Best way to create female vocals without a real female? CAN'T just up-shift formants on male vocals.

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think Dalal's original post is incredibly important & I completely agree: the best way (by far) to transgender your male voice is to do an *immaculate* impression of a slowed down female voice then speed it up. This amounts to 'trading' some of your surplus male resonance for female pitch. Software has very little to offer if you want serious quality results: apart from my sequencer's transposition function, the only vital thing I use is the free 31 band KarmaFX Equalizer in aggressive 24dB mode.

I do sometimes add some KR Reverb (free) to sung material (for encouragement) & use Voxengo SPAN (free) to keep an eye on things (like never allowing the feminized fundamental below 200Hz, & constantly tweeking projection into the base of the nose to raise the difficult early harmonics).

But for sure, the most powerful / sophisticated / subtle / authentically human tool you've got is your own vocal tract. My top 4 tips would be: (1) Most importantly, RELAX!!! Tension fatally reduces tract capacity & leaves you with not enough to trade for pitch before the dreaded Mickey Mouse effect sets in. (2) All vocalization must obviously be dramatically splayed / slurred / retarded: making your mouth into a long (but RELAXED!) tube will facilitate this. (3) Assuming you want a pure / beautiful sound, strip loose mucous from your vocal cords by softening a falsetto tone until it 'creeks'... Play with this 2nd much lower tone / vibration around the cords ending with a gentle throat clearance + swallow. Do this for 20-30mins before a 'session'. (4) A subtle but critical fact is that even beautiful female voices contain 'flashes' of brittle 'edge' or 'buzz' in many vowels. Ensure you have some of this texture by 'targetting' the base of the nose (in a completely RELAXED way of course!)

Luv+hugz, Zoned

Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Yes, Vocaloid does look fascinating: brute-force sample splicing to create a vocal from scratch. Totally different paradigm of course, & thankfully way too expensive & license-bound to tempt me away from singing like a girly!

budweiser wrote:Image
:scared:

thecontrolcentre wrote:
budweiser wrote:Image
:scared:
No formant tool required ! :D

what you up to today?

oh, reviving an ancient thread to add a detailed description of how to sound like a woman

really hoping you'll read it, like
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Of course, if your pre-transposition female is singing / speaking at minus 5 or 6 semitones, the whole performance must be correspondingly slowed... & (feminine gasp!) you'll run out of air... No worries: simply divide the vocal into manageable sections with an overlap & splice them in an audio editor like Muzys, Audacity etc. Sibilance / transients / fricatives / plosives (=brief noisy bits) make good splice points. Special subtlety: vowels just entering or leaving noise can often make even better splice points, using the noise not simply as 'glitch camouflage' but as a marker to locate an exactly matching oscillation as it breaks up or emerges.

xxxxxx (blows kisses)

This is me +5 semitones (+ a bit of Spicy Guitar vst...) Some proof of Dalal's transgender concept, I hope! Don't think of some hairy bloke, think of an Essex teenager called Lisa; she *was* a delinquent glue-sniffer, but it turns out she can hold a tune & might just have prospects!

http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/4oinkzpue ... 1.53MB.mp3

I won't get into the formant shifting aspect and all that, because other users have covered it better than I could anyway. Sorry if this is a little off topic.

You could try Fiverr, or hit up an open mic night and find an aspiring amateur who might be willing to do some vocals for free, or at a very low cost. Some people just love the sound of their own voice, and would be excited at the chance to lay down a track in a studio. Just don't be creepy about it!

Being a musician is more popular than ever nowadays, so depending on where you live, it shouldn't be too hard to find people to work with for free or very cheap, if you're okay with them not being professionals.

Hell, I live with a 26-year-old female vocalist who just loves to sing all day, from top 40s to old jazz standards and a lot in between. If you've got a track, I could show her and see if she's interested. She's cute too, if that helps ;) PM if interested

Wouldn't worry too much about being blatantly off-topic, funky lime - almost every response here disregards the original post one way or another.

Anyways, I've been working very hard developing Dalal's best method... Aint no real females in my wasteland!

http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/bfbk838u5 ... emale_.mp3

http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/7lubd5j35 ... emale_.mp3

May we call this 'Dalal's Method'? Or (perhaps) just FRET (Female-Retardation Emulation + Transposition)? Great ideas often get a catchy acronym!

Be good, Zoned x

Zoned wrote:Wouldn't worry too much about being blatantly off-topic, funky lime - almost every response here disregards the original post one way or another.

Anyways, I've been working very hard developing Dalal's best method... Aint no real females in my wasteland!

http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/bfbk838u5 ... emale_.mp3

http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/7lubd5j35 ... emale_.mp3

May we call this 'Dalal's Method'? Or (perhaps) just FRET (Female-Retardation Emulation + Transposition)? Great ideas often get a catchy acronym!

Be good, Zoned x
Hi! Can you tell in more detail (for people like me - unfamiliar with musical terms) what should I do to get this effect?
Also my poor knowledge of English makes understanding difficult. And it would be great to contact you for example by mail(or whatever you want) and ask a couple questions about feminization of my voice.

Thanks for reply!

Shit, why do you wanna sound like a female for?

Cut off balls and take a lot of female's hormones or perhaps some surgery but better avoid imitating them. Try to be musculine and better than those women.
samplitude is the best daw for me. To have studio like sound before asking questions on any audio forums in the internet please read the book by alex unlocking fx creative potential

Return to “Production Techniques”