midi in/linux

Official support for: energy-xt.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I cannot make energy make sound by playing my midi keyboard. I select the "MK-449C USB MIDI Keyboard" under setup->midi->midi inputs. I then select "Midi in Midi in" when right clicking on the label mdaPiano (which btw does make sound with the click-inserted notes) in the tracklist. Nothing is sounding when I play, no notes are to be found in the part after recording/playing.

Anyone have any inputs to share regarding this? A step-by-step guide or similar experiences + solutions would be great!

BTW: I run under linux/jack, but don't see any midi clients in qjackctl when energy is started, is that normal?

Did you use a prefab jack enabled libaam.so or did you compile it yourself?

For me it's working with and without jack. Without any other special actions.

Did you connect the midi in jackctl?

I just started XT2 running under Linux again a few hours ago. I haven't had a chance to try my USB sound card with midi inputs, but you might want to look at your JackCTl midi settings again. Your midi clients, if they are there, should be showing.

I just discovered Patchage. It's awesome for checking and changing your Jack connections. You'll have to get your midi clients working first, though.

By the way, I haven't tried XT2 on Linux since early versions and it's a million times better these days. I'm having a blast.
TIME IS WHAT KEEPS EVERYTHING FROM HAPPENING ALL AT ONCE.

@Kyran:

I compiled libaam.so myself (both from http://www.energy-xt.com/download/jack.cpp and http://svn.jacklab.net/).

First one autoconnects eXT to alsa_pcm in jack, makes no new midi client ports and shows two midi devices under setup in eXT: [MK-449C USB MIDI Keyboard] and [VirMIDI].

The second one doesn't autoconnect to alsa_pcm, makes a new midi client available in qjackctl [energyXT2] with two "sub-clients" "aseq 0" and "aseq 1". In midi devices under setup in XT I see these two again "aseq 0" and "aseq 1". I connect the [MK-449C USB MIDI Keyboard] to [energyXT2] in qjackctl and select both "aseq 0" and "aseq 1" under midi devices in eXT setup (screenshot here http://atte.dk/download/jacklab.png), but still midiin doesn't work.

This is with my (otherwise perfectly working) 2.6.24.3-rt3-custom realtime kernel under ubuntu 7.10. If I boot the regular ubuntu kernel, midiin is working fine (with the "official" libaam.so without doing anything, with jacklabs libaam.so I (obviously have to make the connections, both audio and midi) first.

Nowhere have I seen midiout from eXT, is this not implemented in the linux version?

I guess I could be running wine asio, but that's the same story, midi not working with realtime kernel but works with regular kernel. Since the performance in any other audio app is much better with the realtime kernel, I expect the same to be true for eXT, so while I could run the regular kernel as a workaround for now, it's not really satisfactory.

Any others running rt-kernel? How to report this to Jorgen?

I haven't had time to check out the realtime kernel yet. Everything here works fine with the regular kernel using the jacklab libaam.so

I don't think midi out is working yet on linux, but there's a midiout plugin on the jacklab site, which should get you around this.

I currently can't do anymore testing though, the graphics card on my daw died two days ago :s (and I'm wondering if it's worth investing in a five year old P4)

You can contact Jorgen on support@energy-xt.com
I know he appreciates detailed informative bug reports.

I mailed Jorgen, let's see what happens...

I just had a chance to try midi with XT2 on Linux. I can confirm with some of what others are seeing.

I'm on the latest Aug 1 XT2 beta. My linux is running RT kernel. XT has no midi out (I guess it never does on Linux right now). Midi in didn't work for me, either.

I couldn't get any midi inputs to connect or show up in other programs, although my USB sound card was showing as a midi in in the XT2 setup. I've been using a compiled libaam.so from the XT site sources. I haven't tried the jacklab libaam.so source. It sounds like that libaam.so might be better. Maybe I'll get a chance to try it later today.

wrongtastic, baby
tucson's number one gothic rock band since 1995

Ok that one works. What version is that? I would assume the one from svn to be more recent...

Seems to be kinda in-between, since audio is autoconnected to jack and midi is not...

The above libaam.so gives me midi in, too. Thanks.

that one is newer than the jacklab version, and was created by Drumfix specifically to fix this midi input problem. i'll call it the "drumfix version" even though he is also behind the jacklab version.

jorgen also updated the official version yesterday, so you could try that too.
wrongtastic, baby

insertpizhere wrote:that one is newer than the jacklab version, and was created by Drumfix specifically to fix this midi input problem. i'll call it the "drumfix version" even though he is also behind the jacklab version.

jorgen also updated the official version yesterday, so you could try that too.
the jacklab version and the drumfix version is the same, since drumfix is a member of the jacklab community ;) all previous versions are made by drumfix and more or neither distributed by the jacklab community.
[del]AudioLinux sucks.[/del]

that's true, by "jacklab version" i specifically meant the one at svn.jacklab.net (http://svn.jacklab.net/listing.php?repn ... F#_libaam_), which is nice in some ways but still has the midi input problem on some systems.
wrongtastic, baby

Return to “energyXT”