ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My band is is trying to record a demo in a few days. We have a 400MHz Mac G4 and a delta1010. I tried to lay down just some guitar tracks tonight, and gave up after about 4 hours.
I could not for the life of me figure out how to record and listen through headphones at the same time. Seems like it should be simple. So I recorded some stuff, and then I couldn't even get it to play back through my monitors. I see the little bars moving up and down, but I can't hear ANYTHING!!!
I tried changing every setting in both the delta1010 control panel and in Tracktion's setting menu. No luck.
Anyone else have any luck using a delta 1010 with Tracktion on a Mac? Maybe I should just go buy a MOTU828mkII. But I don't think Guitar Center sells them. And I NEED to get this demo out next week. Can't wait for shipping. Life blows. Wait...recording blows.

Here's a few more details:

I have 2 SM57's on the amp. Those are going through a Yamaha MG10/2 (for the pre's) into inputs 1 and 2 of the 1010. Then I run a 1/8" to RCA cable from the Mac (not from the delta1010 card, but from the computer speaker port on the back to a stereo (we are using the speakers to monitor on for now). Yes, I realize this is a ghetto setup, but I should at least be able to get sound. We want to record a ghetto demo to give to some local places so we can start making some freaking money.

End-to-end.

When you select an input there is "enable end-to-end" and there is also a global setting at the bottom-right. These need to be selected for the sound that is coming in to also go out.

It sounds from you description that you don't get any sound at all ever, though. Does nothing make any noise? VSTs? The demos? Windows Media Player? Anything?

Check your Mac's Sound preference pane. Is the right audio output set? On my Powerbook, I have to manually set it after using USB speakers for some strange reason in some circumstances. Just a thought.

I think you may need to use a pair of outputs from the delta card for your monitor mix, as I don't think Tracktion can deal with multiple audio interfaces.. I use a PC though, so I might be wrong..

Set the Delta Audio Panel to monitor mix, and raise the levels on the input track... I think... seems to me that was the answer from MAudio.... and of course call Audio Midi or MAudio, that would help!

I have delta 1010 on pc but it should work just the same:

a) check already mentioned end-to-end if you need to hear fx on the tracks while recording

b) delta panel - switch hw out 1&2 to monitor mixer (second page) and set the levels from incoming signal (page one)

You should see incoming signal in both delta panel and Tracktion.

K

OK, so my Mac won't get past the startup screen now. I think I will have to wipe it and put the OS on fresh again.
BUT, I still have a few questions about the 1010. I had the e-e enabled. The manual suggests that I route the ouputs of each channel to my monitors? What the hell? My monitors (speakers) only have one input jack. I thought I could just use the inputs on the breakout box and then route the output through my speakers or headphones live as I recorded.
Any help would be awesome, especially from Mac users. Otherwise, I'll have to dish out a lot of money for a MOTU828mkII. I have heard this unit is great, but I am still recording vocals with a behringer b-1 and monitoring through my stereo speakers. It seems like a waste to spend that kinda money with how ghetto the rest of my setup is.

well i'd seriously recommend ditching the mac internal audio chip for monitoring. i can't think of any reason for you to be doing this other than a lack of connection options.

apart from anything else, the 1010 will give you a superior output quality, with less latency than the output you're trying to use (and probably more resolution/bitdepth options).

you want to have your monitor mix coming out of your 1010's first pair of outputs. Tracktion will surely work better with your 1010 if it's working with it exclusively. make sure that it is set in tracktion to be the default wave output device.

If you want to monitor the inputs directly, probably the best way is to use the MAudio Mixer panel to set up the routings:

In the PatchBay/Router page, set H/W OUT 1/2 to Monitor Mixer, instead of WavOut 1/2. This means that the first mixer page dictates what comes out of that output pair. the default setup for the mixer is all tracks muted and all faders down - you need to turn up the master, the WavOut1/2, and then whichever input tracks you wish to monitor.

If you didn't want to do it this way, you should either mute all tracks except master and wavout1/2, or go back to the other page and route WavOut1/2 to the hardware output. Then you can just use Tracktion's own, input specific, E-to-E options. Simply make sure you have selected 'Enable End to end' on the inputs you wish to hear. I feel a little more secure using the MAudio mixer personally, but do as you prefer.

Overall tho i can't recommend enough ditching the mac output when you have such a capable audio interface. all you need to do is get different adaptors (2 x 1/4" jack to single RCA phono). this way you are guaranteed monitoring/routing options, certainly when using MAudio mixer (which you can check and configure OUTSIDE of tracktion, thus keeping any problems separate).

i hope this helps
Kick, punch, it's all in the mind.

Return to “Tracktion”