How do you play chords in a Mono Synth ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You simply use more than one instance...

fluffy_little_something wrote:I think the development towards polysynths was natural, there was no advantage to a monosynth other than that it was simpler and cheaper when synths first came out.
The disadvantages however are the thing that changes the way in which you use the synthesizer, and this influences the result you produce.

It is important to "consider the difficulty of tracking monosynths on tape" indeed as this may very well lend some insight into how to produce the sort of results you hear on older records.

There is of course no way you could use a poly-synth to learn these methods intuitively because you are not forced into a corner in the same way. The influence is gone... call it the mono-muse.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Use the arpeggiator.

I suspect the result would be similar to if you tried the same thing with hardware - it's hard to get right. I tried a few times back in the 80s with mono synths and then again more recently. It's now easier to do, you can play chords on a keyboard, then split them into mono tracks and then use multiple instances but for me it sounds just too much. Not entirely sure why.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

When I do this with my monosynths it sounds exactly like a polysynth.

I just set up the patch I want, leave it run. I play the polyphonic part in using some polyphonic plugin to monitor, then I use my "notelogic" plugin to divide to voices. From here I render one voice at a time, usually four or so is all that is needed for a lot of simple polyphonic parts - we're not talking about pads here, right? - often I even do layers with three or four different presets.

You need a good synthesizer with minimal frequency drift, so a good temperature compensated one. I use a tempco on mine, I replaced the active tempco with a resistor in my sh-09 and it actually tracks way better without needing to "warm up" too!

You have to record all the voices without changing the preset. If you need modulation/automation, you should use MIDI CC or similar. I use this to do cutoff modulation with mine most often.

For each layer, change the preset as desired and then record all voices for that layer.

This is standard multi-tracking stuff, anybody with basic experience should understand how to do this intuitively.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Return to “Instruments”