Looking for an over the top tape sim

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion

szalonykp wrote:It's funny - I have both SDRR and Magnetic :) but does SDRR has wow/flutter?
:dog: :oops: sorry about that ... don't know what I was thinking. Have you tried Wow & Flutter by The Interruptor? It's SE, so 32 bit windows only.

cron wrote:
JerGoertz wrote:TB ReelBus has a "crusty old tape" or somesuch model, which can really push the wow and flutter as well as the tape noise and distortion. For getting that worn-out old tape effect it's the best one-stop solution I've found, except maybe for Sonitex, although Izotope Vinyl, some Reaktor ensembles, followed by a tape saturation sim can work well too.
Yep, one of the models in Reelbus is absolutely busted in terms of wow, flutter, and stereo artifacts. Cheap too, so worth a look.

As an outlier, how about Dyvision's Video Tape Emulator. That can really bust things up with noise and wobble. Bit of a one-trick pony though. http://www.dyvision.co.uk/videotape/vt.html

Used the Dyvision plug on this track quite extensively, along with a ton of other degradations and noisy things at all points in the chain. I think Dyvision might even be on the master bus actually. Never got finished though. https://soundcloud.com/charityqueen/flo ... -early-wip
OMG I want that video tape emulator! Anything like it for mac?
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

I'm not up on Mac software, but I will say the Videotape Emulator is very limited. Most of the knobs offer the slightest tweak to the core algorithm. It's only really got one sound. It's a fun plug to have though, and the price is right.

Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Kullervo wrote:
nice stuff !
I'm telling you, if you wait for a sale, the Virsyn effects are really some of the best.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

If you want to use the tape sim for effects, then I'd certainly say try Satin for it's sound and flexibility. e.g. Saturation, wow/flutter, delay, flange etc.

NB) Slate VTM is an accurate tape sim, but it introduces noticeable latency.

zerocrossing wrote:Virsyn's VTAPE is by far the best I've tried. They may still be having their summer sale.
A very old plug. I do remember somebody claiming he had replaced his Revox with it. Is the VTAPE upsampled like Satin?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Look no further than ReelBus. I use it for exactly the same purposes, and it never fails. [/thread] :)

The best I've heard IMO is the UAD Studer but I can't afford so use Klanghelm SDRR and others (ToneBoosters) ...

Thanks guys for all the replies.
Thanks for that demo zerocrossing - I thought VTAPE is over my budget, but it indeed sounds great... I will demo the rest of the plugins (I think ReelBus and Satin) and decide which one sounds the best abused :).

Ok. So I thought I will contribute a little bit more to this thread. I've tested some of the plugins and recorded a little preview for you all interested in torturing tape sims :).

I haven't checked SKNote RoundTone (no demo) and I've found some AirWindows plugins with flutter, but they were way too subtle for this use. And no Waves plugins - sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK3GBR0 ... e=youtu.be

What I liked the best? I think ToneBoosters ReelBus is the winner here for me. It's lacking a proper tape speed control, but I like the overall sound and the musicality of the wow&flutter.

I wrote a silly tune for the above demo, it was too complex sonically to use in the preview - but here it is with ReelBus abused on the master bus:

http://paluchowski.pl/TB_ReelBus_extreme_tape.mp3

uad studer and ithe nebula world cdsoundmaster R2R and tapebooster

Instead of trying to juggle knives,you might aswell just buy a cassette deck.what you want plugins don't do (yet) well.if that's a little too big for your needs or whatever,buy a portastudio by tascam,fostex etc etc.they actually sound even more crusty than hifi cassette decks

If you are specifically looking for a plugin then i'd suggest Roundtone coupled with Nebula "Tape Boosters".the saturation sounds the nicest on Roundtone out of all the others i've tried the lofi algo gets close but it lacks the fuzziness and IM you get from tape and the transient dampening? is abit poor on some material.the wow and flutter sounds pretty convincing,but it doesn't effect the pitch

Just bite the bullet though and get a cassette deck and or portastudio :)
I

cfanyc wrote:uad studer and ithe nebula world cdsoundmaster R2R and tapebooster
I don't have the UAD hardware, but as far as I can see UAD Studer has no wow&flutter. It's the same with R2R - no wow&flutter (nothing about it in the manual). Have you read the original question at the beginning of this topic?

Return to “Effects”