Steinberg Re-releases two classic VSTi's

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Meffy wrote:
kelldammit wrote:never really had much use for vb-1
Run it through Baxxpander from Elogoxa (free) and it can be reasonably usable.
that sounds like something fun to try. i should download those and see what i missed. vb-1 and the synths went right by me at the time, mostly because i had a real bass and a k2000s :)

k

Hey guys, just in case you haven't downloaded those VSTs yet here you can watch video demonstrations of them:

- VB-1 http://myvst.com/vst-instruments/bass-s ... 1-freeware

- Model E http://myvst.com/vst-instruments/bass-s ... e-freeware

Hope you enjoy it :)

myVST
In free time i work on my website http://myvst.com/ which provides a lot of free VST Video/Audio demos and downloads.

lol, a thread for ancient craptastic VSTi is going strong, while the fact they just released some fairly decent plugs is totally ignored. Awesome.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:lol, a thread for ancient craptastic VSTi is going strong, while the fact they just released some fairly decent plugs is totally ignored. Awesome.
Like what?
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro do people actually click these?
gearlust: Roland JP-8000, too much/not enough eurorack
machinecode by: u-he, Bitwig, Fabfilter, NI, et al

xybre wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:lol, a thread for ancient craptastic VSTi is going strong, while the fact they just released some fairly decent plugs is totally ignored. Awesome.
Like what?

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/vs ... start.html
All VST plugins instead of synths, but still ...

They are actually pretty darn good other than a bit pricey.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Fairly decent for that price doesn't even warrant a comment never mind an entire thread hahaha
£326 for three plugins they need to be outstanding, are Steinberg living in a different economy to the rest of the world hahahahaha

I just want to give some props to those same Steiny studio engineers who also in their spare time wrote unsupported x64 drivers for the Steinberg Midix8 and Midix3 patchbays.

I was crying on Win7 x64 with my now nearly useless MOTU Midi Timepiece Parallels staring at me from the rack. One Midix8 off Craig's and one off eBay later, with Cubase's linear time base buffering and these puppies I have rock solid midi timing superior to the MOTUs.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Besides Xphrase, I just wish they'd sell me Hypersonic2. I think it's still the best and certainly most efficient GM compatible plus soft sound module around. I cannot believe I didn't buy it when I had the chance.

Como
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

Jazz Franco wrote:Returning to the point: unfortunately, couldn't get Model E to show in any host (Traction NFR and Reaper4) on my old iBook Mac with 10.4.11, which is sad -- looking at the CPU consumption on PC this could make some nice funny little setup.
works fine here in studio one v2 mac.

Why are they craptastic? Model E sounds great. I didn't checkout VB-1 yet.

i don'T get yamaha releasing plugins of other company hardware but calling it the yamaha collection, a 1176? a dbx? an electro harmonix pedal?

you have to wonder by who and for what the algorithms were written.

it may just be the case that they invested a significant amount to develop these for one of their work-stations, and they happened to get generic code and basic vst implementations in the deal. a few thousands later they'd have fully functional with reasonable looking gui plugins.

the 300+ motivation would be oriented toward the high cost to develop the original code.

the cost of developing a vst plugin compared to developing device-specific code for hardware is going to potentially hugely different.

i'm thinking, typically vst plugins are written for cost of living at the start of a company, and then with more mature companies like NI you might be paying the average coder 100k or more, or less, depending upon the specific capabilities and ROI involved.

to contract out a deal for an implementation in a work-station synth or to manage your own team of engineers is going to cost somewhere in the millions of dollars, at least.

(yeah sure, they look like crappy synth-edit plugins, but you can't assume anything based upon looks except that they obviously don't understand the potion of the vst market that drives our demand for the 3d rendered gui.)

look at the "VCM technology" box. they have some photo of a random dude in a lab-coat with over ten k of rack mount stuff behind him. these plugins are obviously implemented by top physicists, engineers and scientists from other fields totally unrelated to audio processing software.

wow actually now that i really bothered to look at the page more than a glance i notice they hired expert website programmers as well! all the text and images gracefully glide outside of the boxes which appear to be randomly placed with odd spacing and offsets. it's also designed to be displayed in theater, or at least a 16:9 tv.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

I use Firefox & their website looks alright on my tiny netbook screen. The GUIs aren't that bad etheir, why the hate?

I think it's great publicity for Steinberg to give away those oldies. Model E is quite fun, even if I prefer the sound of the MiniMogue VA (made with SE).

I don't get it..Someone just released updated software for free i mean for literally free (you can download it or you don't want to depending on what you need but hey it' free). And they got laugh, toying, ridiculing, smart ass, conspiracy theory and what not. Niiiice people hang here in this thread...

i didn't see anyone complaining about the free stuff, other than the fact it's kind of out-dated and kind of always sucked.

it's perfectly usable stuff though. good on them. good on all the 100s of free software developers out there who do this every day, too.

the commentary was only that the effort put into the yamaha plugins you would expect could have been far greater than what they did.

yamaha should know better than this. firefox makes up a large percentage of the market these days and it's identical to saying "i hate macs, it works fine on windows".

also the guis are fine in my opinion, i'd actually prefer less clutter and retro fetish junk on them. why should software look like you have a guitar pedal from the 70s on your screen? well, i guess it's ok as a novelty. not respectable as quality software though.

the guy in the lab-coat look with a rack of expensive equipment on it, maybe he's a really good programmer and engineer and this is all equipment he was testing and using to test with. (such as digital oscilloscopes, high frequency high quality many-channel ADCs, tone and sweep generators, variable supplies and loads ...)

do you think the typical person viewing this advertising would be able to list all the possible things the gear might have been if it really represented something you could see and would lend credence to the quality of the software product?

(i don't think so, do you honestly disagree? i'd like to know why and how many people you think do take a close look at these images without sub-consciously attributing the smart-looking guy to actual intelligence without thinking for themselves first.)

it's just that it's pretty easy to mock that and the fact it seems this "patented <buzzword> VIRTUAL <buzzword> <buzzword> TECHNOLOGY (TM)" and "professional" and "lots of fancy equipment" seems to always have a significant issues with regard to it's relation to reality.

the prices aren't totally unreasonable, but if they are, just don't buy that stuff. i wouldn't pay $40 ... maybe $20 if it would get me some cheap laughs and i might actually use it a bit. also, rather than complaining about it, i just don't buy that stuff :)

we're not mocking at all the fact they've released free stuff. we're mocking the fact that somebody didn't understand how a release happening around the same time of certain other plugins barely was noticed.

maybe we did notice, we just didn't care.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Return to “Instruments”