Where to go from here?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have taken the advise of you guys and developed my software to the maximum level I can and I am getting frustrated about going further. I have a dual mono audio unit eq, dual mono audio unit dynamics processor and dual mono audio unit analog harmonics summing mixer. I could spend years refining the dual mono sounds, but i now wish to take it further. I am not interested in any partnership, but I have finances available to pay a handsome hourly rate. I can have $100k tomorrow if I need. Obviously I do not wish to waste money. I am no interface designer and I would need a secure online purchase/delivery system. If you want further details as to how my plug ins are different then please email me. All of the algorithms in my software are new and I would also love informed advise on legally protecting them. (i have consulted a patents lawyer who is no expert on dsp) I am happy to fly to a country to demonstrate my working software if you are vaguely interested and can help.
Ps.I am amazed the high end programmers on this forum believe that only high end programmers can develop more advanced alternate algorithms to those out there considering the original source of your Maths is based on looking at the revolutions of a wheel. Done by a brilliant guy who I do not claim to be, but he was not a specialized dsp programmer.

Thanks
Lach

I just released my synth in to the wild not so long ago so I was in a similiar situation not so long ago. Getting feedback from betatester is great, they can test on different OS platforms and different hosts in a way it would be extremly tedious to do yourself and they usually have good opinions on what can be improved.
There are threads here in this forum on what can be used for selling the plugins, as usual there are different opinions but my choice fell to shareIt which seems to fit me and works good so far. They take care of all payments and automatically sends them a license key which they later can use to download the latest version of my sotware from my site.
David Guda gudaaudio.com

Ps.I am amazed the high end programmers on this forum believe that only high end programmers can develop more advanced alternate algorithms to those out there considering the original source of your Maths is based on looking at the revolutions of a wheel. Done by a brilliant guy who I do not claim to be, but he was not a specialized dsp programmer.
i'm not 100% certain what you're talking about when you say "dual mono", but you just described the fact you have an eq, compressor and waveshaper/mixer? the source code for this type of thing is available for free on musicdsp.org.

it's entirely possible for someone to come up with working implementations. the real question is whether these are fine-tuned implementations suited for a particular purpose.

many of the plugins out there use naive implementations and manage to sell just fine. a lot of the "high end" programmers are actually just ordinary copy-paste programmers.

what are you posting about though? you're looking for someone not just to design your gui but to implement it as well? you also want someone to design and implement a sales server? including what features?

you might find some people to do this for you in this forum... i have my doubts though.

(dsp and plugins. not user interface, graphical design and website coding...)
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Thanks for the replies
Lach

By "dual mono" I mean n to n. I have developed my algorithms from scratch in Mathematica then msp then audio units. The Maths has taken a decade part time in my hardware studio. I have read and owned many dsp maths books and I as far as i can tell i have written original Maths with fantastic results. The final implementation in c involved a few surprises, but I am happy with the natural tones I am able to get. I think some of my Maths surpasses some of the Maths currently used.
As far as a web page and sales-I have no idea about security. A couple of years ago I would have used pace, but things have changed. I would love a website with on line purchasing and authorizing and a discussion forum engine to cut down on tech support. Really I want to eventually sell my algorithms for general signal processing in many dsp fields and the audio units would be initially sold for advertising my algorithms.
Thanks
Lach

I use this service for my products and they also do keycodes delivery. Very reasonable rates and great service .
http://getdpd.com/features/secure-product-delivery/
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

ftr i'm practically little more than a dolt with superficial awareness of calculus (more by doing than edification). i believe that i am, as an example, widely recognised amongst other programmers here as being routinely innovative (which is more a matter of dealing with uncommon subject matter). other vst programmers here are at least polite to me, so don't worry about other peoples attitudes :) neither worth debating or defining. many of the "most widely recognised high end programmers" are also quite generous in discussion.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

" other vst programmers here are at least polite to me, so don't worry about other peoples attitudes neither worth debating or defining. many of the most widely recognised high end programmers are also quite generous in discussion."
Thanks, I recognize that. It just gets frustrating when asking questions as a 101 programmer, but quite a good mathematician who has looked at the Maths for years, that........ well read some of the earlier posts.
Unlike programming the Maths is quite certain. For example- I spent months working on the Maths for generating the vague harmonics of a transistor, including doing massive sums where integration was not possible, which would keep an intel tower going for two days on one calculation. After finishing the maths and implementing the c, I knew the implementation in my process was wrong when it sounded bad and would just adjust the c till it represented the Maths. I knew the c was right when it sounded like what I could see in the mathematical plots, it looked right in spectrafoo and most importantly it sounded sweet. I think to do the programming for eq,harmonics and dynamics without high end Maths is like looking for a needle in a hay stack( or a thread in stackoverflow).
I don't want to blow my own trumpet, but it just gets frustrating.
Thanks for all your help
Lach[/quote]

I would believe you could do pretty good dynamics programming without "high end" math and just good intuition. I haven't written any compressor or the like yet but I have some ideas on how to implement it (not just as simple as possible but good sounding) and frankly any considerable math is not part of that image. Not more than up/down sampling eqs and that kind of stuff.
David Guda gudaaudio.com

I can see your point, but I will discuss it further once I have released my software. I think there is not much more room for innovation outside of high end Maths and rewriting the basics. A true compressor has to be far more than a smoothed out digital clipping device if it is going to be anything like it's analog equivalent which reacts differently according to factors like the frequency content. Smooth digital clipping has the bad elements of digital distortion, though not as bad, even with major up sampling. I do think to move beyond the current digital sound we have to incorporate better maths.
Thanks

that's fairly ridiculous.

your comment about "digital clipping" is a straw-man.

also, you are apparently not aware that some software is able to perfectly match the results you get from circuits - when the functions expressed by the circuit are the same functions implemented in the software.

there are some cases where things become far more complex of course but the greatest limit to any sampled implementation would be the limits described by the sampling theorem.

i do not believe that the complexity of averaging two numbers is especially great when you compare the results you get in software to those you'd get from a circuit with two resistors.

of course that isn't what the people who sell $9000 audio cables or "analog summing" modules say.

if you're really here to troll everyone, that's great and all i guess. if you're the least bit serious about making any sort of sensible argument (although i don't see what you'd achieve here by doing so) you should consider posting some audio clips demonstrating how your equations for simple well known functions are better than the equations everyone else has used.

let's hear some demos.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

I do not claim to be a genius. Just suggesting somewhere else to look at for programming that may be a little neglected. I have a small snippet of di guitar and then a simple summing mixer put on it with lower emphasis harmonics containing a little valve, a little transistor, a little neve and a little ssl. It is only a summing mixer, but interesting enough. Can't find where to post it. Please advise.

LBarratt wrote:I spent months working on the Maths for generating the vague harmonics of a transistor
less vague than "y = tanh(x)" ?

And what is the harmonic of "a" transistor? I know several different models and usages of that part...

cheppner wrote:
LBarratt wrote:I spent months working on the Maths for generating the vague harmonics of a transistor
less vague than "y = tanh(x)" ?
Actually that would be the harmonics of a pair of transistors.

You guys pay out on so many people. Obviously not secure within yourselves, though what you say is very funny. Please tell me where I can attach an audio file on this forum.
Thanks

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”