TDR Feedback Compressor II - mac AU/VST beta finally available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TheoM wrote:My i ask is there any chance of a zero latency mode? 4.1 millisecond on logic's master bus will make sample accurate audio editing impossible, as on the master bus logic's playhead will be out by that amount in samples.. quite a few! It's a logic problem apple will never fix, so i learn never to put anything on a master bus with latency.

It could be good to have a NON OS realtime mode with an option for OS rendering.
Hey Theo,

the processing delay is an essential part of the design, I can't remove it without breaking all concepts behind.

However, the processing delay shrinks to 8 samples if you use sample-rates equal or higher than 88.2kHz.

I cant really follow you regarding master bus playhead issues. Doesn't Logic compensate latency as reported from the plug-in? Isn't audio editing best done in an.. ..audio editor?

Does it mean you can't use any look-ahead limiter? Or linear phase filters? IMHO, this is not a good idea, no matter how your work-flow looks like. The ability to "delay" without losses is probably the biggest strength of DSP. Don't ignore this advantage!

Just because specs don't mention latency, doesn't mean it is true. In most cases, it won't. Minimal phase filters for example still delay. And this delay is irregular over the spectrum and often much longer than Linear Phase filters would need. And for non-linear processors, "zero latency" usually equals either "lots of aliasing all over the place" or "insane phase distortion". I prefer a small delay!

In German: "Einen Tot muss man sterben" which means something like "You will have to opt for the lesser evil". :)
Last edited by FabienTDR on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

FabienTDR wrote:Just because specs don't mention latency, doesn't mean it is true. In most cases, it won't. Minimal phase filters for example still delay. And this delay is irregular over the spectrum and often much longer than Linear Phase filter would need. And for non-linear processors, "zero latency" usually equals either "lots of aliasing all over the place" or "insane phase distortion". I prefer a small delay!
I think a lot of "zero latency plugins" are actually using 4 or 8 samples latency, but just not reporting it because it's not a big deal under 99% of cases.

I appreciate that your plugin is highly oversampled at various stages. There are certain developers who have decided to no longer include oversampling in their plugins, because they run their host at 96khz. But my opinion is it's not worth the file size to work at 96khz, and even when working at 96khz, you will still want to oversample 2x or 4x to the 192-384khz range anyways to *really* get rid of all the aliasing. So if I am going to oversample anyways, I might as well work at the lower host sample rate and enjoy the smaller file sizes, and then just use a higher factor of oversampling (I like to use 8x whenever possible).
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Return to “Effects”