Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
Aleksey Vaneev
KVRAF

3399 posts since 7 Sep, 2002

Postby Aleksey Vaneev; Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:03 pm Re: Specific technical questions about VST3, and info for users

mystran wrote:
lorcan wrote:
Aleksey Vaneev wrote:Decoupling of UI and DSP was always a bad idea, it's good only from academic perfection point of view. Now we have to push megabytes of data between UI and DSP to draw spectrum analysis view.

AAX and AU do it too, I'm not sure you could say Apple and Avid are academic perfectionists.

At least one of the more popular frameworks (and I suspect this approach is also very popular among people who don't use frameworks), namely IPlug appears to handle this for AU (no idea about AAX, haven't looked at that) by having the GUI query for a custom property which is literally the pointer to the actual plugin object. Once you have the raw pointer, you basically give middle finger to the whole separation non-sense and just do it the more efficient way.

IMHO the big problem with ALL the plugin interfaces is that they were designed by idiots who thought they are supposed to dictate the internal architecture of the plugin rather than just providing an actual interface. The fact is, that's just not going to happen and the more you try to force it down the throat of the developers, the uglier the hacks you get as a result.

AudioUnit is worse than anything else out there in this respect. They do not even have a standard way to define variable-size properties to communicate data, so I had to use workarounds. I was actually trying to play a "good guy" and implemented AudioUnit GUI and DSP decoupling the "correct way" only to later understand that nobody needs it after multi-core processors appeared, so there's no need in the originally available "outboard" processing capabilities. I expect when Apple releases the ARM desktop processors we'll need to move to AUv3 forcefully, another can of worms.
hibrasil
KVRian

763 posts since 23 Jun, 2002, from Huddersfield, UK

Postby hibrasil; Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:50 pm Re: Specific technical questions about VST3, and info for users

mystran wrote:IMHO the big problem with ALL the plugin interfaces is that they were designed by idiots who thought they are supposed to dictate the internal architecture of the plugin rather than just providing an actual interface.

a bit harsh! let's not forget that our fellow devs are humans with feelings and certainly not idiots!... if you work for a company you don't necessarily have the freedom to make the API you would really like to make if you were doing it for a hobby, or the freedom to consult 3rd parties, and there are all sorts of other issues, and industry politics at play. AFAIK a lot of the AU and CoreAudio APIs are designed in part by James McCartney of Supercollider fame ... sadly Apple didn't hire so well in the documentation department
My Website | WDL-OL | Web Audio Modules - WAMs | Oli Larkin Plugin's Facebook
Available for Audio Dev tuition via Skype (IPlug/JUCE/C++)
fabi
KVRAF

1667 posts since 1 Jun, 2003

Postby fabi; Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:09 am Re: Specific technical questions about VST3, and info for users

i was just scratching my head over why midi learn didn't work in bidule with my copy of toneboosters' reelbus4...
turns out i only had the vst3 installed and i guess midi learn doesn't work with vst3? what a bummer... freakin' idjits over at steinberg....
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to DSP and Plug-in Development