What are your favorite non-Valhalla reverbs, and why?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

These days I feel pretty much set with the NI classics (RC24 and 48), plus Aether and B2.

I like the NI classics for simplicity and they just sound great. Pretty low cpu too. Then for a little more variation and modern sound it's B2. And I actually really like B2 on it's lower quality settings. Although it can be complex because of the two engines, I almost always use it single engine, more like Breeze. Aether is a monster - The ER section really makes for realistic spaces on some sources, plus the tails are gorgeous as well.

Sweet Jesus, what reverb is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW_4cICXcQk
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Especially at the beginning (but later as well) I find it WAY too much - doesn't sound especially nice either... not very tasteful in my book at all - rather a good example of how NOT to use reverb... :shrug:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:Especially at the beginning (but later as well) I find it WAY too much - doesn't sound especially nice either... not very tasteful in my book at all - rather a good example of how NOT to use reverb... :shrug:
I agree it is drenched, and yet I like the reverb.

It does sound like he is ducking the reverb with the vocal, so the dry vocal cuts through all the reverb.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

It is a lot but it's got a nice amount of pre-delay and a long attack on it. Also narrow in the stereo spectrum so it kinda stays in its own space. I really like it actually.

Sounds like there's a ton of pitch modulation.

This one is a bit more dialed back, maybe ... and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7C8gHkp_vM
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Well, that's a Trance DJ, so you get what it says on the tin...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote:Well, that's a Trance DJ, so you get what it says on the tin...
I thought we were talking about reverb we like?
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Zynaptiq Adaptiverb. It's sheer inspiration.

Acon -Very nice, hard to go wrong with, subtle

SafeReverb -There's something I like about this one. It can give sounds some "air", as if they were recorded in an exterior space.

Acon Verberate
Liquidsonics Reverbeta 2

These are my favourites purely based on sound!
I also sometimes use NI's RC24 and RC 48.

I remember when there were not that many reverbs available for the DAW.

Reading this thread, that sure has changed.

billcarroll wrote:
jens wrote:Well, that's a Trance DJ, so you get what it says on the tin...
I thought we were talking about reverb we like?
Yes, exactly - even though this pretends to be an acoustic performance it is highly artificial, plasticy, over-the-top, dishonest - because that's the preferred sound of the target audience - and it of course also greatly affects the choice of reverb (just as it affects the melody, arrangement, lyrics, etc).

edit: It's all just a matter of taste, of course and you are fully entitled to find it gorgeous - but I think likewise I am entitled to express my disdain.
Last edited by jens on Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jens wrote:
Yes, exactly - even though this pretends to be an acoustic performance it is highly artificial, plasticy, over-the-top, dishonest
:?: :?: :?:
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

just my opinion, impression, aesthetical judgement - pleaee forgive me for forgotting to mention that... :shrug:

Return to “Effects”