What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Tracktion 4

Discussion about: tracktion.com

Moderators: valley, jules, TSC, ModuLR

User avatar
herodotus
KVRAF
 
4929 posts since 8 Dec, 2004, from The Twin Cities

Postby herodotus; Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:18 am

bungle wrote:Audiobot202 stop being defensive, T has a great UI but Jules even admits it is far far behind in terms of modern features (Not his fault obviously)
Don't try and make excuses, don't get defensive, just let the man do his thing and see where it goes ;)


The thing is, to an old timer like me, the 'modern features' you mention translate to 'trendy gimmicks'.

I mean, the recordings of the golden ages of album rock and modern jazz were made with recording gear that had far fewer 'modern features' than even T1.

In short, for some of us, once you have decent recording, non-destructive audio editing, and a bug free working environment, the only thing that really matters IS the UI. Everything else is just window dressing.
User avatar
operandx
KVRist
 
230 posts since 30 Apr, 2003, from West Dorset, UK

Postby operandx; Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:33 am

herodotus wrote:
bungle wrote:Audiobot202 stop being defensive, T has a great UI but Jules even admits it is far far behind in terms of modern features (Not his fault obviously)
Don't try and make excuses, don't get defensive, just let the man do his thing and see where it goes ;)


The thing is, to an old timer like me, the 'modern features' you mention translate to 'trendy gimmicks'.

I mean, the recordings of the golden ages of album rock and modern jazz were made with recording gear that had far fewer 'modern features' than even T1.

In short, for some of us, once you have decent recording, non-destructive audio editing, and a bug free working environment, the only thing that really matters IS the UI. Everything else is just window dressing.


The important thing is that Tracktion stays simple and elegant enough for the long-in-the-tooth old timers like thee and me; but also sports the modern features desired by the whippersnapping beat manglers and slicers 'n' dicers :)
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'
User avatar
herodotus
KVRAF
 
4929 posts since 8 Dec, 2004, from The Twin Cities

Postby herodotus; Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:38 am

operandx wrote:
herodotus wrote:
bungle wrote:Audiobot202 stop being defensive, T has a great UI but Jules even admits it is far far behind in terms of modern features (Not his fault obviously)
Don't try and make excuses, don't get defensive, just let the man do his thing and see where it goes ;)


The thing is, to an old timer like me, the 'modern features' you mention translate to 'trendy gimmicks'.

I mean, the recordings of the golden ages of album rock and modern jazz were made with recording gear that had far fewer 'modern features' than even T1.

In short, for some of us, once you have decent recording, non-destructive audio editing, and a bug free working environment, the only thing that really matters IS the UI. Everything else is just window dressing.


The important thing is that Tracktion stays simple and elegant enough for the long-in-the-tooth old timers like thee and me; but also sports the modern features desired by the whippersnapping beat manglers and slicers 'n' dicers :)


Important to them maybe.



:wink:
User avatar
operandx
KVRist
 
230 posts since 30 Apr, 2003, from West Dorset, UK

Postby operandx; Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:40 am

herodotus wrote:
operandx wrote:
herodotus wrote:
bungle wrote:Audiobot202 stop being defensive, T has a great UI but Jules even admits it is far far behind in terms of modern features (Not his fault obviously)
Don't try and make excuses, don't get defensive, just let the man do his thing and see where it goes ;)


The thing is, to an old timer like me, the 'modern features' you mention translate to 'trendy gimmicks'.

I mean, the recordings of the golden ages of album rock and modern jazz were made with recording gear that had far fewer 'modern features' than even T1.

In short, for some of us, once you have decent recording, non-destructive audio editing, and a bug free working environment, the only thing that really matters IS the UI. Everything else is just window dressing.


The important thing is that Tracktion stays simple and elegant enough for the long-in-the-tooth old timers like thee and me; but also sports the modern features desired by the whippersnapping beat manglers and slicers 'n' dicers :)


Important to them maybe.



:wink:



Well, important to the ongoing success of Tracktion I'd say :)
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'
User avatar
herodotus
KVRAF
 
4929 posts since 8 Dec, 2004, from The Twin Cities

Postby herodotus; Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:04 am

operandx wrote:Well, important to the ongoing success of Tracktion I'd say :)


Perhaps. I often wonder, though, if the I-need-every-cool-new-gewgaw-that-gets-written-up-in-CM-NOW crowd is anywhere near as prevalent in the world market as their prevalence here would seem to indicate.

But in any case, I wish Jules and the Tracktion team the best of luck for the future.
AC222
KVRist
 
468 posts since 17 Jun, 2012

Postby AC222; Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:53 am

audiobot202 wrote:
bungle wrote:
AC222 wrote:a fully-customized Reaper I don't think compares to how easy and intuitive Reaper is.


Haha :)
I have to say though, I moved to Reaper when it was first being developed and unless T has some massive and i mean massive overhauls i wont be going back to it, I will keep buying the upgrades if Jules stays in charge, but it is light years behind most other hosts now in terms of usability just because of the lack of features.
The speed you can edit in other DAWs now alone are enough to put T at the bottom of the ladder in terms of usability (Agreed the UI layout is amazing, but lack of features is a killer)


I agree that it needs an overhaul, as does Jules obviously. I think it's wise to remember the whole Tracktion paradigm though: easy and intuitive recording in a single screen. Modeless software, in other words.

So, right now, what features does it not have that mean you can't record music?

It hosts plugins, it records audio and midi and it exports sound. Perhaps it doesn't have quite the frills of other hosts at the moment, but what part of that formula means that you cannot currently record? How is it not usable?

It's not as if Jules bought it back to release T4 and then dump it again, now is it? One would assume that, after investing time and money and passion into the re acquisition of his baby, that he fully intends to update it with more modern features.

I, for one, look forward to what happens next. Tracktion was the first piece of software that got me really excited to get down ideas.

This first release version of T4 is the product of two months of work cleaning and updating the codebase. It's intended as a base product for further development. They've been wise to release this now to generate interest. I like their attitude. I suspect that Jules was always a bit conflicted about selling it in the first place. We may never know. The very fact that he was motivated to organise to buy it back demonstrates his commitment to it as a platform.

This means future support and updates.


Whoops. I meant to say how easy and intuitive Tracktion is! I am excited and its really the layout that I love the most yes. I think both Bungle and Audiobot really hit the nail on the head about what is good and what needs to be updated/modified/modernized. Obviously my post was a bit of a hype post but I'm just so happy it's brought back from the dead.

I wish the Midi was smoother and had better labeling. I can't figure how what is a snare and what is a drum in when I import drum samples. Other Daws autodetect everything perfectly. Also, I think the routing could be better and clearer. I really think it would go a long way if they updated added an optional horizontal mixing window where you could easily adjust levels, panning positions, and set up your buses and sends. But working with plugins on any other DAW is a pain compared to Tracktion. Everything can be moved, copied, disabled, added so much quicker. I like it much better in that regard than Presonus S1.

Nice add. I really like both Bungle and Audiobots' posts. Realistic assessments and get to the heart of the matter;
Previous

Moderators: valley, jules, TSC, ModuLR

Return to Tracktion