What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Music without the right "artist" is dead

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

trimph1
KVRAF
 
13739 posts since 23 Jun, 2010, from north of London ON

Postby trimph1; Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Tricky-Loops wrote:
dalor wrote:
itsDavidAbraham wrote:Take your best production, put a talented local singer on it. It goes nowhere,

put Rihanna on it, Same lyrics same melodies.

It goes everywhere and you're rich.
Almost. You forgot one step: On sundays play golf with Sony Music CEO Doug Morris and THEN you're rich.
Works only for young pretty girlz... :wink:


Us ugly butts don't stand a chance..... :cry: :shock: :D :D :D
Barry
The man who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran
http://www.ambientonline.org/
User avatar
dalor
KVRAF
 
2506 posts since 1 Dec, 2004, from Sydney, Australia

Postby dalor; Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:04 pm

trimph1 wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
dalor wrote:
itsDavidAbraham wrote:Take your best production, put a talented local singer on it. It goes nowhere,

put Rihanna on it, Same lyrics same melodies.

It goes everywhere and you're rich.
Almost. You forgot one step: On sundays play golf with Sony Music CEO Doug Morris and THEN you're rich.
Works only for young pretty girlz... :wink:


Us ugly butts don't stand a chance..... :cry: :shock: :D :D :D
Thats what deadmau5 and daft punk must have thought of themselves and found a workaround :hihi:
Cowbells!
Acrobat
KVRian
 
892 posts since 9 Aug, 2004, from Rome, Italy

Postby Acrobat; Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:04 am

itsDavidAbraham wrote:Take your best production, put a talented local singer on it. It goes nowhere,

put Rihanna on it, Same lyrics same melodies.

It goes everywhere and you're rich.


that's not MUSIC, it's called "softcore". :)
"For some reason everyone on this site hates Roger Nichols, loves Zebra, doesn't need a Virus (unless it's TI), uses Reaper, and thinks the Kaoss pad is cool: remember these rules and you'll be popular." (blackboyrockinit)
itsDavidAbraham
KVRist
 
59 posts since 17 Sep, 2011

Postby itsDavidAbraham; Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:58 am

A.M. Gold wrote:Except no one feeds Rihanna any decent songs.


She's had a few, of course she's only one of many artists that can sell almost anything now...there's the Biebster and also Katy Perry...who's songs I actually love
User avatar
osiris
KVRAF
 
7320 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:40 am

I love Rhianna. And she's one of the few out there who can actually sing.
She was on SNL a couple of weeks ago and was amazing. I think I know what you're getting at though. She's someone who's 'got it'. You just can't take your eyes off of her when she's performing.
And she loves to perform. I'm sure if you found someone like that you could 'make' them a star.
The thing about Rhianna is she's smart enough to corral the best songwriters and producers around.
I doubt she could do a version of, say - Zippity -Doo- Da and it would be a hit....
User avatar
herodotus
KVRAF
 
4919 posts since 8 Dec, 2004, from The Twin Cities

Postby herodotus; Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:34 am

Tight Snare wrote:
We do not complain that the heavily marketed and branded instant 'meal' based on noodles and a plastic pot is destroying cuisine. This is because we understand it is not supposed to compete with traditional noodle dishes - or any other form of genuine and 'serious' cuisine.


That depends upon who 'we' is. There are many very serious people who think that instant food is destroying serious eating, and there are many people who think that the best food in the world is McDonalds.



IOW we understand that 'food' takes many forms ...... from the heavily processed, convenience snack food which is nutritionally worthless - to real home baked scrummy dish with fresh ingredients, prepared and cooked by a genuine foodie.

But with 'music' we have yet to fully and properly make that distinction.


This I tend to agree with. The purposes, methods and aesthetics of these different kinds of music are quite distinct. The problem is that, for many people, 'commercially produced musical entertainment' is completely synonymous with 'music', the art form. Just look through some of the threads here about experimental or avant-garde music to find all kinds of pop-star-producer-wannabes and their enablers snickering rudely at the notion of making interesting music that isn't commercial. You will see, ad nauseum, the same accusations over and over again: "people who make this crap just can't write or sing a tune LOL" or "This is just trying to appeal to cooler-than-thou dipshits who really like Rihanna but pretend not to LOL".

The problem is our definitions of 'music' (et al) have not kept up with 21st century changes.
I agree, but 'Music' was an overstretched concept long before the internet.
User avatar
osiris
KVRAF
 
7320 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:29 am

I like Rhianna...
I LOVE Florence and The Machine.
Feel better.
itsDavidAbraham
KVRist
 
59 posts since 17 Sep, 2011

Postby itsDavidAbraham; Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:44 am

osiris wrote:The thing about Rhianna is she's smart enough to corral the best songwriters and producers around.
I doubt she could do a version of, say - Zippity -Doo- Da and it would be a hit....


You know what I think she could. With the right beat and Lil' Wayne on a feature. They could take that into all kinds of directions
User avatar
ariston
KVRAF
 
2831 posts since 28 Jun, 2009, from Wherever I lay my hat

Postby ariston; Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:51 am

itsDavidAbraham wrote:
osiris wrote:The thing about Rhianna is she's smart enough to corral the best songwriters and producers around.
I doubt she could do a version of, say - Zippity -Doo- Da and it would be a hit....


You know what I think she could. With the right beat and Lil' Wayne on a feature. They could take that into all kinds of directions


She'll do that kinda thing when she's over the hill and goes Disney to save her career. :hihi:
Maybe a remake of Mary Poppins with a 45-year-old Rihanna in the title role? Lil' Wayne could do the Dick van Dyke part.
User avatar
murnau
KVRAF
 
2696 posts since 13 Jan, 2005, from Deutschland

Postby murnau; Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:30 am

itsDavidAbraham wrote:Take your best production, put a talented local singer on it. It goes nowhere,

put Rihanna on it, Same lyrics same melodies.

It goes everywhere and you're rich.


this have really nothing to do with the singer/"artist". you oversimplify and confuse the issue.
“Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more” ― Nikola Tesla
itsDavidAbraham
KVRist
 
59 posts since 17 Sep, 2011

Postby itsDavidAbraham; Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:56 am

murnau wrote:
this have really nothing to do with the singer/"artist". you oversimplify and confuse the issue.


I don't think so but I'm open to alternative opinions, what's your take on it?
Tight Snare
KVRist
 
60 posts since 16 Dec, 2010

Postby Tight Snare; Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:33 am

herodotus wrote:
Tight Snare wrote:
We do not complain that the heavily marketed and branded instant 'meal' based on noodles and a plastic pot is destroying cuisine. This is because we understand it is not supposed to compete with traditional noodle dishes - or any other form of genuine and 'serious' cuisine.


That depends upon who 'we' is. There are many very serious people who think that instant food is destroying serious eating, and there are many people who think that the best food in the world is McDonalds.



Destroying eating habits maybe...... but not destroying the art of cooking per se, because we understand that fast food has nothing to do with the art of cooking.

But I think we basically agree - I'm just being pedantic :)

Reading these comments, I don't know how anyone can like Rhianna (I'm not suggesting you do). I've nothing against slick, over produced, image based pop.... (just like I've nothing against pot noodles) .... but the 'energy' is just so bad with brand Rhianna it always hits me in the face like a giant fart.

She's obviously one of those acts which is being used to brainwash the youth. And for all the 'coincidence theorists' out there I would say this: if popular entertainment wasn't being used to indoctrinate the youth today then it would be the first time in history!

I mean come one ..... even Hitler would have found this a bit OTT :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I17r-Re9yOI
jopy
KVRian
 
1483 posts since 13 Nov, 2005, from St. Paul

Postby jopy; Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:39 am

Holy frickin' Godwin!
itsDavidAbraham
KVRist
 
59 posts since 17 Sep, 2011

Postby itsDavidAbraham; Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:15 pm

Tight Snare wrote:
She's obviously one of those acts which is being used to brainwash the youth. And for all the 'coincidence theorists' out there I would say this: if popular entertainment wasn't being used to indoctrinate the youth today then it would be the first time in history!

I mean come one ..... even Hitler would have found this a bit OTT :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I17r-Re9yOI


I see it the other way around. The pop acts are a reflection of what the youth have become.
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Everything Else (Music related)