there are some relatively improved emulation attempts virtually all fail completely to capture the real differences.

over all timbre in modern plugins is almost perfect in many cases - unique complex behavioral properties however tend not to be very well matched.

the unique complex properties are what people like me refer to when we say "analog".

(for example, the ms-10 filter combines frequency modulation by the input, asymmetric saturation followed by symmetric saturation in the signal path, frequency modulation by the feedback and non-linear frequency response or in other words non-perfect key-tracking of frequency control.

these properties and their mixture are so complex and unique that in order to emulate them with a generic synthesizer you'd need ten thousand knobs in the filter section. it's extremely difficult to emulate even with a modular synthesizer, if at all even possible given a limited set of modules.

much like emulating a particular violin.)
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Now I'd love to see them reviving "other" old tools...

A1, Virtual Guitarist/Bassisst, Voice Machine...
Hey, I can dream!

Then again, from the looks, VB-1 was not really enhanced, just rerendered with a new GUI and x64 support. Then again, it was part of Cubase since VST3.7 days. Yes, that is old.

I'm curious when they will update LM-4. :hihi:
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

whet wrote:They sound like crap, no competition to todays free vst sector.
You can find a lot of samples generated with Model E in some of the most famous modern sample based synths... ;)

Downloading now, if it's free and not an update this is a really appreciated gift! :D

Also... you can now use them OUTSIDE" of Cubase if I see that right... now that is a treat.

(not too sure on these old VSTi if they were ever capable of running in another host - I was always with Cubase until SX times).
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Thanks for all the kind words, god, I thought kvr was a nice place where free is accepted and appreciated. steinberg sucks

I might end up getting a lot of use out of Model-E. It's got 3 Oscs, plus noise gen. I could make some cool FX sounds with it. I did a quick A-B with Chris Roberson's RA Mowg and yes, I can hear the difference but so what? If I tinker with it enough I can coax good sounds out of it.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Can't get Model E to work on either of my macs. Wrapped in logic or in Reaper. :(
VB-1 Works...but who cares......

Just tried them in Psycle. VB-1 went to the trashbin straight away (why on earth they don't distribute them just zipped, without that stupid installer btw?). Model E is not that bad, really (never tried it before as never used Cubase). "This plugin" it's probably not, but I programmed some semi-decent sounds on the fly. No way this will find its way into "big phat productions with commercial sound", but I shall certainly keep it in my 'freeware' (ie Psycle) setup an use now and then. Recommended, not highly, but recommended. Also great for n00bies, as the layout is rather logical and simple.

the warmth of vintage plugs... :hihi: :love:

downloading now. will bring some memories... :)

but would be nice to have them as audiounits to use it in logic (and not only live) :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”