When and why do you use a compressor in electronic music?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aciddose wrote:I use a compressor to convert my renders to mp3.

Yeah, that's what mine looks like, except a little smaller, and black.

It is black, this is just the reflection from the pool of blood.

It is a little smaller:

Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

GFunk wrote:I mainly use compression for drums. Like you say envelope shaping.
You can emphasise the attack phase if you lengthen the attack. A short release is almost always best.
The higher ratios are good for adding punch where as the lower ratio's are good for adding weight.

I only sometimes use compression on bass. I would first of all try saturation (and lets not forget filter saturation) as this can even up the sound better than a compressor on bass.

On synths I would try to achieve the desired envelope using the synths envelope shaper first of all, but if you are then running it through various post distortion units then you might need one.

Try not to focus on it too much as you can waist a lot to time on it. I often find that at the end of a session I decide to take off the compressor and then go back into the midi window and tweak the velocity values manually.
Thanks for the feedback. Saturation will no doubt be my next topic of interest (look out for my "how do you use saturation..." topic :hihi: )

Return to “Production Techniques”