Softube Modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Multiphonics CV-2 Reaktor Softube Modular

zerocrossing wrote:
Blue Phase Music wrote:For those who are getting Modular, is it worth picking up Heartbeat at NI during their half-off sale for $99.50?

Heartbeat seems quite capable, but I haven't demoed it yet (if there is a demo, I need to look on Softube's site).

How does Heartbeat stack up against other drum synths? I've only used samples in the past.

Still on the fence about Modular. I recently picked up the Reaktor 6 upgrade, and I'm not trying to emulate any particular HW.
So far I've not heard anything from Softube Modular that seems better than Reaktor 6. Heartbeat is good, but I didn't think it was worth the original asking price. For $99 though, if you need a drum synth, that is a good deal. If you have other good drum synths or like your samples... I'm not sure it'll really get you that much you don't already have. It is easy and fun to patch together drum sounds in Reaktor's block system and there are many cool pre-made Reaktor ensembles that do interesting drum sounds and cool sequencers as well.

The thing I don't like about Softube's modular is highlighted in your post. You're already thinking of buying the next module that a while ago you didn't even think you needed. So the basic modular set up and the Heartbeat modules are already the same cost as Reaktor 6. When you look at what is in Reaktor 6, not even counting user library freebies, it's just a much better value. The reason I avoid Eurorack mania is just this kind of thing. I know I'd spend all my time planning and swapping modules and saving up for the next cool thing. I think if Softube modules were priced in the $10-15 range I'd be down with it, but it seems like it could get really pricey very quickly... And it's not like I've even fully explored Reaktor yet.
If the emulations really are that good, I don't mind the pay-as-you-go model. It's cheaper than HW, and, if I hear correctly, will work WITH a HW system in some manner (though I need to find out more about that).

Of course I'd prefer modules to cost less, but honestly, we don't know, for sure, what they'll cost to begin with. I'm thinking that they gave us a range so that they could determine, based on reactions, what they'll charge. I could be wrong, of course, but that's how I choose to think about it, for now.

I think IK is off the deep end with some of their prices for individual components in their Custom Shop, but then again, I don't buy individual components from most other companies, either, so I'm not really sure what they're worth. Softube's components seem to be more reasonably-priced that that, or so it seems.

I'm not totally defending Softube, it's just that this seems pretty interesting, and I'm still considering it, even with Reaktor.

Is it true that with Reaktor you get more modulation options than with HW (or HW simulations such as this?).
Blue Phase Music

I have Heartbeat and with the usual JRR discount Modular cost something around $83. Bought. :lol:

PS. Reaktor 6 i'll wait till it became part of Komplete so this comparison doesn't bother me anyway.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

I like the idea but fear it will be hugely addictive and ultimately very expensive. Like Eurorack and Hardware Modular generally: a rich person's toy, not for me. However when physical space is no longer a constraint, I am fearful there would be literally no end to the growth of a Softube Modular. A license for Softube to print money ! Although I am pleased the Eurorack developers are able to tap into a new market , which can only be good for the their further development in the format.

So I shall have to remain satisfied with alternative sources for now even if as I suspect the Modular will result in a superior sound, although at what cost when it comes to the burden on one's computer CPU : I have not seen economy mode mentioned for use prior to rendering the Modular tracks?

First time ever "pre ordering" software, fingers crossed that I will like the workflow :D
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

zerocrossing wrote:
So far I've not heard anything from Softube Modular that seems better than Reaktor 6.
If you are referring to Blocks... Softube Modular can be polyphonic

Also, Softube Modular can be freely wired on the GUI... no need to go into an edit mode to rewire things... it also does not have the 2 mod slots limitation of Blocks.

pdxindy wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
So far I've not heard anything from Softube Modular that seems better than Reaktor 6.
Where have you read this?

blob 59 wrote:I like the idea but fear it will be hugely addictive and ultimately very expensive.
I think it could be addictive and as software goes could definitely mount up but devices appear to be 10% or less of their hardware versions and if it is also polyphonic and with patch saving and the benefits of integration with DAWS etc I think it's worth it.

Is the $99 price just an intro price, or will that be the standard price?

pdxindy wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:

Also, Softube Modular can be freely wired on the GUI... no need to go into an edit mode to rewire things... it also does not have the 2 mod slots limitation of Blocks.
Why do you think that? Nothing in the information I've found implies it will be polyphonic. I mean, technically you can make a polyphonic blocks patch, but man is it expensive if you want something cool. I imagine SM will be pretty CPU intensive as well.

The two mod slot thing is a little limiting, so that would be nice. I've managed to work around it fairly easily though considering there doesn't seem to be a limit as to how many places you can route something.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

blob 59 wrote:I like the idea but fear it will be hugely addictive and ultimately very expensive. Like Eurorack and Hardware Modular generally: a rich person's toy, not for me. However when physical space is no longer a constraint, I am fearful there would be literally no end to the growth of a Softube Modular. A license for Softube to print money ! Although I am pleased the Eurorack developers are able to tap into a new market , which can only be good for the their further development in the format.

So I shall have to remain satisfied with alternative sources for now even if as I suspect the Modular will result in a superior sound, although at what cost when it comes to the burden on one's computer CPU : I have not seen economy mode mentioned for use prior to rendering the Modular tracks?
The difference here is that modular/Eurocrack has hundreds of companies out there making devices/modules whereas this is supposedly only Softube developing new modules. For that reason alone, I think you'll be hard pressed to see more than a handful of well-emulated modules a year.

I was wrong that one time before though...

bharris22 wrote:Is the $99 price just an intro price, or will that be the standard price?
Standard
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

Thanks!

ImNotDedYet wrote:
blob 59 wrote:I like the idea but fear it will be hugely addictive and ultimately very expensive. Like Eurorack and Hardware Modular generally: a rich person's toy, not for me. However when physical space is no longer a constraint, I am fearful there would be literally no end to the growth of a Softube Modular. A license for Softube to print money ! Although I am pleased the Eurorack developers are able to tap into a new market , which can only be good for the their further development in the format.

The difference here is that modular/Eurocrack has hundreds of companies out there making devices/modules whereas this is supposedly only Softube developing new modules. For that reason alone, I think you'll be hard pressed to see more than a handful of well-emulated modules a year.

I was wrong that one time before though...
Given the expected price per module, I'd be just fine with a slower pace of development!
:wink:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

aMUSEd wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
Where have you read this?
I watched the demo video (page 1) by a Softube dude and he mentioned that there is no additional cost to use a module polyphonically (comparing to the cost of hardware modular)

Does SM have any audio inputs?

Return to “Instruments”