Selling VST2 after October 2018: Steinberg agreement

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VST Audio Plug-ins SDK (C++)

I'd like to write a CLAP plugin. However the examples seem obnoxious: why use QT? Why no Mac port? Why no OpenGL/Direct3D/Metal examples? That's a HUGE issue I had with Steinberg's stock examples. Very, very crude and cumbersome UI stuff. Keep it basic. And there is nothing more basic and performant than 3d accel.

LV2 at least has the Aether open-source plugin I can use to check how it works.

I'd like nothing more than the discriminatory practices of Steinberg to go away by getting rid of the VST standards.

gruust wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:08 am I'd like to write a CLAP plugin. However the examples seem obnoxious: why use QT? Why no Mac port? Why no OpenGL/Direct3D/Metal examples? That's a HUGE issue I had with Steinberg's stock examples. Very, very crude and cumbersome UI stuff. Keep it basic. And there is nothing more basic and performant than 3d accel.

LV2 at least has the Aether open-source plugin I can use to check how it works.

I'd like nothing more than the discriminatory practices of Steinberg to go away by getting rid of the VST standards.
There’s loads of examples out there. The clap-saw-demo is vstgui all platform and heavily documented to be pedagogically useful. There’s a bunch made with juce including surge. Plugins written in rust in the nih plugs package. And plenty more. And Alex’s at based examples do build on mac.

I don’t think anyone has an open source Vulcan / metal example yet but I could be wrong. The gui api just hands you a window pointer to reparenr into though,

The example project and helper files using Dear ImGUI uses a plug-in compatible binding to Metal/DirectX:

Demo project: https://github.com/free-audio/clap-saw-demo-imgui
Helper classes: https://github.com/free-audio/clap-imgui-support

(Bonus: There's a replacement for GLFW in this, so it's also an example for porting other abstractions of Metal etc. to a plug-in friendly basis)

gruust wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:08 am I'd like to write a CLAP plugin. However the examples seem obnoxious: why use QT? Why no Mac port? Why no OpenGL/Direct3D/Metal examples? ...
I'm not involved with Clap at all, but I think that the correct answer here is that Clap is not a framework, it's scope is host - plugin communication.

Think like VST and VSTGUI, Clap is like VST: you have to solve the UI problem yourself.

If you don't want to, just use a framework, e.g. JUCE.

I want to add that I track this library, but it doesn't seem mature enough yet:
https://github.com/cycfi/elements

re: 3d/accelerated graphics frameworks and examples

Examples could be developed as independent projects derived from CLAP rather than including them in CLAP.

Any standard which defined too many examples or used a heavyweight "SDK" is not going to be a success. VST was a success because unlike DXi and AU, it was incredibly light-weight (nothing more than one ~25 line C structure!) and could be implemented with any programming language.

I'd love to contribute more library code to CLAP. Most specifically a string-based hierarchical database and a tokenized string-based messaging system. This is code I use on a regular basis across a wide variety of projects and I find it incredibly useful to dispatch messages between the GUI and the underlying code in an abstract way.

The issue releasing such code is whether or not it is both genuinely "mature" and beneficial to others. While the core could be expanded with such features, even the existing functionality is a bit over baked. How many cross dependencies should be added? At which point is the line drawn? Truly flexible code is well written and modular enough to plug-in and mix with any other code seamlessly. Therefore, if such a thing was genuinely useful and mature enough I would expect I could release this code independently under a compatible license.

It is without a doubt best to minimize the inherent complexity of the foundation standard. Additional complexity can trivially be built upon a solid foundation in a far more flexible way.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

If it helps I just updated both the vstgui and imgui clap-saw-demo projects to clap 1.2.0 and did some other cleanup and stuff this morning.

Agree completely with acid dose. clap is the host <> plugin intercommunication and extension protocol. It gives you a platform-expressed place to draw. but what you actually draw there is a concern higher in the stack than the clap core. Let a thousand flowers bloom etc....

Synthedit is dropping VST2.
Saving VST2 plugins

SynthEdit 1.5 (and later versions) does not directly support the saving of VST2 plugins (only VST3). However, some projects can also be loaded in the older version (SynthEdit 1.4) and exported as VST2 plugins from there.
To save some hassle SE 1.5 export has a tickbox option 'Create a VST2 using SE 1.4'. All this does is automatically launch SynthEdit Version 1.4 (if it's installed) and export the same project from there.
limitations:
The project file must be compatible with SE 1.4, *.se1 not *.synthedit
The project must rely only on modules that are SE 1.4 compatible
You need to have the latest SE 1.4 installed (Build 695 or later)
...but WAIT!
New Features

MIDI 2.0 and MIDI Polyphonic Expression (MPE) support.
MIDI output support in plugins (depends on DAW support)
Apple Silicon (ARM) support.
VST3 plugins are supported on mac (not all macOS DAWs support VST3).
SFZ (Sample Playback) now supported.
Windows in the editor are now 'zoomable' (<CTRL> mouse-wheel).
Searchable module browser.
new oversampling mode for control-signals (add * to pin name)
'Export as JUCE' supports additional plugin formats in some cases (AAX, CLAP, Standalone)

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”