Architect : Writing the output of a numeric table into a data object

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi !
Here's an example preset to illustrate the (very simple ?) task I'd like to achieve.
I've succeeded in dumping a data array into a numeric table object. Which allows to store patterns, and to load them at will (as presented in the preset).
I'd like to draw a sequence with the numeric table, and to store it as data array. Basically, I'd love to do the opposite of my current example preset. For further editing, to store and recall patterns etc.
Pretty sure it's easy, though it's still pretty new to me.
Cheers !
n.

example.png
example.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

I'd probably use the [memory] modules, along with [store] and [load]. Any [store] or [load] modules that connect to the same [memory] all share access to that same memory block. You can save whatever you want in the memory. When I get around to writing proper preset saving macros, they'll probably work this way, with some reflection capabilities to make it easier to use in your own creations.

This example only stores a single array in the memory, but you could use an array of array if you wanted to save multiple presets.

I've attached the example below. If you want me to add in multiple preset support, then just ask.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Thank you so much Colin, I want to learn Architect and your help is invaluable. I think I'll use that fragment pretty often :)
colin@loomer wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:52 am This example only stores a single array in the memory, but you could use an array of array if you wanted to save multiple presets. [...] If you want me to add in multiple preset support, then just ask.
If you don't mind I'd love to have such fragments. Many things to learn once I've dissected it ;)

I realise I can print the values of a numeric table then copy/paste the result into a data object aftewerwards. Is there a way to directly print to a data object ?
.com
3OP

nilhartman wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:10 pm If you don't mind I'd love to have such fragments. Many things to learn once I've dissected it ;)
No problem, I'll let you know when I have something along these lines.
I realise I can print the values of a numeric table then copy/paste the result into a data object aftewerwards. Is there a way to directly print to a data object ?
Unfortunately, not into a [data] object. Because [data] objects are really for constant data, the only way to update them currently is through the user interface. Let me think about it a while, and I'll see if I can come up with a workaround. I'm beginning to get a picture of how you'd want all these parts to work together to create snapshots of a patch's state.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Dumb question after dissecting your fragments : how come I can't get panel elements to show when they're packed into a macro while you can ? I've looked at all options but haven't find the solution yet.
Cheers !
.com
3OP

Not a dumb question at all, but a very sensible one. You also need to ensure that the parent macro is shown in the panel. And if the macro is in a macro, its parent also need to be visible, and so on. Essentially, ALL the parents of the components need to be visible.

I do admit that can be a bit confusing, which is why in that screenshot (which is from the 0.11 build), you can see the component navigator on the right-hand. This makes it much easier to create and manage UIs.

Fantastic, once again thank you so much Colin !
What a marvelous piece of software you've created : I can't wait for v0.11 and its doc / examples and to study / reverse engineer them ;)
.com
3OP

So, I've repatched the above fragment, and learnt quite a few things, thanks ! The only caveat is I've yet to find a way to make the storage work while transport is on (if connecting a numeric table's higlighted step and read to any sort of clock).
I'm also trying to find the most efficient way to initialize all steps of a numeric table (and I guess, a boolean table). Simplest way I've found is to send a [0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0] data array to its write entry.
.com
3OP

nilhartman wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:16 pm I'm also trying to find the most efficient way to initialize all steps of a numeric table (and I guess, a boolean table). Simplest way I've found is to send a [0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0] data array to its write entry.
I think that currently is the most efficient way of doing this, but it does seem less than optimal. I'll look into adding a specific `clear` inlet, or something along those lines.

Colin, I"m having a hard time inserting this macro into a full-fleged sequencer. If I connect the output of a metronome > modulo to "play" the numeric table, then the whole memory part of the fragment doesn't work.

I almost made it work using a toggle calling a crossfader but no luck.

Any pointers ? Thanks !
colin@loomer wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:52 am I'd probably use the [memory] modules, along with [store] and [load]. Any [store] or [load] modules that connect to the same [memory] all share access to that same memory block. You can save whatever you want in the memory. When I get around to writing proper preset saving macros, they'll probably work this way, with some reflection capabilities to make it easier to use in your own creations.

This example only stores a single array in the memory, but you could use an array of array if you wanted to save multiple presets.

I've attached the example below. If you want me to add in multiple preset support, then just ask.
.com
3OP

nilhartman wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:55 pmIf I connect the output of a metronome > modulo to "play" the numeric table, then the whole memory part of the fragment doesn't work.
Any pointers ? Thanks !
Not sure without seeing how you've connected it up. Could you show me a screenshot of how it's wired? Thanks.

Return to “Loomer”