One-Synth-Challenge 23: Any Synth - Submissions

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ogun One Pro-53 SmallQoo Synth1 Ultra Analog VA-2

ONE-SYNTH-CHALLENGE WEBSITE

WHAT:
Create a track using only one synth for all sounds, including percussion.

Free choice of synth as long as it does not include samples or wavetables. This will be a first for the challenge where even commercial synths and effects can be used. Thanks to Olikana for idea, format and write-up.

HOW:
Read the general rules HERE and specific to the competition HERE.

Last day for submissions is 31st December (KVR time)

INFO:
As a festivity special OSC, we are allowing you to use any synth of your choice (whether freeware or commercial) provided it's a VA/subtractive. This is to provide some sort of common ground for the challengers. There might be another 'Any OSC' dedicated to other types of synths (fm operator synths, chip synths, etc) in the future if there'll be enough interest for it.

To avoid it being a collection of already made demo songs and in line with the festivity period we've added a theme for this comp: the composition must include "bells".

NOTE:
The general OSC rules have been updated before this competition, but are basically the same as before except the mp3 naming format (artist before song) and that mp3's should be tagged (using the same name and title as the file name (pics in tags are ok)) See the FAQ for how to tag mp3's.

PRIZES:
Wusik : Wusik Station V6 Full + Wusik EVE V2 Full
GSI : Free choice of one plugin
[url=hhttp://www.genuinesoundware.com]Image[/url]
MaxSynths : Cryologic + Teutonic Tension + aPiano
Bassline Records : Soundsets for Sylenth1 and Predator
Electric Himalaya : Free choice of one soundset (as sold directly via the website)
Luftrum : Luftrum5 - a ReFill for Reason
Any other offers of prizes will be appreciated.
Last edited by V'ger on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:27 am, edited 9 times in total.

think i'll give this a shot have some ?'s though as the rules are a bit vague

-i see no chorus, phaser, flanger, but what if the synth has them built in?

-are guitar amps, wah wah pedals, distortion, or rotary speaker sims allowed?
http://drunk3nj3sus.blogspot.com/ < My blog
Free samples, presets, etc.

drunken jesus wrote:think i'll give this a shot have some ?'s though as the rules are a bit vague

never noticed this. it's in the general rules which applies to all comps apparently .
hm...i'd personally allow any effect....just as long as they are not overused.
keep in mind the challenge is about the synth after all (would be curious one day to have a comp with no effects at all).

i was never aware things like chorus were not allowed? it's a popular effect to use with synths and i'm sure it was used in previous comps. i'll contact voyager and see if the effect rule can be scrapped at least for this "anything goes" comp.
and personally chorus is the first effect i'd put on my bells :P

Great to see you doing one for commercial softsynths! Are commercial developers themselves allowed to enter? I happen to know of a GREAT VA synth for making bell sounds. :hihi:

AdmiralQuality wrote:Great to see you doing one for commercial softsynths! Are commercial developers themselves allowed to enter? I happen to know of a GREAT VA synth for making bell sounds. :hihi:
Why don't you donate a licence and support the christmas synth challenge? :D
Just a thought.

Rob

rob_lee wrote:
AdmiralQuality wrote:Great to see you doing one for commercial softsynths! Are commercial developers themselves allowed to enter? I happen to know of a GREAT VA synth for making bell sounds. :hihi:
Why don't you donate a licence and support the christmas synth challenge? :D
Just a thought.

Rob
hehe good idea if a developer enters the comp he must donate a licence :hihi:

rob_lee wrote: Why don't you donate a licence and support the christmas synth challenge? :D
Just a thought.

Rob
I'd like to stay at arm's length this month so I can enter myself. Also, I'm going to let all my friends and customers know, so there's a chance Poly-Ana might win this one (due to the audio-rate modulation possibilities, Poly-Ana is great at turning the usual squares, saws, tri's and sines into bell-like tones). So I think it would seem a bit weird if it was on the prize list as well.

But I'd be happy to sponsor some future OSC. Good idea!

That would be brilliant 8)
drunken jesus wrote:think i'll give this a shot have some ?'s though as the rules are a bit vague

Whatever is in the synth is of course allowed as the rule was for external effects, but since this comp is any synth let's make it any effects too as long they don't alter the synth sound beyond recognition. I'll update the rules to make this clear.

What about synths that can also use samples, like Alchemy or Wusik Station?

I guess I'll use an FM synth (FM8, Sytrus or Toxic Biohazard), though. I'd love to delve into FM synthesis and what's capable of bells if not an FM synth?

from the rules
# Synth must be a subtractive/virtual analog softsynth
# Synth must generate its own oscillator sound (sample or wavetable based synths are not allowed)
# Synth's oscillators limited to the classic analog waveforms: saw (ramp), square, triangle (or sine) and noise
;)

paterpeter wrote:What about synths that can also use samples, like Alchemy or Wusik Station?

I guess I'll use an FM synth (FM8, Sytrus or Toxic Biohazard), though. I'd love to delve into FM synthesis and what's capable of bells if not an FM synth?
this "any synth" is only open to VAs/subractives to give some sort of common ground for the comp.

but u are allowed to use analog style FM on your VA(cross modulation, xmod or however it's called on the synth u wish to use) . i bet that's what most people will use to make their bells.
most VAs should offer this feature and was widely available on classic analog synths such as the pro-one, monopoly,polyvoks,the JXs etc etc

next year or whenever the next one will be we could try one dedicated to digital style FM operator synths. we didn't wanna risk it first time around as FM synths are scary territory for many and also the freeware options are nlimited.

btw @all :the challenge is not just about making bells...but about making an entire track with teh chosen synth.
all other sounds in the track are just as important.
Last edited by olikana on Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Oops, a typical case of RTFM - sorry guys for not reading the rules first :-)

I guess Rapture, z3ta+, Massive or even Zebra are not allowed then, as they are wave table synths, right?

Now that I think of it, after having spent hundreds of Euros this year on gear, none of it is a real VA that also does analog-ish FM/RM. I guess I'll either stick to a freeware synth or get me V-Station, which is the cheapest commercial VA I know of that does FM.

Sytrus can be used... as fl says it's subtractive but additive (hybrid)... ? And it's been said we can use only square/saw/sine

paterpeter wrote:I guess Rapture, z3ta+, Massive or even Zebra are not allowed then, as they are wave table synths, right?
As far as I remember recent versions of NI Massive has a VA section which you can use instead of the wavetables. z3ta+, I think it is a virtual analog as well (excluding the wavetables from it's osc)... but with detailed oscilator options.... Zebra as well....
Some of the real analog synths are controlled digitaly as well.

3ee wrote:
paterpeter wrote:I guess Rapture, z3ta+, Massive or even Zebra are not allowed then, as they are wave table synths, right?
As far as I remember recent versions of NI Massive has a VA section which you can use instead of the wavetables. z3ta+, I think it is a virtual analog as well (excluding the wavetables from it's osc)... but with detailed oscilator options.... Zebra as well....
Some of the real analog synths are controlled digitaly as well.
if they include wavetables or sample content they are not allowed in this challenge.
Synth's oscillators should be limited to the classic analog waveforms and must be self generated by the synth itself,as per rules.
even a rompler like Naxus has a VA section....hybrids are best left out of this comp.
Last edited by olikana on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”