What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Ableton Survey - Would you recommend Ableton Live?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRAF

18474 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:05 am

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Yes it's official, I also got the link via email from Ableton. It did strike me as a very short survey, though.

Peace,
Andy.

Didn't get one yet. If I had one that might have not made me think about this, but strange that it wasn't front and center on the site :shrug:
KVRian

816 posts since 15 Aug, 2003, from seattle

Postby machinesworking; Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:10 pm

Curious to know what others think? I've always used Live in conjunction with a more traditional DAW, either Logic or Digital Performer. I've used and owned Live since version 3, and although I write and perform in Live, I don't think I'd ever want to do without a larger more complex DAW like DP for mixing, SysEx, CC editing, and linear arrangement compositions.
KVRist

387 posts since 30 Mar, 2006, from North Florida

Postby strangedogs; Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:32 pm

"Would you recommend Ableton Live?"

No. To me it's just bizarre looking and I just can't get my head around it.
Now the proud owner of an avid 11 Rack, Running Pro Tools 10.3.3 - for me it's heaven!
KVRAF

3846 posts since 28 Apr, 2006

Postby memyselfandus; Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:23 pm

If no one mentions the PDC issue in the survey.. I doubt they will take it any more seriously than they have in the past.

in fact that is probably why they have this survey. to see how many people actually don't know what it is or care..

just speculation of course
KVRist

486 posts since 9 Jul, 2008

Postby SadPuppyBlues; Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:52 pm

KVRist

357 posts since 5 Nov, 2012

Postby OzWozEre; Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:11 pm

Would you recommend Live as a DAW?

NO

Would you recommend Live as a multitrack CD player?

YES
KVRist

353 posts since 25 Aug, 2005, from North California

Postby ksandvik; Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:08 pm

I did have big hopes about Live, since 2.1 days. Not anymore.
KVRAF

3031 posts since 3 Jul, 2012

Postby V0RT3X; Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:44 am

I gave it a 8

said they got to fix PDC so people quit bashing it.

I forgot to mention envelope snapping though :dog:
KVRAF

Postby memyselfandus; Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:26 am

agreed
KVRAF

38485 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:09 pm

People are plenty pissed about it, that's all I can say :lol:
Pick Me Pick me!

7540 posts since 11 Mar, 2002, from in a state of confusion

Postby VitaminD; Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:07 pm

Intro only allows 4 VST instruments loaded at a time (I can use that many to layer a single pad - basslines can use up to 3). Way too low.

Cost to upgrade is insane (I suspect it will cost the same to upgrade Live as it would be to buy Bitwig Studio retail)

PDC

Dual monitor support

Love the original idea of Live, but think the finance department is running things at Ableton these days.

The different various upgrade pricing schemes mean they are trying to nickle and dime as best as possible. If you have v8 Gangnam Style edition, you pay 224 dollars. If you have v7 Bundled turd edition, you pay 312 dollars. Unless the moon is full and it is the 3rd Thursday of the month.. then you pay 256 dollars.

At this point, they have a major competitor (or rather, will in 5 or 6 months when it's released :hihi:) in Bitwig Studio. I look forward to seeing what that does to Live's retail price. Well, that is if Bitwig price their software lower. In any case, with development, they can't keep playing the same game anymore. But, if they choose to, I'm sure Bitwig will thank them.
"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best." - Henry Van Dyke
KVRAF

38485 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:45 pm

VitaminD wrote:(I suspect it will cost the same to upgrade Live as it would be to buy Bitwig Studio retail)

I'd just buy bitwig............wait...........you can't.............DOH!
KVRAF

Postby memyselfandus; Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:20 am

Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)