Soundset/Sample Library Framedrum for Alchemy released on patchpool

Official support for: patchpool.de
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,

After some intense weeks with my Framedrum I just released my new Alchemy soundset:

Framedrum for Alchemy contains multisampled framedrum instruments with up to 4 velocity layers and 8 variations per sample (Round Robin). Played with hands and fingers in the centre and on the rim of the drum, rubbing the skin, playing the drum with mallets and sticks and treating it with various objects and materials like rubber balls, tibetian soundbowl, chopsticks, rice and peanuts (in their shell). I played and sampled a Meinl 22" Tar African Brown Framedrum with Goat Skin Head to produce the samples for this set.

This set also contains many patches made from processed Framedrum sounds, treated with granulators, stretching devices, saturators, distortion units, spectral tools, pitch shifters, convolution reverbs and more exotic FX Plug-Ins resulting in a large variety of beautiful and dramatic soundscapes and textures, dark and massive drones, percussive synths, mysterious noises, rich pads, edgy synth sounds and massive impacts.

As nothing beats a real drumming performance there is also a collection of loops in various time signatures, all synced to host tempo by using Alchemy's granular mode and temposynced MSEGs and LFOs.

This set compiled 63 patches / 1 variation with 8 Snapshots each in the Remix Pad, the sample folder contains 1.61 Gigabyte of original samples, 35 MB of resynthed files are included. 35 sfz-files are also included so that you can use the samples and sfzs in other samplers as well.

All Framedrum samples were recorded with 3 Neumann microphones in L-C-R 
in 48 Khz/24 Bit - U87 center mic - a stereo set of KM 184 for L-R.

As in all my soundsets for Alchemy I make extensive use of Alchemy's complex modulation possibilities and Filters, often intermodulatin LFOs/MSEGs/Sequencers with each other and assigning numerous parameters to a single Controller. This enables the user to deeply interact with the sounds and shape it according to his needs and preferences. Also the patches can serve as a starting point for the user's own creations when loading new samples into them and then using the pre-assigned Controllers and Snapshots in the Remix Pad.

NOTE: This Sound Bank requires the full version of Alchemy.
It does not work with the Alchemy player version.

You can view/download the PDF for this library with more details, the licence agreement, some pics and the patchlist, including playing tips and descriptions for each patch here.
  • Delivery: Download
    Library size in total: 1.64 GB
    Download size (RAR archive in 2 parts): 1.03 GB
    Price (paypal): € 33 Euros
Product page

All demos were produced entirely with Alchemy using only patches from Framedrum for Alchemy, no post-processing was applied apart from a Limiter on the Master Outputs:
http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/s ... r-alchemy/

Thank's for reading

Simon Stockhausen :party:
Last edited by Sampleconstruct on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

I bought this for myself for Christmas and I'm previewing and rating the presets now. Your patches are so addictive!

I saw a picture of the superballs on the framedrum so I have an idea of its size, but there is not much in the PDF about the instrument itself. Can you post some more physical data and maybe a full-sized picture?

Thanks!
Jim Hurley - experimental music
Windows 10 Pro (20H2 19042.662); i9-9900K@5.1GHz;
Cakewalk; Adam Audio A8X; Axiom 61

arachnaut wrote:I bought this for myself for Christmas and I'm previewing and rating the presets now. Your patches are so addictive!

I saw a picture of the superballs on the framedrum so I have an idea of its size, but there is not much in the PDF about the instrument itself. Can you post some more physical data and maybe a full-sized picture?

Thanks!
Thank's Jim, the Framedrum I used is a Meinl 22" Tar African Brown Frame Drum with Goat Skin Head, here is a link to a bigger pic I found on the web as I haven't made a good pic of it yet:

Post by Jim moved over here from the other thread:
arachnaut wrote: I'm previewing the sounds and setting up my ratings just now, so I may write more later. I am enjoying the wide range of sounds - percussive, soundscapes, and just plain odd.

The presets names are also enjoyable. I've read about people preserving their drum skins with lanolin and oil-based products. Since you used peanuts, it would have been neat to hear a 'peanut-butter' mix!

arachnaut wrote: I'm previewing the sounds and setting up my ratings just now, so I may write more later. I am enjoying the wide range of sounds - percussive, soundscapes, and just plain odd.

The presets names are also enjoyable. I've read about people preserving their drum skins with lanolin and oil-based products. Since you used peanuts, it would have been neat to hear a 'peanut-butter' mix!
Haha, I promised to myself this time not to damage the instrument too much, so I skipped the peanut butter, water experiments, drills and screwdrivers and whatnot...

And here is another vid demonstrating the Framedrum patch "FD 5 Art Split 4Vel RR4" - meaning 5 articulations with 4 velocity layers each and 8 variations per sample (Round Robin):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv5p3aBb1rk

And here is a video with a little night impro using the patch "Framedrum Gongs All untuned"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2xVtlduKFw

Loopy C posted this in the pre-order thread, so I thought I might copy into the release thread as well:
Loopy C wrote:So here is my unashamedly gushing, and positive first impressions of the 'Framedrum' sound set :)

First of all...this set should be called 'Way Beyond The Frame...drum"!

Using Alchemy's new 'Browser' settings and switching to the 'Ambient' category of this sound set...one could get lost for days in the derivations from initial percussive sounds centered around (but not limited to) a uniquely approached framedrum. This is some deep stuff...exponential multiplied by the skill of Patchpool programming to make each and every 'morph pad' a completely unique and useful variation WHILE maintaining a pleasing aural pathway to all it's neighbor pads. That's eight times of ear-grabbing, interesting, and creative narratives on a theme-per-patch, very nice.

Playing through many of the 'pads', the balance of spectral manipulations and granular textures is nicely achieved. Just the right amount of performance variation, as expected from a player of Simon's caliber, make these soundsets a joy to explore via external controllers without ending up in any overcooked digital extremes.

In my book, all of Patchpool's sets benefit and draw from an unusual combination of bona-fide modern compositional pedigree, meticulous sound sampling conception and production, master-crafted sound design, and just plain musicality and playability despite the extreme pushing of envelopes in many of the sets.

All users of Alchemy ( and special notice 'movie trailer people', I heard some very 'Ridley Scott', 'can't scream in space' sci-fi tropes in my first check-out) owe themselves the treat of this and other Patchpool soundsets for Alchemy, highly recommended ;-)

God help me when I get to the actual 'meant-to-be-percussively representative/useful as drum' focus of this set!!

Currently still active in my first session with 'Framedrum', but since it took me several weeks to finally get to it I wanted to post at least something given my very positive initial explorations and usage so far ;-)
Last edited by Sampleconstruct on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I agree with Loopy C.

I have yet to use Framedrum as a percussive tool - it's much more than that.
Jim Hurley - experimental music
Windows 10 Pro (20H2 19042.662); i9-9900K@5.1GHz;
Cakewalk; Adam Audio A8X; Axiom 61

I don't know what took me so long. i finally picked up Framedrum. I had some initial difficulties getting the download link to work, but Simon very quickly set up an alternative link and log in that worked great. Very helpful and responsive.
I am in awe what a beautiful and useful soundset this is.
Very well done, and as others have said already, way more than just a percussion set - although it does that very well also.
Many thanks Simon.

Brando wrote:I don't know what took me so long. i finally picked up Framedrum. I had some initial difficulties getting the download link to work, but Simon very quickly set up an alternative link and log in that worked great. Very helpful and responsive.
I am in awe what a beautiful and useful soundset this is.
Very well done, and as others have said already, way more than just a percussion set - although it does that very well also.
Many thanks Simon.
Thank's for the feedback :)

Return to “patchpool”