Solid State Strings

Official support for: indiginus.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I really should be doing something useful (like sampling a guitar or finishing StrumMaker III), but no, I've been playing with this. :roll: It's an experiment, really, and may or may not end up as a release.

Solid State Strings was created using samples of custom patches on a 1980's analogue polysynth. Years ago, while trying to coax orchestra sounds from synths, I dreamed of a synth with 8 oscillators, each with an independent LFO and pitch envelope. How close to orchestral strings could we get then? Well...

Solid State Strings example 1
The LFO(s) intensity and rate were controlled with the ADHSR (see above)

Solid State Strings example 2
OK, I probably shouldn't have tried this one, but I'm a Vaughan Williams fan.
This example was created using version of Solid State Strings made from re-sampled samples of the original to allow for more polyphony. In other words, I played notes on the instrument pictured above, sampled them at minor thirds, and loaded them into Kontakt 3.

Solid State Strings example 3
From a track created for a show. I just replaced the original strings with Solid State to see what would happen. Vibrato (LFO) intensity and rate controlled by the Mod wheel.

So, there are 8 voices playing on each note, each with a unique sample set, LFO (slightly randomized), and pitch env (each with a different shape and randomized depth).
I imagine that someday soon, somebody will introduce orchestral string sections created with individually modeled violins, cellos, violas, and basses. We'll all need faster computers! 8)

TC

These are really nice! You should release them.

I really like the sound of example one. It gives a good impression of a real string section. I'm wondering how it would hold up on faster legato passages?

Return to “Indiginus”