What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

The long DIVA thread

Official support for: u-he.com

Moderator: Urs

KVRist

106 posts since 5 Mar, 2010

Postby SeePlusPlus; Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:18 am

what a crazy-ass joke
insane
midi retrofit
KVRian

905 posts since 14 Oct, 2002, from Sweden

Postby nBeat; Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:48 am

aMUSEd wrote:No substitute for a Real Hamster:

http://www.realhamster.com/
OMG :shock:
KVRist

418 posts since 1 May, 2002, from Kalispell, MT

Postby GruvSyco; Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:43 pm

aMUSEd wrote:
nBeat wrote:
GruvSyco wrote:You should build it into a "real doll" and a keg and espresso maker. You could bill it as the most fun you could have with a synth.
I did a search on "real doll". :lol: :lol:

No substitute for a Real Hamster:

http://www.realhamster.com/

if I said that link is full of awesomesauce, would that be wrong?

(for the record I don't really use that term)
KVRist

114 posts since 15 Jan, 2012, from Germany

Postby phazedown; Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:09 pm

I was using a trial of Arturia Minimoog before and almost decided to purchase it because I liked its warm sound and the limitation to the most important functions (I'm trying but can do pretty much nothing besides tweaking presets, haha).
Yesterday I was looking around for some alternatives and found U-He Diva.

Truely the best thing that could happen to me. Now I got even more sounds (especially for nice pads), a far better interface, expandle windows, a dongle free software, a good userbase and as far as I can judge yet the code is well written with really complex algorithms - for a lower price. Couldn't believe that.

Just looking forward to the promised multicore support, my notebook (i5 / 4GB RAM / bad cooling) is running at 55% when just two instances of Diva are running in a project at second lowest quality. I can handle that for the love of the quality and guess this won't be a topic in summer anymore.

Seeing I missed the intro by just one month does hurt a little.
But still, I'm really happy. Seems like a good deal for my first synth :hyper:
Urs
u-he

16420 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:25 pm

Thanks Phaze!

Multicore looks promising, but it's still a hell of a lot of work, and we don't know yet if it really pans out. Our internal (working) multicore version just so gets twice the number of voices out of 8 cores.

We're looking into many possibilities to gain speed though. There's a tiny chance for an algorithm that sounds almost divine, at a fraction of the cost. This needs to be investigated. And of course there's GPUs, AVX and what not, which as of yet is rather experimental or hypothetical as a viable solution.
KVRist

194 posts since 15 Feb, 2012, from France

Postby nilhartman; Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:03 am

First, i want to say how much I love Diva. She sounds fantastic.

I'm eagerly waiting for multicore-support thought, as she sometimes put my super fast computer on its knees in Divine Mode. I'm really looking forward that "almost Divine" mode too.

Urs, I have a question about the several accuracy modes : IIRC, oversampling occurs when using higher accuracy, right ? If so, is that oversampling dependent on the host sample rate ? Or do Divine mode sounds the same whether the host sample rate is in 44,1kHz or 96kHz ?
I'm used to worked in 24/96, but if Diva in Divine mode sounds the same at lower sample rates then I may switch to 48kHz or so to gain some CPU resources.

Thanks !

PS : I'm not in the studio so I can't test it myself yet.
KVRAF

7906 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:31 am

Interesting to see the thread about the new Tone 2 synth. There is a short FAQ posted and the third question is:

Q: Will Tone2 Saurus have those fancy 0-delay filters?
KVRAF

2819 posts since 10 Sep, 2003, from Karlskoga, Stockholm, Sweden

Postby Crackbaby; Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:25 am

pdxindy wrote:Interesting to see the thread about the new Tone 2 synth. There is a short FAQ posted and the third question is:

Haha yeah! I chuckled a bit at it :)
Elektron Machinedrum Mk1 UW, Analog4, Octatrack
Soundcraft EFX12, Alesis 3630, Nanocompressor, Zoom G13, Tapco 3630
Gordon-Smith Gypsy, Yamaha THR10, P-80
M-Audio Delta 24/96 PCI
KVRAF

7906 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:26 am

Crackbaby wrote:
pdxindy wrote:Interesting to see the thread about the new Tone 2 synth. There is a short FAQ posted and the third question is:

Haha yeah! I chuckled a bit at it :)

me too... Diva is shaping the discussion :)
Urs
u-he

Postby Urs; Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:05 pm

No worries. Many filters have been 0-delay for a long time, even MFM 1.0 had them, back in 2002.

Diva however has 0-delay-feedback-filters.
KVRAF

5395 posts since 13 Feb, 2006, from Wiesmoor, Germany

Postby Bronto Scorpio; Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:00 am

Urs wrote:No worries. Many filters have been 0-delay for a long time, even MFM 1.0 had them, back in 2002.

:lol:
KVRist

114 posts since 15 Jan, 2012, from Germany

Postby phazedown; Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:46 am

Alright, good to hear stuff is in development :P

So can anyone guess how much I would benefit from upgrading 4GB DDR3 RAM to 8GB DDR3 RAM and replacing 32bit Ableton Live with a 64bit DAW?

(in case that info is needed: µTonic drums + subtle delays require 15% cpu load, Win7 64bit, i5 430-M (only one core used yet), 7200rpm HDD, network disabled etc. and I use the Allen&Heath Xone:DX controller via USB as my soundcard)

CPU load: almost the same / -10% / -20% / -30% / -40% / -50% / -60% ?
Just would like to know if it's worth a try, the upgrade itself would be cheap.
My guess would be <20% but I actually have no idea ..
Urs
u-he

Postby Urs; Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:18 am

I suppose that it has to be expected that one day some developer will come along claiming that 0-delay-feedback-filters were doable with "low cpu" with any whatever "different" method, but still preserve analogue-style non-linear elements, self oscillation and oversampling. But alas, there's no way around heavy maths that comes at a high cost. See UAD Moog filter for reference - biggest cpu hog on my UAD2.

I'm considering as follows: We would publish a formula of a popular open source filter in zero-delay-feedback form and unoptimised but working code. We will also post our heavily optimised implementation as closed binary in a plugin, along with a test scenario. We will then challenge any developer to implement the same formula within a set margin of accuracy and means (SSE etc.) in a significantly faster way. If they manage to make it use less than a third of cpu on the same data, then I'll start believing in methods for low cpu versions.
Urs
u-he

Postby Urs; Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:20 am

phazedown wrote:Alright, good to hear stuff is in development :P

So can anyone guess how much I would benefit from upgrading 4GB DDR3 RAM to 8GB DDR3 RAM and replacing 32bit Ableton Live with a 64bit DAW?

(in case that info is needed: µTonic drums + subtle delays require 15% cpu load, Win7 64bit, i5 430-M (only one core used yet), 7200rpm HDD, network disabled etc. and I use the Allen&Heath Xone:DX controller via USB as my soundcard)

CPU load: almost the same / -10% / -20% / -30% / -40% / -50% / -60% ?
Just would like to know if it's worth a try, the upgrade itself would be cheap.
My guess would be <20% but I actually have no idea ..

The RAM has no effect on Diva, I'm afraid :oops:

Dunno about 64 bit... twice the registers, but more memory consumption... hard to say...
KVRian

900 posts since 28 May, 2002, from UK

Postby Arksun; Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:38 am

Urs wrote:No worries. Many filters have been 0-delay for a long time, even MFM 1.0 had them, back in 2002.

And there we have it :D

I must say out of the 4 filters, so far my favourite has been the Multimode filter, can really get some lovely thick solid tone out of that thing.
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com
PreviousNext

Moderator: Urs

Return to u-he