Softube Modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Softube Modular

Definitely, it seems that for modular they put the time & money for UX and usability into other stuff … one really can feel that.

Even small changes would make STM so much more usable - first suggestions would be module copy/paste hotkeys without going into the browser, and a macro system exposed to host automation.

It's not the only bad interface. Even something like model 84 is so weirdly designed where you open the additional parameters and it cuts off just the left side of the synth controls. Why. It's a simple synth, you can fit all the controls at the same time. Like they did with model 72.

All the critics have an unanimous opinion:
Softube Modular is like hardware, soundwise and use-wise.
Welcome to the adult's instrument!

martinjuenke wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:07 pm All the critics have an unanimous opinion:
Yeah it's too bad they don't make children's instruments. Are those the well designed ones only?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:36 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:07 pm All the critics have an unanimous opinion:
Yeah it's too bad they don't make children's instruments. Are those the well designed ones only?
When you have a point, you have a point.
Let's dream on that they finally come up with the easy to use, good sounding killer modular. Softube, anybody at home tonight?

I get the feeling it may not be a super popular modular compared to other modular plugins, but the sound is excellent, probably the best out there, so I also hope they make workflow improvements.

Softube Modular is NOTHING like hardware use-wise. Using hardware is a fun, tactile experience. Once you've got your Rack setup and ready to go, you're patching things in and out with your hands, dialing in things by turning knobs, or moving faders, or pushing buttons. It's enjoyable.

With Softube Modular you've got the ball-ache of having to do a bunch of mousing around (not fun) and they didn't even make the types of workflow improvements that would make the experience better. It's not the adult's instrument, it's the masochist's isntrument.

I'd take VCV all day over Softube because workflow and enjoyment matter. VCV makes polyphony a breeze, moving modules around, copy/pasting, filtering in the browser, etc. Softube has good coders and sound, for sure, but it's just not worth it if I don't enjoy using the product. Using it feels like trying to make music in Excel or something.

Use wise? You dreamin. VCV smokes it when it comes to workflow

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:35 pm Softube Modular is NOTHING like hardware use-wise. Using hardware is a fun, tactile experience. Once you've got your Rack setup and ready to go, you're patching things in and out with your hands, dialing in things by turning knobs, or moving faders, or pushing buttons. It's enjoyable.

With Softube Modular you've got the ball-ache of having to do a bunch of mousing around (not fun) and they didn't even make the types of workflow improvements that would make the experience better. It's not the adult's instrument, it's the masochist's isntrument.

I'd take VCV all day over Softube because workflow and enjoyment matter. VCV makes polyphony a breeze, moving modules around, copy/pasting, filtering in the browser, etc. Softube has good coders and sound, for sure, but it's just not worth it if I don't enjoy using the product. Using it feels like trying to make music in Excel or something.
Oh, that's not good to hear. In a separate thread I just mentioned that I bought all the Softube "Model XX" synth plugins (Minimoog, Prophet 5, Juno 106, SH-101) plus Modular a while back at or perhaps even below Softube's current "Black Friday" prices.

I thought this is the closest I'm going to get to an actual modular rig. I just can't deal with the spaghetti mess of cables on a real modular, the absence of patch storage, and the lack of polyphony for the most part.

But I just can't seem to get into Softube Modular, even with all the modules from the "Model XX" synth plugins. It seems like one big ball ache. I guess modular just isn't for me. I would so much rather have a complex synthesizer with pre-wired modulation routings along with a really powerful modulation matrix and super powerful, great sounding built in FX.

I realize I've just described the Moog One. As expensive as it is, damn, that's probably my dream synth. Screw modular. The Moog One rules! LOL.

.. sure, it's a bit similar to the hardware if you are handicapped in the real world with just a single hand and two fingers. They emulated THAT experience perfectly! :hihi: :roll:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Careless Memories wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:46 am I realize I've just described the Moog One. As expensive as it is, damn, that's probably my dream synth. Screw modular. The Moog One rules! LOL.
Just pray that the new owners of Moog will not abandon this model.
It seems still a bit buggy and further development is said to be slow currently.

It seems to me that AAS Multiphonics can be a thing in between:
https://www.applied-acoustics.com/multiphonics-cv-2/

vertibration wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:30 am
Use wise? You dreamin. VCV smokes it when it comes to workflow
Workflow is not just to duplicate and rearrange modules, it is also about the modules. How they work, or does they work at least. They are many modules in the database, but a lot of them simply doesn't work 100% right and accurate.

Workflow also means to me, how easy it is, to get the sequencer stuff in-sync with the DAW. That's so much more simple and comfortable in Reaktor Blocks, but also in Softube Modular. They are no modules in VCV Rack with a simple sync-to-host (tempo) button on the front (at least I didn't know anyone), why I need to draw cables for this? It is software, not hardware, why not start using the advantages.

An example of my personal VCV Rack experience: I started a new sequenced patch in VCV Rack today, with two sequencers (cv+gate), a quantizer and a S/H module. After inserting the quantizer between the cv sequencer and the S/H module, the patch stopped working. Why? Well, because of the latency between the modules. I never experienced problems in that way in Softube Modular, neither in Reaktor Blocks.

VCV Rack is a (fun) toy for big boys to me, but not a professional instrument. For a professional instrument, it is also obvious, to solve bugs and take the customers seriously. This one is still a open and confirmed bug, I reported it twice directly to VCV. I still can't use the plugin in Ableton Live in that way I want, nearly two years after the release.

Rastkovic wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:12 am
Workflow is not just to duplicate and rearrange modules, it is also about the modules. How they work, or does they work at least. They are many modules in the database, but a lot of them simply doesn't work 100% right and accurate.

Workflow also means to me, how easy it is, to get the sequencer stuff in-sync with the DAW. That's so much more simple and comfortable in Reaktor Blocks, but also in Softube Modular. They are no modules in VCV Rack with a simple sync-to-host (tempo) button on the front (at least I didn't know anyone), why I need to draw cables for this? It is software, not hardware, why not start using the advantages.

An example of my personal VCV Rack experience: I started a new sequenced patch in VCV Rack today, with two sequencers (cv+gate), a quantizer and a S/H module. After inserting the quantizer between the cv sequencer and the S/H module, the patch stopped working. Why? Well, because of the latency between the modules. I never experienced problems in that way in Softube Modular, neither in Reaktor Blocks.

VCV Rack is a (fun) toy for big boys to me, but not a professional instrument. For a professional instrument, it is also obvious, to solve bugs and take the customers seriously. This one is still a open and confirmed bug, I reported it twice directly to VCV. I still can't use the plugin in Ableton Live in that way I want, nearly two years after the release.
Thanks for your in depth comment !

Return to “Instruments”