Softube Modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Multiphonics CV-2 Reaktor Softube Modular

Since I'm lazy reading manuals, could someone advice how to set oscillator module on +7 semitones? :D

Made some drumsounds with this. I'm like.. Wow. Kicks and hats are just.. Wow.

Lejurai wrote:Since I'm lazy reading manuals, could someone advice how to set oscillator module on +7 semitones? :D

You won't find it in the manual. You'll need to do it by ear like we did back in the stone ages. LOL.

tedannemann wrote:To quote Bruce Lee: "Simplicity is the key to brilliance".
I am using Reaktor since it was called "Generator". Softube Modular sounds different very different.
Maybe you could create a complex ensemble like Monark to get the same sort of sound - but why would I spend days or months to do so? Or in other words I highly appreciate your Korgasmatron ensemble and I am willing to compare the quality / the result with the Softube module as well with the hardware. :D
If simplicity is truly the key to brilliance, then all but the most basic modular set ups would then be for dullards? I don't think that anyone is buying Softube or any other competing products because they're looking for a simple answer.

Also, I don't think you understand Blocks. It would take about 5, maybe 10 minutes to put together a Monark style patch using blocks, but you wouldn't have to because it's already been done. My point with Softube Modular is that it doesn't sound better than Monark when making a Model D style synth and if you add too much more than that, for me, it becomes unusable on my CPU. I got Monark free with Maschine 2 (don't hold your breath for freebies like that from Softube) but I also upgraded Reaktor because I want to tear Monark apart and make it my own. That doesn't necessarily mean more complex. It just means different. For instance, I've mentioned this before, but one of my first Blocks creation was a variation of Monark but I replaced one of the oscillators with a Waldorf wavetable oscillator and then I swapped out the Moog ladder LP for a formant filter. I could do this because the system allowed this kind of flexibility but it doesn't mean I had to create something complicated.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Lejurai wrote:Since I'm lazy reading manuals, could someone advice how to set oscillator module on +7 semitones? :D

You might want to read this. It applies to the hardware. I'm not 100% sure that this is going to be possible with the software outside of using some offsets, which would be trial and error for me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/modular/commen ... pfer_a110/

ned wih

Okay, I figured out a cheat and with some time can probably figure out something that doesn't require this.

Hook the mod wheel into CV2 and crank the mod wheel all the way up. Then just tune CV2 until you hear a 5th.

Combined with a 2nd osc, you can get that classic 5ths detuned lead that ELP used a lot back in the 70s.

With a different control voltage in, that has the same range as mod wheel on full, you can achieve the same effect and still be able to leave the mod wheel itself available for other uses.

I'll fiddle some more.

lnikj wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
lnikj wrote:
It's back to Reaktor and Oscillot for me for now.
It's a fair position to take, but for me I find it helpful to think of software in a very different way than hardware.
I have no hardware :cry:
What is Reaktor and Oscillot running on?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
lnikj wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
lnikj wrote:
It's a fair position to take, but for me I find it helpful to think of software in a very different way than hardware.
Wetware. It's all just a state of mind. Man :help:

Okay, figured it out. Use the Offset module.

Step 1) Add Offset Module

Step 2) MIDI To CV Trig goes into Offset In.

Step 3) Offset Out goes into CV2.

Step 4) Turn Offset knob to the right until you hear a 5th. Should be a G.

That's it. Easy Peazy.

wagtunes wrote:

That's it. Easy Peazy.
Thanks!

But he was joking. ;)
Blue Phase Music

JoeCat wrote: Both systems excel in sound quality (to my ears - I'll trust zerocrossing's detailed analysis for specifics).

:lol:

I don't claim to be some "golden ear" audiophile. I've learned to recognize artifacts in digital audio and reject them when they don't belong and exploit them when they do. (Mmmmm Mr. Alias Pro) I was probably a bit harsh when I first commented because I had read such hyperbolic reviews on the sound that I was probably expecting a lot more. I'd say that Softube Modular is equal to Reaktor 6 Blocks in terms of audio quality (when running Reaktor at 96 khz) but I like the character of the stock Reaktor Blocks more than the Softube ones.
Zerocrossing Media

lnikj wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
lnikj wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
lnikj wrote:
Wetware. It's all just a state of mind. Man :help:
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:
JoeCat wrote: Both systems excel in sound quality (to my ears - I'll trust zerocrossing's detailed analysis for specifics).
:lol:

I don't claim to be some "golden ear" audiophile. I've learned to recognize artifacts in digital audio and reject them when they don't belong and exploit them when they do. (Mmmmm Mr. Alias Pro) I was probably a bit harsh when I first commented because I had read such hyperbolic reviews on the sound that I was probably expecting a lot more. I'd say that Softube Modular is equal to Reaktor 6 Blocks in terms of audio quality (when running Reaktor at 96 khz) but I like the character of the stock Reaktor Blocks more than the Softube ones.
I'm not thinking you're the audio bees knees either :hihi:

Seriously, you and some other forum regulars do spend some time running specific tests, doing some real A/B, etc. I'm more at the level of "sounds good", so I try to be careful opining on sound quality comparisons. For example, I can't say specifically why I think Oxium sounds great, but I loved the sound the first time I heard it (I need a six-pack to look at the GUI, though :) ).

With Softube Modular, it sounds great, but not hyperbolic-great. I think that's mostly because the last few years have seen quite an advance in analog emulation. The bar for mind-blowing sound out of software has been raised of late.

zerocrossing wrote:
do you have any recommendations for analog sounding oscillators/filters for Reaktor 6, other than the Monark ones?

I enjoy Blocks initially, but after a while got a bit disillusioned with it, since apart from these, I didn't enjoy the other oscillators/filters much ... oh, except for the west coast ones from NI, those too were nice :)
(no offence to the blocks creators, who are both v. skilled and generous!)

wagtunes wrote:

That's it. Easy Peazy.
Awesome! Thank you Wags :hug:

You know you're in a modular thread if no one posts a piece of music for 20 pages :?
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Instruments”