Insert Silence Before Start

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All,

When I am rendering I want there to be a certain amount of silence (0.3 seconds) before the audio starts. What is the best way to do this in bitwig? Every method I try has drawbacks: like if I use insert silence then it does it by beats and not seconds and then it changes the numbers of where everything is in the entire project, etc.

Ideally I just want to type in a number of ms (or beats or bars at least) and have that inserted before bar 1 lol.

Thanks!

I am not really sure, if I want to know why, but simply put a timeshift on the master track, select ms and dial in your value. Should be 300ms ? right?

Really the best way is a time shift utility on my master track? I love bitwig, but sometimes it is a real kludge... especially when it comes to basic mixing and mastering stuff which was sooo easy in other daws. I mean does no one who uses bitwig mix and master their own stuff for release in multiple formats?

HBIII wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:51 am Really the best way is a time shift utility on my master track? I love bitwig, but sometimes it is a real kludge... especially when it comes to basic mixing and mastering stuff which was sooo easy in other daws. I mean does no one who uses bitwig mix and master their own stuff for release in multiple formats?
I think generally people mix and master in separate sessions, so when they master, they master based on an audio file that they place where they want.

But I actually do like you and was asking myself the very same question.

Sorry I thought you were searching for a great solution. Did not notice you just want to complain about something.

OdoSendaidokai wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:45 am Sorry I thought you were searching for a great solution. Did not notice you just want to complain about something.
Oh don't misunderstand, I really appreciate your solution, I am just sometimes annoyed with bitwig.

By the way, do you know if there is a way to condition some of the automations to the export function ?

For example, I want to activate the 300ms delay only when I export.
Or say I am using a postmaster DSP to simulate a certain environment or headset and I want to deactivate it when I export.

Jac459 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:06 am
HBIII wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:51 am Really the best way is a time shift utility on my master track? I love bitwig, but sometimes it is a real kludge... especially when it comes to basic mixing and mastering stuff which was sooo easy in other daws. I mean does no one who uses bitwig mix and master their own stuff for release in multiple formats?
I think generally people mix and master in separate sessions, so when they master, they master based on an audio file that they place where they want.

But I actually do like you and was asking myself the very same question.
I used to do it that way when my computer wasn't powerful enough to handle all the mastering plugins on top of the mixing plugins etc, but that is not so much of an issue today with m1+ computers. If I am mixing and mastering myself I like to try to keep everything in one project so if I notice something in the mix that needs tweeking during mastering I can just tweek it instead of resorting to more complicated multiband processing or whatever.
Jac459 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:51 pm By the way, do you know if there is a way to condition some of the automations to the export function ?

For example, I want to activate the 300ms delay only when I export.
Or say I am using a postmaster DSP to simulate a certain environment or headset and I want to deactivate it when I export.
This would be perfect, but I dont think bitwig lets you do anything like that unfortunately :-(.

There is an activate button on every device, including the chain device. Is activating that before I export too much of a hassle???
I usually load a ready made mix into an external audio editor anyway for the final mastering…

1. Insert Time Signature Change at the beginning of the project
2. Drag the signature change marker to the right by the amount you need

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:19 am There is an activate button on every device, including the chain device. Is activating that before I export too much of a hassle???
I usually load a ready made mix into an external audio editor anyway for the final mastering…
"Is activating that before I export too much of a hassle???" ==> No. I love bitwig and will continue to use it.
But definitely it is a bit of an hassle for me because when I am doing the final mastering I am exporting very often to listen on various medium and I am always wondering if I thought about deactivating the mentionned device or not....

Not a blocker but a nice to have ...

nsq wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:16 am 1. Insert Time Signature Change at the beginning of the project
Whaou! excellent solution, I will try.

Jac459 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:12 am
nsq wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:16 am 1. Insert Time Signature Change at the beginning of the project
What the heck! Good info. Seems weird that you have to insert a time signature marker just to do this, but I'll take it!

Doesn't seems to work for me... I can drag the Time Singature to the ... right which make my project start ... after the actual start of the song. But left (which would add a silence), no chance...

Jac459 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:54 pm
Doesn't seems to work for me... I can drag the Time Singature to the ... right which make my project start ... after the actual start of the song. But left (which would add a silence), no chance...
Add the Time Signature Marker at 1.1.1.00
Drag it right and you will see the negative time added
Then you can export with the negative time included which effectively adds silence

Return to “Bitwig”