is possible make shaping with SonicBirth if how?

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

is possible make shaping with SonicBirth if how?

Could you rephrase or elaborate because I really don't understand the question.

Kewl wrote:Could you rephrase or elaborate because I really don't understand the question.
i want know if this kind process possible ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waveshaper

From Wikipedia
How it works

A waveshaper is an audio effect that changes an audio signal by mapping an input signal to the output signal by applying a fixed or variable mathematical function, called the shaping function or transfer function, to the input signal (the term shaping function is preferred to avoid confusion with the transfer function from systems theory). The function can be any function at all.

Mathematically, the operation is defined by the waveshaper equation

y = f(a(t)x(t))

where f is the shaping function, x(t) is the input function, and a(t) is the index function, which in general may vary as a function of time. This parameter a is often used as a constant gain factor called the distortion index. In practice, the input to the waveshaper, x, is considered on [-1,1] for digitally sampled signals, and f will be designed such that y is also on [-1,1] to prevent unwanted clipping in software.

Commonly used shaping functions

Sin, arctan, polynomial functions, or piecewise functions (such as the hard clipping function) are commonly used as waveshaping transfer functions. It is also possible to use table-driven functions, consisting of discrete points with some degree of interpolation or linear segments (see the accompanying screenshot for an example of a waveshaper that uses linear segments).
Yes, it's possible: have a look at the trigonometric elements in SonicBirth.

Kewl wrote:From Wikipedia
How it works

A waveshaper is an audio effect that changes an audio signal by mapping an input signal to the output signal by applying a fixed or variable mathematical function, called the shaping function or transfer function, to the input signal (the term shaping function is preferred to avoid confusion with the transfer function from systems theory). The function can be any function at all.

Mathematically, the operation is defined by the waveshaper equation

y = f(a(t)x(t))

where f is the shaping function, x(t) is the input function, and a(t) is the index function, which in general may vary as a function of time. This parameter a is often used as a constant gain factor called the distortion index. In practice, the input to the waveshaper, x, is considered on [-1,1] for digitally sampled signals, and f will be designed such that y is also on [-1,1] to prevent unwanted clipping in software.

Commonly used shaping functions

Sin, arctan, polynomial functions, or piecewise functions (such as the hard clipping function) are commonly used as waveshaping transfer functions. It is also possible to use table-driven functions, consisting of discrete points with some degree of interpolation or linear segments (see the accompanying screenshot for an example of a waveshaper that uses linear segments).
Yes, it's possible: have a look at the trigonometric elements in SonicBirth.

i think something like for example i found these sin etc fuctions but i dont know way what i can make complex stuff like:

x is original sample
and y=neew sample
x=sin(x)*sin(x*2+sin(x*4-cos(x*2)*0.7)*0.43)
this is only example.

Either this
or this

One thing more about this is possible use for example slider(s) values to equation what also uses sound ?
if i want make own "distortion" with few controls.

and any way select what waveshaping module used ? i search some sort switch i know. and offtopic
i see only channel 0 how i can see two channels ?

Yes, you can replace constant values by variables (Insert element... -> Arguments -> Slider) and you can choose the "waveshaping module" by putting them in an Piecewise circuit (Insert element -> Miscellaneous -> Piecewise circuit).

And yes, you can have more than one channel: look in the Help menu, you will find the SonicBirth manual.

Kewl wrote:Yes, you can replace constant values by variables (Insert element... -> Arguments -> Slider) and you can choose the "waveshaping module" by putting them in an Piecewise circuit (Insert element -> Miscellaneous -> Piecewise circuit).

And yes, you can have more than one channel: look in the Help menu, you will find the SonicBirth manual.
Manual looks bit complicated for some things but i try if i want use this becouse example plugins crashed my host few times... btw i try learn programming someday and i talk mac os x programming not other computers/os.

JPQ wrote:example plugins crashed my host few times...
Be sure that you are using the last version of SonicBirth: http://www.radio.uqam.ca/ambisonic/soni ... _beta2.zip

Kewl wrote:
JPQ wrote:example plugins crashed my host few times...
Be sure that you are using the last version of SonicBirth: http://www.radio.uqam.ca/ambisonic/soni ... _beta2.zip
Thanks is never what i have.

Return to “SonicBirth”