What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Tracktion 4

Discussion about: tracktion.com

Moderators: valley, jules, TSC, ModuLR

Bosqoue!
KVRist
 
184 posts since 22 Sep, 2004

Postby Bosqoue!; Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:42 am

Gabriel_S wrote:Well I happen to be one of those people that have TRIED jumping ships on several occasions but I continually end up coming back to T. I've just learned how to use certain configurations and some tricks and optimized the entire sequencer to it's fullest. Glad to say I can now use up to 40 plus tracks with no need to adjust the sample rate past 512. Past 40 or so tracks I just max it out. Yeah still a ton of bugs to deal with but it's still my favorite host by far (ok so I'm hooked on the darn thing ...lol). Really need to look under the hood and understand routing and such. REALLY helps stabilize the system.

Gabriel


Hey, thats sounds interesting! Could you give out some tips and tricks?
Bosqoue!
trunk79
KVRer
 
24 posts since 30 Jun, 2007, from bluemountains

Postby trunk79; Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:21 pm

Tracktion4? i might try it if it ever comes out, im still on T2 and i love it dearly and will continue using it for awhile longer but it is lagging in the features i see other daws getting updated with all the time,i have tried T3 and everything about it was worse, i tried sonar, cubase again hoping they might be getting nicer to use but theyre still slow and clunky, then i tried reaper the other day, and within a couple of hours i was in love, its what tracktion3 shouldve been as far as im concerned and unless they sell out to a large company like mackie which i think has been tracktions downfall im jumping ship and never looking back.
sorry Tracktion i will always love you :)
tomg
KVRAF
 
5722 posts since 5 Dec, 2003, from Mission Control

Postby tomg; Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:23 am

2c - When they announced T3 and it did not include fixing the bugs from T2 but rather piled on a bunch of stuff, mostly just introducing more bugs, I correctly assumed they had given up on making T a great sequencer.

You would not believe... Well maybe you would.. This forum wanted to hang my ass from the yardarm when I said as much back then. I didn't even bother to say I told you so when T3 tanked but I should have.

I think I've used T2 once since T3 was announced and it's a damn shame. It could have been so good. You never really know but I'd be absolutely stunned if I ever used T again.

If it works for you, I'm very happy for you. Because of a few little bugs and a couple of things that just didn't work for me, it never made my favorite list. I would have paid for a bug fix though. They had a chance to lock me in but when they didn't fix it and wanted me to pay for an update I did not want, it was time for me to move on.

So.... That's what I did. I don't know why I've bothered to post this. I know good and well that you guys don't care what I think about T and I don't blame you. My attitude is shit. :(
funkychickendance
KVRAF
 
2376 posts since 19 Aug, 2005, from Where Sheep May Safely Graze & They're Using A Chicken 2 Measure It

Postby funkychickendance; Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:11 am

trunk79 wrote:.... then i tried reaper the other day, and within a couple of hours i was in love, its what tracktion3 shouldve been as far as im concerned ....


What you just said. :hihi: :tu: There are features i like about T3, but a lot more bugs and annoyances that i don't. :roll: I'd ignored Reaper because of the endless fanboi babble in the early days. :oops: Now, it's a mature product, that does what I need for 'live'. For workflow reasons: Pure loopology, i do with ACID 7. Twiddletweaking and jamming for idea discovery, FL8.

So, T4 would hafta gotta be real good to catch my interest....

//f'n_x
Every Potemkin village needs its idiot savant
MelodyMan
KVRian
 
974 posts since 10 May, 2003

Postby MelodyMan; Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:18 am

funkychickendance wrote:
trunk79 wrote:.... then i tried reaper the other day, and within a couple of hours i was in love, its what tracktion3 shouldve been as far as im concerned ....


What you just said. :hihi: :tu: There are features i like about T3, but a lot more bugs and annoyances that i don't. :roll: I'd ignored Reaper because of the endless fanboi babble in the early days. :oops: Now, it's a mature product, that does what I need for 'live'. For workflow reasons: Pure loopology, i do with ACID 7. Twiddletweaking and jamming for idea discovery, FL8.

So, T4 would hafta gotta be real good to catch my interest....

//f'n_x


But there's no object-based approach in Reaper. That is the thing that puts me off Reaper and towards Samplitude. In Tracktion this approach is just superbly flexible, even Samplitude can't touch it.
Buy Darling Sister's new album "Rise and fall" now! Just send a pm or an email. Visit our myspace page on www.myspace.com/darlingsister for songsamples.
funkychickendance
KVRAF
 
2376 posts since 19 Aug, 2005, from Where Sheep May Safely Graze & They're Using A Chicken 2 Measure It

Postby funkychickendance; Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:05 pm

MelodyMan wrote:
funkychickendance wrote:
trunk79 wrote:.... then i tried reaper the other day, and within a couple of hours i was in love, its what tracktion3 shouldve been as far as im concerned ....


What you just said. :hihi: :tu: There are features i like about T3, but a lot more bugs and annoyances that i don't. :roll: I'd ignored Reaper because of the endless fanboi babble in the early days. :oops: Now, it's a mature product, that does what I need for 'live'. For workflow reasons: Pure loopology, i do with ACID 7. Twiddletweaking and jamming for idea discovery, FL8.

So, T4 would hafta gotta be real good to catch my interest....

//f'n_x


But there's no object-based approach in Reaper. That is the thing that puts me off Reaper and towards Samplitude. In Tracktion this approach is just superbly flexible, even Samplitude can't touch it.


Subject-Verb-Object: T3 blows chunks. :lol:

For me, it's too buggy for reliable use. YMMV.

//F'n_x
Every Potemkin village needs its idiot savant
MelodyMan
KVRian
 
974 posts since 10 May, 2003

Postby MelodyMan; Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:32 pm

funkychickendance wrote:
MelodyMan wrote:
funkychickendance wrote:
trunk79 wrote:.... then i tried reaper the other day, and within a couple of hours i was in love, its what tracktion3 shouldve been as far as im concerned ....


What you just said. :hihi: :tu: There are features i like about T3, but a lot more bugs and annoyances that i don't. :roll: I'd ignored Reaper because of the endless fanboi babble in the early days. :oops: Now, it's a mature product, that does what I need for 'live'. For workflow reasons: Pure loopology, i do with ACID 7. Twiddletweaking and jamming for idea discovery, FL8.

So, T4 would hafta gotta be real good to catch my interest....

//f'n_x


But there's no object-based approach in Reaper. That is the thing that puts me off Reaper and towards Samplitude. In Tracktion this approach is just superbly flexible, even Samplitude can't touch it.


Subject-Verb-Object: T3 blows chunks. :lol:

For me, it's too buggy for reliable use. YMMV.

//F'n_x


The operative words here are "for you". Solid for me in Windows.
Buy Darling Sister's new album "Rise and fall" now! Just send a pm or an email. Visit our myspace page on www.myspace.com/darlingsister for songsamples.
AC222
KVRist
 
443 posts since 17 Jun, 2012

Postby AC222; Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:42 pm

Guys,

The new best DAW on the block is: T4!

http://www.tracktion.com/blog/tracktion ... -a-classic

Best workflow of any DAW ever!
funkychickendance
KVRAF
 
2376 posts since 19 Aug, 2005, from Where Sheep May Safely Graze & They're Using A Chicken 2 Measure It

Postby funkychickendance; Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:13 pm

AC222 wrote:Guys,

The new best DAW on the block is: T4!

http://www.tracktion.com/blog/tracktion ... -a-classic

Best workflow of any DAW ever!


A long silence there ... okay, so $60 is peanuts. But "show don't tell" us why it's the 'best'.
Every Potemkin village needs its idiot savant
AC222
KVRist
 
443 posts since 17 Jun, 2012

Postby AC222; Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:38 pm

Haha. The only way I can show is to record my sessions to video, which I do not have the capability of.

I just really like the workflow. The drag and drop is so useful and quicker for adding new plugins than any other system I have used. You can copy tracks with all settings easily. Only takes a second to disable all plugins on a track at once. All editing is done from one window and its a snappy. I don't think there is a more efficient workflow. No Presonus S1 drag and drop is not a substitute and even a fully-customized Reaper I don't think compares to how easy and intuitive Tracktion is.

If you are talking about complicated bus routing or sends things get a little more sticky in Tracktion. So it's not the best there. I also would like an optional separate mix window for adjusting levels more quickly as opposed to the vertical layout. But all else, to me the workflow is the best BY FAR.
Last edited by AC222 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
bungle
KVRist
 
292 posts since 12 Mar, 2004

Postby bungle; Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:10 pm

AC222 wrote:a fully-customized Reaper I don't think compares to how easy and intuitive Reaper is.


Haha :)
I have to say though, I moved to Reaper when it was first being developed and unless T has some massive and i mean massive overhauls i wont be going back to it, I will keep buying the upgrades if Jules stays in charge, but it is light years behind most other hosts now in terms of usability just because of the lack of features.
The speed you can edit in other DAWs now alone are enough to put T at the bottom of the ladder in terms of usability (Agreed the UI layout is amazing, but lack of features is a killer)
If your plugin is a C++ creation, please don't say so.
If it is, pop round Marcos, he has just bought you a Mac to port it.
User avatar
audiobot202
KVRian
 
1130 posts since 24 Dec, 2004, from Adelaide, South Australia

Postby audiobot202; Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:40 pm

bungle wrote:
AC222 wrote:a fully-customized Reaper I don't think compares to how easy and intuitive Reaper is.


Haha :)
I have to say though, I moved to Reaper when it was first being developed and unless T has some massive and i mean massive overhauls i wont be going back to it, I will keep buying the upgrades if Jules stays in charge, but it is light years behind most other hosts now in terms of usability just because of the lack of features.
The speed you can edit in other DAWs now alone are enough to put T at the bottom of the ladder in terms of usability (Agreed the UI layout is amazing, but lack of features is a killer)


I agree that it needs an overhaul, as does Jules obviously. I think it's wise to remember the whole Tracktion paradigm though: easy and intuitive recording in a single screen. Modeless software, in other words.

So, right now, what features does it not have that mean you can't record music?

It hosts plugins, it records audio and midi and it exports sound. Perhaps it doesn't have quite the frills of other hosts at the moment, but what part of that formula means that you cannot currently record? How is it not usable?

It's not as if Jules bought it back to release T4 and then dump it again, now is it? One would assume that, after investing time and money and passion into the re acquisition of his baby, that he fully intends to update it with more modern features.

I, for one, look forward to what happens next. Tracktion was the first piece of software that got me really excited to get down ideas.

This first release version of T4 is the product of two months of work cleaning and updating the codebase. It's intended as a base product for further development. They've been wise to release this now to generate interest. I like their attitude. I suspect that Jules was always a bit conflicted about selling it in the first place. We may never know. The very fact that he was motivated to organise to buy it back demonstrates his commitment to it as a platform. This means future support and updates.
Last edited by audiobot202 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tracktion is BAAAAAACK !!!
Spitfire31
KVRAF
 
1892 posts since 18 May, 2003, from Sweden

Postby Spitfire31; Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:49 pm

As soon as they get that Request form going at http://www.tracktion.com/support/feature-request my #1 wish is for looping features à la Digital Performer:

Unlimited number of discrete loop regions per track (MIDI and audio), running individually from 2 to infinite number of times.

I don't know of any other DAW than DP being able to do this, at least not in the Mac world.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!
junewolf
KVRer
 
4 posts since 5 Nov, 2008, from USA

Postby junewolf; Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:25 am

Edited. Found a newer thread that addressed my comment better.
bungle
KVRist
 
292 posts since 12 Mar, 2004

Postby bungle; Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:03 am

Audiobot202 stop being defensive, T has a great UI but Jules even admits it is far far behind in terms of modern features (Not his fault obviously)
Don't try and make excuses, don't get defensive, just let the man do his thing and see where it goes ;)
If your plugin is a C++ creation, please don't say so.
If it is, pop round Marcos, he has just bought you a Mac to port it.
PreviousNext

Moderators: valley, jules, TSC, ModuLR

Return to Tracktion