VSTi Not Remembering Preset Folder Path

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

robojam wrote:Check the permissions on your VST folder - if it doesn't already have write permissions for all users, grant it.
Tried it man. No dice. Thank you though, it sounded promising.

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

BlackWinny wrote:Windows 8 is a crap as we had never seen anymore since Millenium 14 years ago!
Sorry to hear your woes with Windows 8 BlackWinny. But me personally? I wouldn't go that far to say that it's horrible. I'm very, very happy that at least all my stuff runs without problems under Windows 8. (Knock on wood). I do have a very powerful machine that runs Windows 7 also which I love very much. So I have the best of both worlds. The only annoyance to me is this folder remembrance thing within certain plugins and my DAWs will forget the project folder at times also.

P.S. I do miss the start button of the Windows of old. :hihi:

.-.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

It is up to the plugin/application to store the last used path if dialogs like getopenfilename are used. When creating the dialog, the application can suggest an initial path for windows to use but this can be overridden by windows.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx

See this comment though, near the bottom:
William Sproule - MSFT wrote: Current Working Directory is altered when a file is opened
When the user selects at least one file and clicks the OK button, the process' current working directory is changed to the directory contain the file(s) being opened.
12/13/2008
Ideally you'd put your documents such as presets in your documents folder although I'm not sure how that might have any effect on the issue of dialogs remembering the last used path.

If you have this issue with specific plugins, contact the author of the plugin and report this as an issue. If someone were to report this to me as an issue for Xhip for example, I would most likely be able to quickly add functionality to store the last used path to the current code although I am "between versions" at the moment which would mean it would only be added to the "alpha" versions until the next major release.

Normally I believe an application in the past would have stored the last path in the registry under a key they define for that purpose. Without the registry, I would probably want to go with writing to a file in the application data directory named as the key would be named, such as "filedialog_lastusedpath.txt". That file could be quickly read as needed and written by the latest path as each new dialog instance updates the path.

I might also research whether the file request dialog functionality has changed in recent versions and whether it is possible to have windows manage storage of the last known path automatically by passing an application identifier, for example.

It could be that to have complete control the application would require its own implementation of a file request dialog.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Thank you again aciddose for your clear explanation. I will contact the developers and see if they can help me with this.

.-.

Return to “Instruments”