What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Aspect + Raspberry Pi

Official support for: loomer.co.uk

Moderator: colin@loomer

hugom
KVRer

17 posts since 31 Mar, 2010

Postby hugom; Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:29 am Aspect + Raspberry Pi

I recently invested in a Raspberry Pi and came up with the bright idea that I should try to run Aspect on it.

Is there any way of running just the Aspect backend via bash with no GUI? I figured I could try mapping all the MIDI parameters and programs to a controller/keyboard and control Aspect that way. Think it could work?
Nielzie
KVRAF

4776 posts since 28 May, 2005, from Netherlands

Postby Nielzie; Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:38 am

Haha, yes that would be very interesting indeed if it would work. :D Do you think the cpu could handle it? And which audio interface will you use?
Gamma-UT
KVRAF

2516 posts since 8 Jun, 2009, from UK

Postby Gamma-UT; Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:44 am

The Pi has an audio output. The Foundation has a plan to put together a synth project that I guess will use one of the existing open-source soft synths.

But, is there an ARM port of Aspect?
No longer blank as Frank
Soundcloud
colin@loomer
KVRian

757 posts since 25 Aug, 2003, from Bournemouth, UK

Postby colin@loomer; Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:15 am

Gamma-UT wrote:But, is there an ARM port of Aspect?
Not yet, but it's possible. Last I checked, the audio engine compiled and worked perfectly (and efficiently, even on a non-overclocked Pi.) The UI is another matter, but it's not anything that seemed insurmountable. Simply put, I haven't been able to find the time to do an official ARM port, but it's definitely something the geek in me is interested in getting back into as and when my schedule allows.
Shift from Loomer: Diatonic Granular Pitch Shifting Delay (AU, RTAS, & VST for Mac OS X, Windows, & Linux)
Gamma-UT
KVRAF

2516 posts since 8 Jun, 2009, from UK

Postby Gamma-UT; Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:20 am

colin@loomer wrote:
Not yet, but it's possible. Last I checked, the audio engine compiled and worked perfectly (and efficiently, even on a non-overclocked Pi.) The UI is another matter, but it's not anything that seemed insurmountable. Simply put, I haven't been able to find the time to do an official ARM port, but it's definitely something the geek in me is interested in getting back into as and when my schedule allows.

This might not be what you want to do but it might be worth getting in touch with someone like Robert Mullins at the Foundation/Cambridge Uni (as I think the synth was something he was keen to do) and maybe get them to do some legwork for an 'Aspect Educational' or something. They were quite keen on the idea of a Pi synth because it has some teaching value and as a project for computer clubs.
No longer blank as Frank
Soundcloud
hugom
KVRer

Postby hugom; Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:42 am

colin@loomer wrote:

Very glad to hear that. It's obviously just a geek fantasy at the moment, but honestly I would prefer using a dedicated Aspect Raspberry Pi live than a laptop (I don't like the idea of laptops live, but that's just for my live gigs).
colin@loomer
KVRian

Postby colin@loomer; Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:48 pm

When I get a spare hour or so, I'll have another look at ARM support and see if I can estimate how much work is outstanding for an ARM port. If it's not too much, this could be something I look at releasing sooner, rather than later.
Shift from Loomer: Diatonic Granular Pitch Shifting Delay (AU, RTAS, & VST for Mac OS X, Windows, & Linux)
hugom
KVRer

Postby hugom; Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:21 am

colin@loomer wrote:When I get a spare hour or so, I'll have another look at ARM support and see if I can estimate how much work is outstanding for an ARM port. If it's not too much, this could be something I look at releasing sooner, rather than later.

Awesome! I realize that whenever I post here it's always geek-related and not necessarily something that makes sense business-wise (although support for the Pi would probably get some recognition). Is the frontend and backend separated into two programs? I would prefer to be able to run Aspect on the Pi without a display.

Don't work yourself to death, Colin!
colin@loomer
KVRian

Postby colin@loomer; Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:01 pm

hugom wrote:Is the frontend and backend separated into two programs? I would prefer to be able to run Aspect on the Pi without a display.
The audio generation suite is isolated in its own library, safely away from all the UI code. Instead of being hosted by the UI, it can (and often is, when testing) hosted by a command-line terminal app. So, yes, your request for a UI-free Aspect on the Pi is very do-able indeed!

Don't work yourself to death, Colin!
No fear, I'm well refreshed and energised, post-Christmas: the lack of enough hours in a day is a much bigger hinderance than my stamina!
flyweight303
KVRer

9 posts since 19 Aug, 2013

Postby flyweight303; Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:11 am

are there any updates on this???
colin@loomer
KVRian

Postby colin@loomer; Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:42 am

I'm afraid there is nothing new to report at this moment. It's not been forgotten about, but merely been sliding down the development roadmap in favour of some higher priority items.

I'll be pushing out some new products updates very shortly, so I'll evaluate, whilst polishing the Aspect update for release, how close I am to a potential public ARM build.

Moderator: colin@loomer

Return to Loomer