Anyone making "Sandbox-Safe" Audio Units?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aciddose wrote:Yes, with over 100 beta testers there have been zero reports of permission issues. (For access to the application support directory.)
In Logic X? On 10.9?

You know, this thread exists for a REASON.

Yes, if you use the sandboxed version of logic you end up with the sandboxed directory. That means the files (banks, config, etc) are written there fresh as if the plugin was started for the first time. The sandboxed instances are separate from non-sandboxed instances exactly as they should be. They live in their own little universe completely separate from other applications.

If the user wants to copy config preferences or banks or other data, they can use the export feature to export this to their documents folder and import feature in the sandbox to import those files to the sandbox.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote:Yes, if you use the sandboxed version of logic you end up with the sandboxed directory. That means the files (banks, config, etc) are written there fresh as if the plugin was started for the first time. The sandboxed instances are separate from non-sandboxed instances exactly as they should be. They live in their own little universe completely separate from other applications.

If the user wants to copy config preferences or banks or other data, they can use the export feature to export this to their documents folder and import feature in the sandbox to import those files to the sandbox.
What? Why would I want to write a file every time as if it's the first time? Doesn't that void the whole point of what a file IS?

You're goofy, man.

If you create a work-around for the sandbox so that your plugin behaves as if it is not in the sandbox, why didn't the user just not use the sandbox in the first place?

You're defeating the purpose of the feature if you do it any other way. The sandbox is like a "virtual machine", at least as far as files are concerned.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

I'm ignoring you.

Anyone *serious* with some insight into *what I actually asked about*?

I thought they gave up on this sandbox idea for Logic?

aMUSEd wrote:I thought they gave up on this sandbox idea for Logic?
I have no idea, I'm still on 10.6.8 so can't run the new Logic.

All I know is Poly-Ana 1.191 used to write its authorization and configuration files to /Application Support/ Then, after some major new OSX version came out (I forget which one, they seem to release a new major OS version at least once a year) customers started sending in reports that they couldn't authorize their product (where after entering their key into the product, it attempted to create a folder and file under /Application Support/) If I got them to create the /Admiral Quality/ folder under /Application Support/ themselves, that fixed it.

Aside from that it's all hearsay. I went with ~/Music/Admiral Quality/ in the new updates, because that's what this thread seemed to conclude. I really have no idea what locations are okay to write to, and as I currently have no ability to test it myself on anything other than 10.6.8, I'd just like to know what everyone else (except aciddose) is doing.

That sounds more to do with Gatekeeper than application sandboxing. afaik the only sandboxed plugin host at the moment is Garageband X.

aMUSEd wrote:That sounds more to do with Gatekeeper than application sandboxing. afaik the only sandboxed plugin host at the moment is Garageband X.
Whatever. If I may expand this thread to to the topic of, "Where the f**k can we write files to, reliably, on all recent OSX systems (let's say 10.5 and above)". And can we create folders there, or just files? While keeping in mind, we're not writing apps, we're writing plug-ins FOR apps.

Sandbox, Gatekeeper, Keymaster, Zuul, whatever... what's it all distill down to? I don't really need the whys. Just the answer will do.

Most apps seem to write to /library/application support/appname for app related stuff (factory settings, data, skins etc) and/or /Users/username/library/application support/appname for user related stuff (user presets etc)

aMUSEd wrote:Most apps seem to either write to /library/application support/appname for app related stuff (factory settings, skins etc) or /Users/username/library/application support/appname for user related stuff (user presets etc)
Well, I know #1 won't work, starting either in 10.7 or 10.8.

And again, can they *create* that folder? Or can they only write to it once it's created? If #2, then I can work around it by getting the user or hopefully, the installer, to create that folder before the plug-in ever runs. Obviously my preference is to be able to do it all programmatically, from the plug-in itself.

AdmiralQuality wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Most apps seem to either write to /library/application support/appname for app related stuff (factory settings, skins etc) or /Users/username/library/application support/appname for user related stuff (user presets etc)

And again, can they *create* that folder? Or can they only write to it once it's created? If #2, then I can work around it by getting the user or hopefully, the installer, to create that folder before the plug-in ever runs. Obviously my preference is to be able to do it all programmatically, from the plug-in itself.
Well I didn't create them so presumably the installers did that. 1 does work, for example I recently installed AAS string Studio 2 and I can see it has created a folder in application support containing all of its factory data. (at least there must be a way for it to work)

aMUSEd wrote:
AdmiralQuality wrote:

Well I didn't create them so presumably the installers did that. 1 does work, for example I recently installed AAS string Studio 2 and I can see it has created a folder in application support containing all of its factory data.
What host? Version? OSX version?

Host is probably immaterial - I have many

aMUSEd wrote:10.9.4

Host is probably immaterial - I have many
I'd be very interested to know if that folder is created by the installer, or programmatically by the plug-in.

And is this under /Library or ~/Library?

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”