Is outstanding musical talent related to intelligence?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hang out at kvr for a while and you'll know. ;) obviously no correlation at all, duh :P

If you believe an IQ test is an effective way to measure intelligence then answer is a clear NO!.

Not all people with a high IQ are "talented musicians".
eh?

Dunbar wrote:If you believe an IQ test is an effective way to measure intelligence then answer is a clear NO!.

Not all people with a high IQ are "talented musicians".
The question was more "Do all talented musicians have an high IQ?". Which, I believe, the answer would be also "NO".
Fernando (FMR)

debra1rlo wrote:hang out at kvr for a while and you'll know. ;) obviously no correlation at all, duh :P
...and your own IQ will diminish by a significant amount after a while...

In my view yes, whenever I see or meet someone who is very musically skilled, be it actual instruments or producing, I feel at least in some aspects of their mind are pretty sharp, to put it simply.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote:In my view yes, whenever I see or meet someone who is very musically skilled, be it actual instruments or producing, I feel at least in some aspects of their mind are pretty sharp, to put it simply.
As long as they don't drink too much (alc)...

robojam wrote:
debra1rlo wrote:hang out at kvr for a while and you'll know. ;) obviously no correlation at all, duh :P
mine has by ten points

debra1rlo wrote:
robojam wrote:
mine has by ten points
Mine too - and that's just since starting to read this thread!

The standard neuropsychological test batteries (like Wechsler's) would not be able to say anything about musical skills, and it is also weak on eidetic memory and knowledge. IQ-tests made by the many different IQ societies may in some cases say something about musical skills as some of them value creativity. So in general the IQ tests seem to measure the skills on what the IQ-test cover, and that can be diverse. Further, to link the score of an intelligence test with terms like 'talent', 'smart', 'savant' and 'genius' would require the use of specifically philosophical frameworks and as such it also turn out to be a very diverse case.

In his work on genius, Cesare Lombroso (1891), writes about genius as a degenerative disorder involving strange behavior and originality, and he underscore the difference from talent in that a genius would not know how he come to an amazing conclusion where the talent would know all about it. This may seem to point to, in Lombroso's view, that the genius miss, or have it work unconsciously, the skill to reason the talent is expert on. In a traditional IQ test, the genius would have got a fairly bad score where the talent would have got a high score. As mention, this is only one perspective of the many perspectives out there on terms associated, for many, to intelligence.

Personally I am a member of a few high IQ societies and at the same time have an average IQ score from Wechsler's Adult Intelligent Scale. To me this illustrate the range of differences in the definition of IQ and what is emphasized in an IQ test. And personally I rely on Henri Bergson's theories of intelligence.

Source:
Lombroso, C. (1891). The man of genius. London: Walter Scott.

fmr wrote:The question was more...
Yes, VORT3X left the term "intelligence" undefined; in an attempt to limit the scope I reframed the question to make it intelligible, to make it answerable, rather than a jump off point for further questioning.
Aiynzahev wrote:In my view yes... I feel at least in some aspects of their mind are pretty sharp, to put it simply.
You're lucky, I've been unfortunate enough to know some highly talented dullards.
Flandersh wrote:IQ-tests made by the many different IQ societies may in some cases say something about musical skills...
Personally, I believe music intelligence is something distinct from rational, analytic, intelligence; rationalization is a post hoc exercise, mostly, music intelligence is emotionally led.
eh?

some questions just shouldn't be answered, somethings do not need definitions or labels and imho such talk is counterproductive to artistic growth. I would be every upset if I ever heard another human being say "I'm not intelligent enough to be a musician" or "I'm too intelligent to be a musician" and again imho if the question were to be answered one of the two would happen. Art is without borders or too many definitions or at least (and again imho) should be that way.

All I see is reasons to exclude people from a wonderful gift...note one does not have to be gifted as in being very talented to enjoy the gift of being a musician. I say I am gifted because I have been given the gift of my passion being a musician...it's a gift I enjoy everyday and a gift that helps me make it through everyday.It's not my place to cast judgment on any other persons' expression or art or even what their 'gift' may be. It's also NO ONES place to cast judgment on my art or expression or what my gift is. It's not my place to cast judgment on another persons' intelligence nor is it anyone's place to cast judgment on my intelligence...every time I see people trying to do such things it makes me sad to think that people need to feel superior in any way possible.

I dont care myself, that's why I dont finish a lot of music because I have nothing to prove to anyone on the face of this earth. IF I am the sarmtest me right now that I have ever seen that's all that matters. If I want to say that I am the best at expressing myself through my chosen art I would love to know how someone else came claim they are better at expressing me then I am :hihi:

I love the internet and places like KvR, great places to grow in ones own desired directions abound everywhere...we all do not grow the same, we all are different and we all should embrace that. But at the same time there is this need to 'prove' something to people when in fact I think people are just looking to prove things to themselves. Worse yet some people are so insecure they need to tear down others to build themselves up...such questions just set the stage for this without serving any purpose.

FTR I will stipulate to the fact that every single person on earth is more intelligent than I and a much better artist than I can ever be. I have no outstanding musical talents nor any intelligence at all. Not having to prove such things allows me far more time to enjoy my passions (my gifts), gain knowledge, gain wisdom and grow...after all at the end of the day I define who I am and what I am...not some IQ test, not by popularity, not by my talents being judged by others...if I can just look in the mirror at then end of each day knowing that I did my best to grow a little more I'm good. :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I used to just drag n drop, now I think before I drop

Dunbar wrote:
Flandersh wrote:IQ-tests made by the many different IQ societies may in some cases say something about musical skills...
Personally, I believe music intelligence is something distinct from rational, analytic, intelligence; rationalization is a post hoc exercise, mostly, music intelligence is emotionally led.
What I meant was that some IQ societies emphasize other qualities than rational, analytic skills in addition. In example may the sequence 2,4,6,8,.. rationally be answered 10, but a creative soul may come up with other solutions to it and be awarded for that. Other IQ societies may ask direct questions, like in example "I want to be a musician rather than a scientist" and use that for calculating scores, or they may require an original piece of art to be submitted for review. So the IQ societies use different means to calculate IQ, and musical skills may serve as a positive score factor in one way or another.

I believe personally that musical skills both can play a rational and analytic role, and an intuitive role, wherease I prefer the latter; music as pure experience.

IQ isn't related to genius, in fact IQ is related directly to how far one will go in terms of higher education while the odds of reaching the success of our well known geniuses is crushed once you are involved in much more than a college course.

Instead genius and success is related to obsessive behavior. The vast majority of those famed for their genius and resulting work invested heavily in that work, often to the detriment of the rest of their lives.

"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer."
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote:IQ isn't related to genius, in fact IQ is related directly to how far one will go in terms of higher education while the odds of reaching the success of our well known geniuses is crushed once you are involved in much more than a college course.
How is IQ related to higher education?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”