What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Would you buy a new version of Tracktion if it were released?

Discussion about: tracktion.com

Moderators: ModuLR, valley, jules, TSC

Would you prepay for a new version of Tracktion if it were crowdsourced?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Yes
95
85%
No
17
15%
 
Total votes : 112
User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
 
21221 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:59 am

jens wrote:
rpc9943 wrote:I'd pay a crowdshare, whatever the hell it is, to find out what the hells going on in here. Really I would.


There's the old RonC as we know him. :D


Not quite; he hasn't asked 'is it ready yet' 272 times.
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
rpc9943
KVRAF
 
6541 posts since 14 Jun, 2004, from Rochester, NY

Postby rpc9943; Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:04 am

It's obviously not ready, so why waste my time, bunnyboy?
User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
 
21221 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:16 am

rpc9943 wrote:It's obviously not ready, so why waste my time, bunnyboy?


Ive met BunnyBoy, and he's not me.
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
metamorphosis
KVRAF
 
3419 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Hamilton, New Zealand

Postby metamorphosis; Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:45 pm

mfkne wrote:Jules stated that this might be not neccessary. We just have to wait a bit...


Still worthwhile to vote on this topic though, just to show how many people "may or may not" be interested in a new version.
m@
XP/Vista/Win7/Win8 Optimisation, DAW Tips, AudioXP - XPFree
I made an oddly-acoustic album and an electronica thing and an alt-metal doohicky...
carmenguitar
KVRer
 
10 posts since 16 Nov, 2012

Postby carmenguitar; Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:32 pm

thanks metamorphosis - my thoughts exactly
Carmen Sorge
Sorge Sound Studios
www.sorgestudios.com
(905) 834-9898
metamorphosis
KVRAF
 
3419 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Hamilton, New Zealand

Postby metamorphosis; Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:31 pm

Updated the thread title, consider the poll title changed, even though I can't actually change it. The gist of the matter is unchanged.
M@
XP/Vista/Win7/Win8 Optimisation, DAW Tips, AudioXP - XPFree
I made an oddly-acoustic album and an electronica thing and an alt-metal doohicky...
koolkeys
KVRAF
 
16079 posts since 2 Dec, 2003, from Nashville, TN

Postby koolkeys; Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:43 am

Been watching this closely..............best news I've heard on KVR for a while.

Just the thought of the possibility of the "good ole days" returning in even a small way, is a big deal.

And to see some of the old crowd back in here excited as well? Love it.

Brent
skipkent
KVRian
 
1112 posts since 21 Jul, 2004

Postby skipkent; Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:56 pm

jules wrote:Thanks guys!

Really great that you're all offering support like this, but there's no need to worry about crowd-sourcing or anything like that - all that's required is a little patience until things can be revealed..


WHOLE

EEE

SHITE!

Just reading this thread now for the first time. I haven't been recording much lately, but if T were to be re-released under Jule's capable eye, I'd buy it up in a heartbeat.

Just seeing Jules posting in this forum is a hoot!
Music is something you DO. Spend time, not money.
http://www.myspace.com/skipkent
http://soundcloud.com/skipkent
ModuLR
KVRAF
 
1976 posts since 20 Jun, 2002, from Earth

Postby ModuLR; Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Looks like I'm late to the party, even if we don't know if it's a party or not. Would I pay? YES. yES. YEs. Shit, I would pay more... period. Never found a replacement for T. Just gimme the basics, good ol' T, and I'm all over it... no question.
ModuLR / Radio
mfkne
KVRist
 
183 posts since 17 Sep, 2004, from Good Old Germany

Postby mfkne; Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:27 pm

njon6 wrote:I'd jump in that pool were it to go back into the hands of Jules.


Interesting. i contacted him in February and asked him to work on Tracktion again. He answered that he unfortunately has not the time to do this. so - has he (re-)written a complete new app in a bit more than half a year? :shock:

however, i would pay up to 200 bucks for a new stable version. I am on Mac - you understand what I mean... :(
koolkeys
KVRAF
 
16079 posts since 2 Dec, 2003, from Nashville, TN

Postby koolkeys; Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:16 am

mfkne wrote:
njon6 wrote:I'd jump in that pool were it to go back into the hands of Jules.


Interesting. i contacted him in February and asked him to work on Tracktion again. He answered that he unfortunately has not the time to do this. so - has he (re-)written a complete new app in a bit more than half a year? :shock:

however, i would pay up to 200 bucks for a new stable version. I am on Mac - you understand what I mean... :(
A lot can change in a few months. And he wouldn't have to start from scratch. It's likely that if he did go forward, he still had at LEAST the original code base from the pre-Mackie days. But I would guess he even has it in it's current form as he was always kind of kept around(to my knowledge) as a consultant, even if only very very part-time.

Plus, he still develops the JUCE format that HE created, and that is the complete base for Tracktion. So it's not unthinkable that he could jump right back in.

With that being said, we also don't know if there is perhaps other developers on board. Maybe even another company. We don't know. We can only hope that it's coming back in a big way, and there is nobody better to do it than Jules.

Brent
mfkne
KVRist
 
183 posts since 17 Sep, 2004, from Good Old Germany

Postby mfkne; Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:25 am

agree.
valley
KVRAF
 
4636 posts since 28 Nov, 2002, from Chicago

Postby valley; Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:40 am

koolkeys wrote: And he wouldn't have to start from scratch. It's likely that if he did go forward, he still had at LEAST the original code base from the pre-Mackie days. But I would guess he even has it in it's current form as he was always kind of kept around(to my knowledge) as a consultant, even if only very very part-time.


If whatever may or may not be in development is to be called Tracktion, then either it'll be a Mackie product, or someone has bought the name from Mackie. Jules can't just decide to release a T4 without Mackie's blessing as they own the rights to the name and IP (including I'd imagine T1's code). Be this a Mackie product, a Jules product, or some currently unknown 3rd party, if it is to be a Tracktion, then Jules will have access to T3's code.

Plus, he still develops the JUCE format that HE created, and that is the complete base for Tracktion. So it's not unthinkable that he could jump right back in.


Moving the Tracktion code base to JUCE 2.0 alone would provide a bunch of small but discernible improvements: improved ASIO support, AU support, more efficient UI rendering, increased robustness to name just the obvious.

That's not a small undertaking though.
Someone shot the food. Remember: don't shoot food!
koolkeys
KVRAF
 
16079 posts since 2 Dec, 2003, from Nashville, TN

Postby koolkeys; Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:47 am

valley wrote:
koolkeys wrote: And he wouldn't have to start from scratch. It's likely that if he did go forward, he still had at LEAST the original code base from the pre-Mackie days. But I would guess he even has it in it's current form as he was always kind of kept around(to my knowledge) as a consultant, even if only very very part-time.


If whatever may or may not be in development is to be called Tracktion, then either it'll be a Mackie product, or someone has bought the name from Mackie. Jules can't just decide to release a T4 without Mackie's blessing as they own the rights to the name and IP (including I'd imagine T1's code). Be this a Mackie product, a Jules product, or some currently unknown 3rd party, if it is to be a Tracktion, then Jules will have access to T3's code.
Absolutely! Obviously, Mackie would have had to sign off on him "taking it back". Seeing as the forum changed names but still kept the Tracktion name, and that Jules holds the title of Chief Tracktioneer, I'm only GUESSING that he has the rights back. And yes, that would mean he has access to the T3 code.

Good points indeed.

Plus, he still develops the JUCE format that HE created, and that is the complete base for Tracktion. So it's not unthinkable that he could jump right back in.


Moving the Tracktion code base to JUCE 2.0 alone would provide a bunch of small but discernible improvements: improved ASIO support, AU support, more efficient UI rendering, increased robustness to name just the obvious.

That's not a small undertaking though.
Yeah, I don't know how vast of a task that would be, seeing as I'm not a programmer. So I bet it would be, and you definitely understand it deeper than I do. But the key is that he at least wouldn't have to start with unfamiliar code, or start from scratch. He would be able to get around it pretty well compared to a programmer that is brand new to a piece of software. Many times when new programmers come on, there is a slight delay in development as they get themselves familiar with everything. That wouldn't be as extreme here, I'm guessing.

But then, it is ONLY a guess on my part.

Brent
User avatar
mcnelson
KVRian
 
651 posts since 26 Mar, 2004, from Surrey, UK

Postby mcnelson; Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:16 pm

koolkeys wrote:Yeah, I don't know how vast of a task that would be, seeing as I'm not a programmer. So I bet it would be, and you definitely understand it deeper than I do. But the key is that he at least wouldn't have to start with unfamiliar code, or start from scratch. He would be able to get around it pretty well compared to a programmer that is brand new to a piece of software. Many times when new programmers come on, there is a slight delay in development as they get themselves familiar with everything. That wouldn't be as extreme here, I'm guessing.

But then, it is ONLY a guess on my part.

Brent


The post on the JUCE forum stated that it wasn't a solo endeavour. My guess is that he has help from the certain members of the JUCE community who have sworn an oath of secrecy. :?:
ABLETON LIVE 9 : TRACKTION 5 : AUDIO DAMAGE : SONIC CHARGE : SUGAR BYTES : TWISTED TOOLS
Nation of Korea vs Sh*tty Dog
PreviousNext

Moderators: ModuLR, valley, jules, TSC

Return to Tracktion