Add attack / fade up to instrument / device?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

At the bottom we can add our instrument and chain other devices. I've been looking forever to find a way to control the attack, how fast the sound fade in.

It does not seem possible with a third party filter because they are unaware of when the note/tone hits. Then my only hope is Bitwig. I use the producer version right now.

1. Add an instrument.
2. Chain on a device, before or after that allow control over the attack.
3. Every time I play a note the sound should fade in.

Thanks!

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking but it sounds like you just want to add an ADSR as a modulator and just point it to whatever volume knob you want to fade in. I checked real quick on Bitwig's comparison chart and your Producer version has ADSR so you should be good to go.
"music is the best"

jenstornell wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:32 pm At the bottom we can add our instrument and chain other devices. I've been looking forever to find a way to control the attack, how fast the sound fade in.

It does not seem possible with a third party filter because they are unaware of when the note/tone hits. Then my only hope is Bitwig. I use the producer version right now.

1. Add an instrument.
2. Chain on a device, before or after that allow control over the attack.
3. Every time I play a note the sound should fade in.

Thanks!
What Instrument are you adding? Most of them have a built-in ADSR. The A stands for Attack and just set that higher.

I wish to add a fade in effect (attack) on the instrument layer. In this example it's just one sound but there are more in real life.

I can add a modulator. Nothing happens. I tried it on the instrument layer, the instrument itself and even the whole projekt. The sound plays but the ADSR has no effect anywhere.

What am I missing?

I'm also not sure what you mean, are you asking about a regular volume fade in or you wish to add some attack to the filter cutoff? Since it doesn't matter too much because we would set it up the same way I'm going to stick with the filter cutoff example. Using ADSR modulator you could set it up in 2 ways(for simplicity) to achieve your desired effect.

In the instrument layer select the Nexus layer, add ADSR modulator in the Nexus device view just like you did on the screenshot then set main cutoff(102) to 0, click on the blue arrow on the ADSR modulator and assign it to the main cutoff with your target amount(how much the filter should open up) now set up your ADSR modulator envelope using the knobs. On the screenshots you provided the ADSR envelope shape looks more like a trigger and not a gradual fade in, try setting the attack to 100% and turn it a little bit down if needed. This setup will make the sound die out after the attack phase ends so if you don't want the filter to close then add 100% sustain and it will close after you release the key.

If you'd wish to have some more flexibility and reuse the modulator for a different target on another layer or in the FX box you would add the ADSR modulator in the instrument layer view instead.

If it's a volume fade in then... Just look at these screens
Third screen for adding fade in to the whole container using tool in FX box and not single layers.
Hope that helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

@M1st Thanks! It feels like I'm half way there.

I figured out that for Nexus the "output" know is the volume. But on another plugin it's another knob.

We can control the volume in Bitwig without plugins. It there a way to not need to find the correct knob for every plugin in the list to do this? To use the instrument layer volume for all instrument at once?

I am open to other solutions as well but I'm not too fond of automation clips.

Thanks again!
bitwig22.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

First I think you would be happy to know that if you open any third party plugin GUI and click on any parameter it will show up as the first one on the list without manually searching for it and figuring out what's what. If you want to control the volume of the whole container as this is what it's called using Bitwig lingo - in your example an instance of instrument layer with Nexus and Phase Plant then you would put Bitwig's native Tool device in the FX(in the upper right corner of the container) and assign the ADSR modulator to the volume parameter of the Tool device. I actually showed you this method on the third screen I posted so take a look at it.

@M1st Thank you! Now I understand how everything is connected. I added a follow up question which is very releated. If you are tired of me by now I completely understand. I'm very greatful for your help no matter what.

viewtopic.php?t=609144

Return to “Bitwig”