Low CPU synth that has good envelopes

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I need something to contrast with lush 101. I want a low cpu synth with good oscillators and very good envelopes. Filters is not a huge deal because I will be buying The Drop.

Synths I am not looking for are: Anything from NI or Spire

Please leave recommendations!

Thanks

Can you define what on earth "good envelopes" means?

Do you mean "snappy" ? If so, you're immediately into the same territory as asking for a "warm" synth.

Technically however one reason certain synthesizers may be "more snappy" than others solely related to envelopes rather than aspects of the filter or amplifier is that a lot of software uses per-block modulation. So, the modulation rate in a lot of software tends to be lower than the audio rate and is not anti-aliased. This means for example that if the mod-rate is 1k, the fastest envelope speed you can get is either zero or a straight line of 1ms. You can't then get the more detailed curves you'd see from analog envelopes.

So, in that case you're looking for a synthesizer with "per-sample modulation" rather than a reduced mod rate.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Snappy sure, but closer to hardware envelopes

Dune 2. Reading your request, i'm a bit puzzled now though. Wonder why you ask for synths with good envelopes (which are supposed to be the filter envelopes i guess), when you'll be using an external filter plugin anyway.

chk071 wrote:Dune 2. Reading your request, i'm a bit puzzled now though. Wonder why you ask for synths with good envelopes (which are supposed to be the filter envelopes i guess), when you'll be using an external filter plugin anyway.
We'll is like a good filter but don't like any on vst synths anyway so will use the drop. I want good envelopes cuz they are rare amongst software.

How about Synth1 which is free?
:borg:

LimboLoves wrote:
chk071 wrote:Dune 2. Reading your request, i'm a bit puzzled now though. Wonder why you ask for synths with good envelopes (which are supposed to be the filter envelopes i guess), when you'll be using an external filter plugin anyway.
We'll is like a good filter but don't like any on vst synths anyway so will use the drop. I want good envelopes cuz they are rare amongst software.
Yeah, but why do you need good envelopes on the synth, when you don't use them anyway, and you use the Drop? Or maybe i just don't get it. I always thought when talking of "good envelopes" it's the filter envelopes which are meant.

Adsr on oscillators are important. Envelopes aren't filter exclusive.

LimboLoves wrote:Adsr on oscillators are important. Envelopes aren't filter exclusive.
describe what 'very good envelopes' means to you?

Xhip is exactly what you are looking for, in that case.

Envelopes and LFOs are per-sample accurate. They are sub-sample accurate in time as well and behave exactly as analog envelopes do.

This was a major feature differentiating it back in 2004 when it was first released as a VST.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Get sylenth1 instead
Last edited by V0RT3X on Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

Xhip sounds like the right one. Also check out Charlatan: very basic, but great sounding.

A good test for envelopes is to set a low sustain level, instant attack and very quick decay. Then turn the master volume up. On a synth with good envelopes, this will sound fantastic and make very punchy sounds.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Charlatan, OBXD, TAL Elektro
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

LimboLoves wrote:I want a low cpu synth with good oscillators and very good envelopes.
This is exactly how I would describe Audjoo Helix.

Return to “Instruments”