Synful Orchestra - wow!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Yoss, just wondering what you think of this compared to Oasys and VL stuff...I'm downloading it now, and can hardley believe the 1st 2 MP3's! I want to see how it responds to breath control...and I just ordered 3 VSL Horizon series 3 days ago! Possibly bad timing on my part. James
"The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person. For God will bring every act to judgement, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil." Solomon.

The strings do sound good, though in parts they sounded synthetic but so do many sample libraries at times.

The articulations on most of the instruments are quite good most of the time. It sounds very expressive.

But, overall the sounds are very synthetic.

It is some of the best modelling I have heard, but it isn't really ready yet.

At $475 it is most likely a curiosity for someone with enough money to splash around easily.

It looks like modelling may overtake samples in the not too distant future.

isn't it sample based with physical modeling only for the expressiveness?

ttoz wrote:isn't it sample based with physical modeling only for the expressiveness?

at 19mb's I'd say yeah, definately..

Ok. I just tried the demos and it does seem to be made from actual samples. Damn. I really hoped this was a true physically modelled thing. Well it aint.

Sicklecell666 wrote:
ttoz wrote:isn't it sample based with physical modeling only for the expressiveness?

demo is 43.8mb download :?
Last edited by ObsoleteAcc99 on Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Real instruments have many ways of moving from note to note: slurs with varying amounts of portamento, lightly tongued or bowed note transitions, fast runs, detached hard attacks, etc. These note transitions are the connective tissue of musical expression. Synful Orchestra models these transitions. Synful Orchestra models the way notes are sustained, the graceful onset of vibrato, breath sounds, the sound of the bow on the string, the change of tone color as a note becomes louder or softer.

ttoz wrote:
Sicklecell666 wrote:

demo is 47mb download :?
wrong thread..

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

There's too much cough syrup in my Vicodin..

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

hey..

wait a minute..

:?

I thought you were going to bed, stink-britches?

:x

Sicklecell666 wrote:
I thought you were going to bed, stink-britches?

:x
i got my second wind :x

Ok, some updates. i have installed the demo. it is the full version and 15 days functional (no limitations).

43.8 mb download.

let me tell you now not to bother.

$479? i literally am LMAO and think this is a Christmas joke. The majority of the samples are of such dirty and poor quality I can get much, and i mean MUCH better freeware soundfonts. just play the violins or bass in the lower register and you will see what i mean. upper registers aren't bad.

I can't tell this revelation they are talking about with their supposed PM. obviously it's got something to do with their player and they way it responds to keys. seems like any other rompler to me.

Cpu usage is moderate, same as ram usage. seems stable. easy to use, the sounds are spread over the 16 midi channels, you just pick whatever sample set you want for that midi channel and play. But overall TTOZ says:

BZZZZZZZ!
Utter BS and a rip off.
Can't wait to see what Devon thinks
Last edited by ObsoleteAcc99 on Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jcn7 wrote:Hi Yoss, just wondering what you think of this compared to Oasys and VL stuff...I'm downloading it now, and can hardley believe the 1st 2 MP3's! I want to see how it responds to breath control...and I just ordered 3 VSL Horizon series 3 days ago! Possibly bad timing on my part. James
Hi James,

As others have pointed out, this isn’t modeling but a combination of sampling and a bit of additive synthesis. I’ve played a little with the trial version (which is fully functional but times out after 15 days) and it’s clearly going to take a lot of work to get something as impressive as the mp3 demos. :oops:

To get the most believable articulations you need to turn on the ”Delay for Expression” feature. This imposes a one-second delay on audio play-back while the plugin performs its magic – obviously not useable for real-time playing. :hihi:

With the feature turned off you can still get decent enough results, tho.

The strength of this technology seems to be in the transitions: slurs, trills, runs a s o. For exposed legato lines it’s less convincing. I like the way this is going, though and it can only get better. To get these results from such a small set of samples is quite an achievment.

/Yoss

I have heard some song demos from various forums that people have made with ewql gold, and there is simply no comparison. grabted the songwriters were very gifted but the sound quality of the ewql was clearly superior by a mile, and cheaper when the group buy was on. thats why 700 people bought it. :wink:

Thanks Yoss! well, I'm at 50% of the download now, but with yours and others info, I think I'll stop the download. I've got VSL Solo Strings, Epic Horns and Woodwind Ensembles comming next week for my new Giga 3 system...that coupled with my trusty VL-70M and Oasys...well, you know... Hey, Merry Christmas to you! PS. Are you still working with your Oasys? Take care. James
"The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person. For God will bring every act to judgement, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil." Solomon.

just another quick note. Tassman 4 and the entire suite of Harm Visser patches (with all future expansions free) costs the same to buy combined as this on itw own, and with Tassman you will get TRUE physical modelling from start to finish.

The Beethoven mp3 is absolutely impressive. If that result can be really achieved with the synth, it's a bargain. No matter if it's realtime or not.

No library on earth can do those slurs with that freedom.

-René

Return to “Instruments”