UAD still worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Jac459 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:38 am I got the polymax recently and I must say I was a bit disappointed. To my defense, I am not a VA lover (except OBX sound that I love).
Did I miss something?
It's the best sounding boring synth ever made.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:19 am
Jac459 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:38 am I got the polymax recently and I must say I was a bit disappointed. To my defense, I am not a VA lover (except OBX sound that I love).
Did I miss something?
It's the best sounding boring synth ever made.
Ha ha, love the description.

Uncle E wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:19 am It's the best sounding boring synth ever made.
You can still make interesting music with boring instruments, though... ;)

My opinion is that PolyMAX is one of the best sounding "simple" synths out there. It's not trying to be an emulation, but an "original" synth instead. While working with it for my latest OSC entry I found it to be super easy to manipulate and has a beautiful sound. Totally worth the pickup while it's free with something bundled, or for pennies on the second hand market!
Check out my OSC (One Synth Challenge) entries and more Logic Pro sequences on SoundCloud and YouTube.

cdbaksu wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:44 pm My opinion is that PolyMAX is one of the best sounding "simple" synths out there. It's not trying to be an emulation, but an "original" synth instead. While working with it for my latest OSC entry I found it to be super easy to manipulate and has a beautiful sound. Totally worth the pickup while it's free with something bundled, or for pennies on the second hand market!
Yes you can get Ketelnikov for $10 with free polymax, then buy Slick EQ M for $20 and get the free pulsar EQ. Imagine getting all that for $30 when starting out? In my day I had to sell one of my kidneys to have waves put a noise floor in my plugins that I couldn't turn off! :lol:

Just picked up Polymax and think it sounds great. Clean and fat. Prefer it to the sound of Opal which comes off a bit sterile to me.

I also think Polymax has one of the most visually friendly GUI's i have seen in a bit.

MattLeschuck wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:19 pm ....

I also think Polymax has one of the most visually friendly GUI's i have seen in a bit.
Well, to be honest it is also because it is the simplest/basic synth we have seen in a bit...

Yes it's simple, but IMO, it's easy to make PolyMax sound good. I also put The Drop after it if I'm looking for some more creative filter effects.

If UA focused on sound quality over complexity, then it looks like they’re once again the dev who is doing it right.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Helios and Manley Vari-Mu
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I picked up a great UAD bundle over Black Friday — and the sound city and capitol room plugins are about the most plugins I own. I would pay full asking price (ouch) to replace them if I had to...so for someone who has never used UAD before, I'm impressed.

Anyone successfully added Helios and Vari-Mu Apollo/Native coupons to the cart ?

Did you receive the email from them with your unique link and coupon code?

No, but I have a corresponding coupon for each in my shopping cart view.
When I add it / them I get a message that it is not valid anymore although the validity info says it is valid until march 27th around midnight...

Try clearing your cart and then adding the plugins via the banner links:

https://uadforum.com/community/index.ph ... png.18068/

Return to “Effects”