Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper when audio preferences are not set correctly

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's been a while. If we really want something vile, let's turn it over to cables.

The OP really starts to lift off hahaha

At least I should thank him. Now I know why I make a living from music with more than 300 releases the past 5 years, using Reaper sounding so bad. I guess if OP was right, I'd be millionair, if I used another DAW *muahahaha* :box: :box: :box:
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

I dunno, I used to get caught up in these things. Then I decided I didn't care :hihi:

But I love the lolzes. Still, old school shoot 'em up......just as long as it doesn't get "too" old school :x

Every sample is sacred.

BachRules wrote: Also as a result of the misinformation from Reaper, Kontakt renders using time-saving interpolation instead of best-quality.
Don't have time to read all 7 pages and it seems c*** measuring but most definitely you are sharing wrong information intentionally or because lack of your skills to read Manual (which again makes me wonder how are you using Reaper).

Let us assume that what you claim is true. Did you ever know that in Kontakt there is a quality setting which override any DAW/host settings - therefore you can always render/interpolate in quality you want - be it best or lowest - depending on what you need. This can be easily measured as well.

Oh well...

BachRules wrote:
Also I wondered whether Kontakt's "interpolation" is limited to pitch-changing samples, or whether it might come in to play in other areas too. I don't know the answer there.
Oh...that's the deal...you don't even know what the interpolation is (and why it wouldn't matter in chromatic libraries) - let alone what it does and how it is referring to "quality" setting in Kontakt..

Ok i saw enough..

Leaving this thread because we have another truth savior here...Add Foe joke wasn't joke at all. It's true setting..
Last edited by kmonkey on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

What a fun thread.

I didn't read every single post, so I apologize if someone has already explained it like this, but...

Reaper makes a lot of design decisions that appear very stupid. There are countless features that many people would find useless and countless work-flow related issues that really just do not make the least bit of sense from anything other than the perspective taken when the decision was made to implement it that way.

In a lot of cases though like this one, the solution is actually just to go into the options and check a tick box to report the offline rendering status as usual to a plugin.

In fact it might be of note to understand that plugins actually poll the host for this information, the host does not report it. So when a plugin asks reaper what the rendering state is, it normally reports that it is operating in real-time.

The perspective you need to understand this decision for default behavior is much like the decision to implement the record/monitor functionality like a retarded 1980s tape multitracker.

If you are running in real-time when you configure the plugins and the plugins then dramatically change timbre when switching to offline, this would be undesirable behavior in many cases.

I would imagine that the intent was "what you hear is what you get."

So there you go.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

I'd just like to thank the OP for such a hilarious thread. Guys, why bother trying to explain? BackPain already knows all the answers - he's just trying to educate us, for goodness' sake :D

Oh the years I've wasted producing rubbish-sounding stuff, if only I'd known :cry:

mikusan wrote:I'd just like to thank the OP for such a hilarious thread. Guys, why bother trying to explain? BackPain already knows all the answers - he's just trying to educate us, for goodness' sake :D

Oh the years I've wasted producing rubbish-sounding stuff, if only I'd known :cry:
How much ecstasy would one have to take before your music sounds adequate.
If you criticize Spitfire Audio, the mods will lock the thread.

aciddose wrote:I would imagine that the intent was "what you hear is what you get."
So much for that:
I noticed that one of my tracks sounded different when I froze it.
Reaper 'Super-Mod' Ollie wrote:Please try checking "Inform plug-ins of offline rendering state" in Preferences->Plug-ins->VST...Compatibility settings.
Plus it not giving you what-you-hear-is-what-you-get when you use it with Kontakt, EWQL Play, and Vienna Instruments for starters; plus good sound takes more than a good intention years ago. Plus what-you-hear-is-what-you-get being a bad default for rendering.
Last edited by BachRules on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

kmonkey wrote:you don't even know what the interpolation is
But I do know what interpolation is, and my software won Electronic Musician Magazine's Editors' Choice Award, not your software, and it's really just that your interpretation of my post about interpolation was incompetent.
kmonkey wrote:Don't have time to read all 7 pages
So you missed the part about how it sounds for people who don't read all 339 pages of the Kontakt manual and all 416 pages of the Reaper manual. Not that the Reaper manual provides helpful information on this anyway.
BachRules wrote:
roland_rock wrote:There are a lot of options in Reaper, which can seem daunting, but it really is worth going through them and setting them to suit your own circumstances.
If a user doesn't do all that, it should still work, instead of generating people showing up in Google asking "why doesn't this work"? Reaper might sound good if you're a geek with all the time in the world to tweak settings (no offense, I'm like that), but the software world doesn't revolve around such geeks. There are people who need the sh-t to work up front, because they have lives and jobs and don't sit around all day on DAW forums, and they would do better on this with other DAWs.

BachRules wrote:...How much ecstasy would one have to take before your music sounds adequate.
Well that's one solution I suppose, maybe you could try it out and let me know :ud: but I was thinking more along the lines of switching DAWs....oh, wait, maybe even that won't save my music... :help:

Wrong title still not changed by mods?
Should read "Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper, when audio preferences are not set correctly".
ImageImage

WOK wrote:Wrong title still not changed by mods?
Should read "Kontakt sounds worse in Reaper, when audio preferences are not set correctly".
Or "Shite thread without kittens eats my hamster"
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

WOK wrote:Wrong title still not changed by mods?
"Reaper renders Kontakt, EWQL Play, Vienna Instruments, and DCAM Synth Squad worse than other DAWs at default values."

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”