What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Question about non-power chords?

Official support for: impactsoundworks.com

Moderators: zircon, BGC

xphen0m
KVRist
 
221 posts since 27 Jan, 2008

Postby xphen0m; Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:52 pm Question about non-power chords?

Would it be "practical" (for lack of a better term) to play other chords besides power chords using the single notes? I'm not a guitar player at all (although I do plan to learn the electric this year) and I've tried to play other chords in a test file in REAPER, but I noticed when I compare them to actual chord recordings, they don't sound as "tight" coming from Shreddage, but it could be my imagination being nitpicky. Hopefully I was clear. I know V-Metal has other chords besides powerchords and far as I know, Shreddage 2 only has pre-recorded power chords and singles.

So is there a way to tighten up the sound of the other chords I want to play?

An example of stuff I'd like to play in Shreddage is here (Great song, by the way)

https://soundcloud.com/hope-the-band/rough-breaking-day
soundoutsource
KVRist
 
82 posts since 17 Sep, 2011

Postby soundoutsource; Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:25 pm

Yes, its practical. Take a look at this and see if it sounds ok to you.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17038921/s2_custom_chords.mp3
metalheart
KVRist
 
236 posts since 2 Jun, 2012

Postby metalheart; Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:57 am

xphen0m wrote:Would it be "practical" (for lack of a better term) to play other chords besides power chords using the single notes? I'm not a guitar player at all (although I do plan to learn the electric this year) and I've tried to play other chords in a test file in REAPER, but I noticed when I compare them to actual chord recordings, they don't sound as "tight" coming from Shreddage, but it could be my imagination being nitpicky. Hopefully I was clear. I know V-Metal has other chords besides powerchords and far as I know, Shreddage 2 only has pre-recorded power chords and singles.

So is there a way to tighten up the sound of the other chords I want to play?

An example of stuff I'd like to play in Shreddage is here (Great song, by the way)

https://soundcloud.com/hope-the-band/rough-breaking-day



:shock: :shock: :shock:

xphenom...great,great,great song!!!
xphen0m
KVRist
 
221 posts since 27 Jan, 2008

Postby xphen0m; Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:29 am

metalheart wrote:
xphen0m wrote:Would it be "practical" (for lack of a better term) to play other chords besides power chords using the single notes? I'm not a guitar player at all (although I do plan to learn the electric this year) and I've tried to play other chords in a test file in REAPER, but I noticed when I compare them to actual chord recordings, they don't sound as "tight" coming from Shreddage, but it could be my imagination being nitpicky. Hopefully I was clear. I know V-Metal has other chords besides powerchords and far as I know, Shreddage 2 only has pre-recorded power chords and singles.

So is there a way to tighten up the sound of the other chords I want to play?

An example of stuff I'd like to play in Shreddage is here (Great song, by the way)

https://soundcloud.com/hope-the-band/rough-breaking-day



:shock: :shock: :shock:

xphenom...great,great,great song!!!


LOL. Thanks, but it's not mine. I was posting an example of what I wanted to achieve using S2. But yes it's quite a great song.

However, the clip in the first reply sounds good. I'm also fairly new to playing the keyboard (my MIDI controller), so please bear with me if it seems like I'm asking dumb/bad/obvious questions. lol

Soundoutsource, that clip sounds good. Which chords did you use for that? As I said I'm still somewhat new to playing my keyboard (as I used to just pencil in the notes with my mouse), but I am learning. I'm gettin' there. LOL.

The first chord sounds like a fifth or a powerchord. I couldn't tell from that point on due to my n00bness.
J-Rokujuushi
KVRist
 
136 posts since 15 Nov, 2011

Postby J-Rokujuushi; Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:54 am

I never had any problems with using the single notes to make chords in Shreddage X. I'd even use them to make power chords since I liked the sound better than the sampled power chords.

The biggest issue I've had with doing chords in Shreddage 2 is that the string selector script doesn't agree with me and I haven't been able to find a reliable way to get it under control.
zircon
KVRAF
 
3831 posts since 15 Mar, 2004, from Owings Mills, MD

Postby zircon; Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:37 am

What sort of problem are you having with it? That's something we can take a look at in our upcoming maintenance update. I agree that it does misbehave sometimes, but the more specifics you can give, the better :)
Zebra 2 Tetralogy - 188 Dance/Electronic Presets!

Impact Soundworks - Electric + acoustic guitar, big metals, world instruments and more!
warfighter67
KVRist
 
240 posts since 16 Oct, 2011

Postby warfighter67; Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:52 am

Zircon: Sometimes when playing chords that span a wide range, or just have more than 2 or 3 notes, sometimes the higher notes don't strum. I took it as a feature... you know, messing up and not hitting all strings? :hihi:
Metal for life.

www.soundclick.com/EventHorizonSoundtracks

Computer build:
ASRock Z77 Extreme6, Intel i5 3570k, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz RAM, MSI HD Radeon 7950 3GB GDDR5 GPU, 550w PSU.
Running 1920x1080p resolution on a 23 in. Monitor.
J-Rokujuushi
KVRist
 
136 posts since 15 Nov, 2011

Postby J-Rokujuushi; Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:23 pm

Zircon: I actually made a post about the string selection when playing chords over in the Shreddage 2 Suggestions thread, but I'll reiterate it here.


I started with this sequence of an E chord, which would ideally be played like 001220x.
http://i.imgur.com/YlRk4.png

The first E chord came out like this.
http://i.imgur.com/Js0Bo.png

The one right after it came out like this.
http://i.imgur.com/ik8hJ.png

The third and fourth were similar to the first, but then it looped back to the first and gave me this bit of madness.
http://i.imgur.com/eNKKg.png


My ideal solution would be to implement a MIDI guitar mode, where you can select which string to play each note on by assigning it to a different MIDI channel.

Another solution I've seen in other guitar libraries is to have a built in fretting hand position so it will keep the frets it uses within a range of 4 or 5 frets like what a human player would be able to reach. This causes problems when you're trying to play chords higher up the neck that include open strings, though, which is why I prefer the MIDI guitar method.
xphen0m
KVRist
 
221 posts since 27 Jan, 2008

Postby xphen0m; Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:03 pm

soundoutsource wrote:Yes, its practical. Take a look at this and see if it sounds ok to you.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17038921/s2_custom_chords.mp3


I assume this was done with S2; I have been unsuccessful in trying to achieve this result, as heard in this audio file. Each time, it sounds "sloppy" when I try to make chords like those in that file. How did you get it to sound so tight? Did you use different instances of Shreddage 2, for different string positions? What are the notes in those chords?
soundoutsource
KVRist
 
82 posts since 17 Sep, 2011

Postby soundoutsource; Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:37 pm

xphen0m wrote:
metalheart wrote:
xphen0m wrote:Would it be "practical" (for lack of a better term) to play other chords besides power chords using the single notes? I'm not a guitar player at all (although I do plan to learn the electric this year) and I've tried to play other chords in a test file in REAPER, but I noticed when I compare them to actual chord recordings, they don't sound as "tight" coming from Shreddage, but it could be my imagination being nitpicky. Hopefully I was clear. I know V-Metal has other chords besides powerchords and far as I know, Shreddage 2 only has pre-recorded power chords and singles.

So is there a way to tighten up the sound of the other chords I want to play?

An example of stuff I'd like to play in Shreddage is here (Great song, by the way)

https://soundcloud.com/hope-the-band/rough-breaking-day



:shock: :shock: :shock:

xphenom...great,great,great song!!!


LOL. Thanks, but it's not mine. I was posting an example of what I wanted to achieve using S2. But yes it's quite a great song.

However, the clip in the first reply sounds good. I'm also fairly new to playing the keyboard (my MIDI controller), so please bear with me if it seems like I'm asking dumb/bad/obvious questions. lol

Soundoutsource, that clip sounds good. Which chords did you use for that? As I said I'm still somewhat new to playing my keyboard (as I used to just pencil in the notes with my mouse), but I am learning. I'm gettin' there. LOL.

The first chord sounds like a fifth or a powerchord. I couldn't tell from that point on due to my n00bness.



Image

I am n00b when it comes to chord names and theory. I go by ear. I don't think it is accurate transcription of the riff though.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17038921/s2chords.MID

Also, I use mouse to draw notes, I don't use a midi controller. I did mess with Attack/Sustain/Decay settings of shreddage2, only one instance was used.

Sustain Release 26%, Mute Decay 48%, Mute Release 17%
xphen0m
KVRist
 
221 posts since 27 Jan, 2008

Postby xphen0m; Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:08 am

soundoutsource wrote:
xphen0m wrote:
metalheart wrote:
xphen0m wrote:Would it be "practical" (for lack of a better term) to play other chords besides power chords using the single notes? I'm not a guitar player at all (although I do plan to learn the electric this year) and I've tried to play other chords in a test file in REAPER, but I noticed when I compare them to actual chord recordings, they don't sound as "tight" coming from Shreddage, but it could be my imagination being nitpicky. Hopefully I was clear. I know V-Metal has other chords besides powerchords and far as I know, Shreddage 2 only has pre-recorded power chords and singles.

So is there a way to tighten up the sound of the other chords I want to play?

An example of stuff I'd like to play in Shreddage is here (Great song, by the way)

https://soundcloud.com/hope-the-band/rough-breaking-day



:shock: :shock: :shock:

xphenom...great,great,great song!!!


LOL. Thanks, but it's not mine. I was posting an example of what I wanted to achieve using S2. But yes it's quite a great song.

However, the clip in the first reply sounds good. I'm also fairly new to playing the keyboard (my MIDI controller), so please bear with me if it seems like I'm asking dumb/bad/obvious questions. lol

Soundoutsource, that clip sounds good. Which chords did you use for that? As I said I'm still somewhat new to playing my keyboard (as I used to just pencil in the notes with my mouse), but I am learning. I'm gettin' there. LOL.

The first chord sounds like a fifth or a powerchord. I couldn't tell from that point on due to my n00bness.



Image

I am n00b when it comes to chord names and theory. I go by ear. I don't think it is accurate transcription of the riff though.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17038921/s2chords.MID

Also, I use mouse to draw notes, I don't use a midi controller. I did mess with Attack/Sustain/Decay settings of shreddage2, only one instance was used.

Sustain Release 26%, Mute Decay 48%, Mute Release 17%


Thank you! This explained so much to me. What I was doing was not only having the sustains in chords, but the mutes too, which sounded pretty....undesirable. Worked way better. :)
soundoutsource
KVRist
 
82 posts since 17 Sep, 2011

Postby soundoutsource; Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:49 am

Glad that it worked out for you.
xphen0m
KVRist
 
221 posts since 27 Jan, 2008

Postby xphen0m; Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Quick question: Is it possible to staccato or legato powerchords? I'm looking at the manual. While it doesn't say anything about legato powerchords (that I saw), it does say we can staccato powerchords. How? I've tried to staccato powerchords as I would a single note, and it just sustains.

Moderators: zircon, BGC

Return to Impact Soundworks