UAD still worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

kylie wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:25 pm No, but I have a corresponding coupon for each in my shopping cart view.
When I add it / them I get a message that it is not valid anymore although the validity info says it is valid until march 27th around midnight...
You have to follow the link from the email they send to DSP plugin owners. If you haven't gotten an email yet, wait a bit longer, you will. Their servers are slammed of course, so it will probably time out. UA felt the need to add yet one more way for things to go wrong, since all the other ways things go wrong with UA weren't enough.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Got the email meanwhile and it worked like a charm !
Thanks Eric for the heads up !

(The forum access confirmation link took a little longer but I guess it would have done the trick as well.)

jamcat wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:40 pm
kylie wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:25 pm No, but I have a corresponding coupon for each in my shopping cart view.
When I add it / them I get a message that it is not valid anymore although the validity info says it is valid until march 27th around midnight...
You have to follow the link from the email they send to DSP plugin owners. If you haven't gotten an email yet, wait a bit longer, you will. Their servers are slammed of course, so it will probably time out. UA felt the need to add yet one more way for things to go wrong, since all the other ways things go wrong with UA weren't enough.
You were right, and I added another hoop to jump through by having greylisting enabled on the mail server... 8)

But it's all fine now. Preferably I would have loved to learn about it from UA themselves and not from Audiodeluxe sending advertising emails beforehand... :P

so i had to sign up for the newsletter then confirm my email then about an hour later the links showed up in my email.
• Logic Pro 10.8.1
• MacBook Pro 2023 - M2 MAX - 96 GB RAM
• Focusrite Red 8Line + UAD Satellite

Anyone else have this issue?
My native Helios type 69 is not recognized by cubase 12(windows10)It is listed as installed in UAD connect.It is activated in my ilok account. Connect install path Comonfiles/universalaudio/plugins Cubase blaclisted the UAD native plugins.
UA support is a cluster $%^&.
Thanks, Bill

My native Helios type 69 is not recognized by cubase 12(windows10)It is listed as installed in UAD connect.It is activated in my ilok account. Connect install path Comonfiles/universalaudio/plugins. Cubase black listed the native plugins.
UA supprt is a cluster@#$%
Thank ,Bill

Not the biggest issue with UA Connect, but I have something new and irritating.

I only have the LA-2A in my account, the one that was free for a while. The great advantage of this rather than any other native plugin that they do is that you can machine authorise it. So I have one activation on my Macbook, and one on my physical iLok which lives in the PC. None on iLok Cloud.

The way I work is to always have the iLok cloud always open on the macbook, and it's been pretty seamless for me. However I started noticing that my PC was "stealing" the iLok Cloud session every time I switched it on, even though I was never opening it on the PC. After support to Avid and then PACE, PACE confimed it was a background activity by UA Connect - even though it was never using the iLok Cloud.

Now every time I have to manually sign in to iLok Cloud on the mac before I can launch anything. It's not cancer, but it is dumb and annoying. I've put in a support case with UAD, but not holding my breath.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:04 am After support to Avid and then PACE, PACE confimed it was a background activity by UA Connect - even though it was never using the iLok Cloud.
Then why are you running UA connect? The licensing is handled by iLok. UA Connect is just their uppity download / "manager" app which seems to think it can launch itself with their plugins.

Rename UA Connect to Garbage Connect, and only ever rename it back if the plugins complain or you want to check for updates.

PAK wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:00 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:04 am After support to Avid and then PACE, PACE confimed it was a background activity by UA Connect - even though it was never using the iLok Cloud.
Then why are you running UA connect? The licensing is handled by iLok. UA Connect is just their uppity download / "manager" app which seems to think it can launch itself with their plugins.

Rename UA Connect to Garbage Connect, and only ever rename it back if the plugins complain or you want to check for updates.
Ooh thanks I'll try that. Thought the gui would just stay fuzzy without it.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:04 am
The way I work is to always have the iLok cloud always open on the macbook, and it's been pretty seamless for me. However I started noticing that my PC was "stealing" the iLok Cloud session every time I switched it on, even though I was never opening it on the PC. After support to Avid and then PACE, PACE confimed it was a background activity by UA Connect - even though it was never using the iLok Cloud.
I would much rather assume it's actually the service "Pace licensing services" that's by default running automatically. If you set it to "manual" that should do the trick.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:54 pmI would much rather assume it's actually the service "Pace licensing services" that's by default running automatically. If you set it to "manual" that should do the trick.
UA Connect, much like the Softube app, links to your iLok account in order to "manage" licenses. So it can control the iLok software.

What that actually means, in practice, is doing things like applying licenses in order to prevent support requests. EG Softube, by default, will install machine based activations even if you've already got a dongle plugged in with those activations on it.

Ah, I see - thanks!
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:20 pmOoh thanks I'll try that. Thought the gui would just stay fuzzy without it.
Luckily not. I'm assuming you also tried going into settings / manage location, on the UA connect app, and set the default location? On the paid versions it only shows dongle or cloud. I'm realising it'll likely show you something different with the free plugin which can use Machine ID?

If you can set it then it's failing to check whatever you've set for licenses first, then freeing the other ones up in case they're needed. Beyond just making it easier to download a bunch of updates, these manager apps are really about the companies convenience, and so the default behavior will be whatever they think helps prevent the most support requests.

I renamed the Mac UA app and all seems well. I tried the same trick in Windows but the process was still going somehow so I thought "sod it" and uninstalled UA Connect there completely. Currently everything still works. And what's the worst that can happen? I put it back again.

It has definitely put me off buying any UA native plugins. It just introduces an extra layer of faff I don't need if it mucks around with iLok cloud even if you dont use the bloody thing.

As it is, the LA-2A stands apart, the only Native product that uses machine authorisation and it does seem you can uninstall UA Connect and have it working just fine.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:49 am I renamed the Mac UA app and all seems well. I tried the same trick in Windows but the process was still going somehow
On Windows it also installs a service (UAHelperService) so it isn’ t enough just to rename the app - you’d have to disable the service too.

On MacOS the equivalent is under General / Login Items / Allow in Background, so you’ll have a Universal Audio entry there too. That's pointed at the com.uaudio.bsd.helper launch daemon (MacOS, itself, won't tell you this). So you can turn that off, if you want, too.
It has definitely put me off buying any UA native plugins. It just introduces an extra layer of faff I don't need if it mucks around with iLok cloud even if you dont use the bloody thing.

As it is, the LA-2A stands apart, the only Native product that uses machine authorisation and it does seem you can uninstall UA Connect and have it working just fine.
In this case, I think ( ;) ) the issue might be that their manager has been coded with the expectation of either dongle or cloud, and you can set the priority of those per machine. But this doesn't do you much good when you've got the one plugin those settings don't apply to ;)

Whilst, personally, I'd rather not have all of these managers that want to permanently run and think they know what they’re doing - until they don’t, I wouldn’t let it put you off the UA plugins overall. They’re fairly solid, usually good on CPU, and the rename “trick” is an annoyance but easy enough. IMO UA Connect is far from the worst of its type.

Return to “Effects”