audio-dropout while saving

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I'm wondering if this is Tracktion-related or if there's something wrong with my new pc as I also experience problems with Ableton Live (see below what I posted in their forum)- thanks a lot for any hints in which direction whatsoever!

thoshu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,

while crossreading the related posts (audio drop-outs) I discovered that there IS a problem with audio-crackles, but I'm wondering if my new PC has a hardware-error somewhere as i experience crackles even by playing just one loop in Live Delta 2.1.2 and can't reproduce it by will. CPU-usage and Disk-Indicator are no problem, specs are: AMD XP3000, 1 Gig RAM 400 FSB, 7200RPM-HD, ASUS A7N8X-E deluxe, M-audio delta Audiophile, Matrox G450 dualhead, w2k sp4

Crackles occur even while playing just 4 to 5 rhythm-tracks with no mangling FX on (so that there could be a zero-crossing-prob e.g.), but they never occur at the same point of the timeline, Live runs as a standalone with ASIO-latency 5ms in + 5ms out (larger latencies don't change the behaviour although I never tried 400 ms which seems odd to me regarding the spec of the pc) - when rendered there's no crackle anymore.

The guy at the computerstore told me the machine would be ok, w2k would be the issue and with XP this should be solved...

Reaktor 4.1.2 works fine, Tracktion as well (although in complexer projects pressing control+s causes an audio-dropout.

Any ideas? RAM seems to be fine, M-Audio as well, as it occurs with enabled on-board-sound and ASIO4ALL as well.

Thanks a lot! This drives me crazy for weeks!

I don't know if you should be saving while Tracktion's transport is running.

Yes, why should I save while the transport is running, right... I just thought this could be a coincidence to my Ableton-problem, anyway has anyone experienced the same?

thoshu

I also have the A7N8X-E Deluxe board. And a Matrox G550 graphics card.

Until a week ago I had the older A7N8X Deluxe. I have always experienced crackles when there was some graphics intensive stuff going on (FXpansion's BFD for instance), but the situation got worse with the new motherboard.
For instance, when I enable 'Smooth wave-scrolling' in WaveLab 4, CPU load goes from around 4% to over 90%. In Cubase SX 2.2 video playback is a nightmare.

Anyway, imho this all is due to some sort of incompatibilty between the Matrox graphics card and the nForce 2 chipset. I'm just guessing of course, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about this. I mean, the Matrox cards aren't exactly state-of-the-art in terms of performance, but they shouldn't be that weak.
If I had the money I'd buy a dual-head nVidia graphics card on the spot.

Cheers, Pädy

PT wrote:I don't know if you should be saving while Tracktion's transport is running.
Why? Do you think it could corrupt something? I do it constantly :-o. It does cause a play back jitter tho but its no big deal.

Thanks for your replies!

@Pädy: I had the matrox in mind as well, but after I changed my OS from w2k to XP the problem with Ableton Live was solved, no more crackles anymore and the short drop-out while saving in Tracktion is still there, but it depends on the cpu-load of the project how big the crackle is, if audible at all.

So before you change your graphics-card you might consider upgarding your OS, it seems that it made the whole DAW a bit faster for me as well. But maybe I'm just lucky the problem is solved. :)

thoshu

Return to “Tracktion”