Another major dev may have quietly dropped Win XP support

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

toothnclaw wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:blah-blah
:roll:
ah, right, you're one of those kind of folk. good to see a solid argument from someone who can actually stand by their convictions in a mature and rational manner, instead of some twattish nonsense from someone talking unsupportable shite for its own sake. what a star of internet debate you truly are, sir, i tip my hat to your style, so full of wit and repartee. :roll:
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Skorpius wrote:Also, try to change the icon of a certain standard file type in Win 7: This is simply not possible without an additional tool.
It doesn't make that much difference not having the absolutely crap tool they had in XP for the task. While it does work for the brief changes it gets very confused in some situations. In reality the way the registry classes are set up is a heck of a lot more complex and difficult to work with than the old "easy" tool made it seem.

On XP I used to run into issues with it all the time (conflicting definitions in different positions in the registry set by naughty installers, installers and applications overriding my manual settings). If the registry keys were not "in order" as the tool expected, it simply wouldn't work. In a few cases it even locked up and crashed! Once I started to use the registry to make edits directly things became a lot more easy. You just need to learn which places need edits made and if it is a matter of inserting data just write a reg file.

If you do still want a tool for the job someone has made one and although it is slightly more powerful than the XP tool it is still severely limited. Do a search for it, I don't remember the name of it.

The one thing I would actually complain about win7 is the annoying ctrl-alt-del screen and its habit of hiding the desktop window. That is just plain annoying and I'm not sure why they did it.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

the only complaints i have about windows 7 is that they changed the behaviour of Win+Break and it takes an hour to get to network interface settings in the control panel.

old ctrl+alt+del is now ctrl+shift+esc so i'm fine with that change :-)
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Return to “Instruments”