Windows 10 - It's Free. It's Easy. No Worries.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just had a "Get Windows 10" notification popup on my Windows 8 machine. So, what's everyone's plan with this "limited time update? It's available July 29th.

I'm hoping I can install the upgrade on a separate disk and keep Win7 Pro for a while to see how I like Win10.
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

CC4 wrote:Just had a "Get Windows 10" notification popup on my Windows 8 machine. So, what's everyone's plan with this "limited time update? It's available July 29th.
You have until July 2016 to upgrade for free, according to Microsoft.

Considering Windows 7 is entering its "end of support" phase, it might be worth making plans now to move to 10. Yes, it's basically Windows 8 with most of Windows 7's interface put back onto it, but we won't get the extra years of support we got for XP, so we'll have to do something eventually, anyway.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

There is a KB update that installed that popup. You can uninstall it if you want..

Right now, there is no mention of an ISO -- it appears (as of now) to simply be a 3GB update that will happen if you opt in. If your system crashes after that, then what? I'd want an ISO and some DVDs ready.

And, from all I've read, the current build of Win10 is not exactly ready for the showroom floor. I doubt in less than 2 months they will have it ready (even though they will still release). I'd hold off at least a couple of months after its release and let the code base mature as well as get a better feel for the release method(s). Let the other willing early adopters be the test subjects.

As planetearth says, you have a solid year to decide to upgrade your Win7/8.1 license to 10 so it isn't something you have to jump on immediately.

I cant be assed reinstalling all my sampled instruments.

I like to have my os on a disc, don't like the sound of this download update.
Not sure, so I'll wait.
People are still using xp, so think 7 will be okay for a while yet.

I almost can't reinstall all my programs.
At least it would be a pain in the neck.
It's bloody nice of Gates & Windows though.
I'm not sure what's their financial incentive

Unless you have the size of your system disk sitting around unoccupied and never to be used, it isn't free, it's the cost for the storage of whatever size your system disk is!

Best plan: take a functional disk large enough to contain an image of your system disk. Copy the image to it. Install the upgrade and test it.

If you do not like it, use the image to write over your original disk, restoring it to where it was before.

Unless your system is over 500gb you're looking at $50 to $100. If you are, you can still find 3tb disks for $150 or less.

My system is under 40gb.

I can image my system disk and place it on one of my data disks, or an external backup. This stuff is a bit more important when you're a programmer, as is efficiency though so I wouldn't be surprised if a 40gb system is rare.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

planetearth wrote: Considering Windows 7 is entering its "end of support" phase, it might be worth making plans now to move to 10. ...
Windows 7 extended support will end 2020, that means there will still be security updates for the next five years. So no real hurry.

I "reserved" my upgrade, but i am pretty sure i won't install it now. I'd also like an ISO image so i can install it in a virtual machine and see whether i like it (did so with win8, good thing with VMs is you can simply throw them away ;)).
I am probably going to buy a new computer this or next year anyway, so any OS decision can wait until then.

aciddose wrote:My system is under 40gb.
Mine is 20gb right now :tu:

Passing Bye wrote:
aciddose wrote:My system is under 40gb.
Mine is 20gb right now :tu:
My windows directory (win7) is 24gb alone! :hihi:
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

My system disk is 437 gb

You guys are not even trying as far as apps hehe
I am a quasi-programmer

I think smaller SSD is the way to go for me, right now my whole "studio" is 4gb, 500gb drive for nothing, guess I'm done for time being as far as HDD's are concerned, can't fill up 90% of it :lol:

i would be careful and read all smallprinted texts.. maybe they will revoke your win7 serial when you agree to the upgrade, which would mean you won't be able to downgrade again legally, without buying a new copy of win7... i won't upgrade. bah!

This is good thread going and someone (Psychlist1972) from Microsoft team is giving more than handful of info about everything

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... -here.html

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”