Recorded MIDI notes not auto quantizing to grid as expected in W13

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Auto quantize for recorded MIDI does not seek to work properly. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

Steps to reproduce
1.Add a virtual instrument to a track (in my case Addictive Drums)
2.Click on the track's input device
3.On the right of the bottom panel, change the quantization type to 1/16 beat
4.Enable the metronome click, press record and start playing the instrument
5.After recording and listening to playback, some notes are recorded on the grid as expected while some are off slightly.

I always have to go back and manually move the off notes. This is not an ideal way for me to produce my tracks. Unless I'm missing a step or two, I'm guessing this might be a bug. Please advise how to resolve this issue.

My system is a M1 Mac Studio with 64gb memory with a Scarlett 18i8 as my audio device. I have the audio buffer size set to 64 samples. This is the same setting I use in Cubase/Nuendo and Studio One and MIDI recording with auto quantize enabled working perfectly on those DAWs.
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

Hi!

Can’t be sure if this is part of the problem, but I think waveform quantize units are per ‘beat’ not ‘per measure’. Typically you would assume the there are 16 16th notes per measure, so quantizing to 1/16 would correct the notes to those measure divisions.

I think in waveform speak you are dividing one beat ( the 1, let’s say) into 16 units as opposed to the whole measure. So 1/2 beat would be 8th notes and 1/4 beat would be 16th notes in waveform.

My math may be wrong, but that’s how I understood it to work. If I’m completely wrong I’ll delete this post. :)

Thanks for responding dopet. That was the answer I was looking for. It turns out that a 1/4 beat is 16th notes in Waveform. All the notes are recorded correctly now once I made that adjustment. :tu: :clap:
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

Awesome! Glad it worked. :)

Return to “Tracktion”