Nine Volt Audio has announced the release of two new Kontakt 3/4 format sample libraries: Duo - Tingklik and Stickbreakers Vol 1 – Tom Edition.
Duo - Tingklik
The tingklik's design results in a sound that is both unique and exotic yet immediately useable in a wide range of musical contexts. Originating from Bali, these marimba-like instruments are made with bamboo, split halfway down their length, are then carved so that a closed tube resonator remains on the other half. The completed keys are mounted to a wooden frame with string, allowing them to sway when hit.
As part of Nine Volt Audio's new Duo product line, they've recorded two tingkliks. The "Red" tingklik is a large 11-note model with its lowest bamboo note measuring over 3' long, while the "White" is a smaller 8-note version covering a higher range.
Each tingklik has been played with two stick types, with their sound characteristics as follows:
- "Red" tingklik with traditional rubber mallets: warm, "woody" and resonant tone with a wide dynamic range.
- "Red" tingklik with nylon brushes: ranges from soft tonal clicks to loud "twacks".
- "White" tingklik with rubber ball mallets: pure tone with a nice balance between attack and sustain.
- "White" tingklik with chopsticks: sharp attack that brings upper harmonics to the forefront.
With over 3500 samples and patches that range from dueting arps to modwheel-morphing stick changers, Duo Tingklik brings far-away sounds to your fingertips with a few modern twists along the way.
- Nearly 720 MB of 44.1kHz/24bit samples and 40 Kontakt 3.5/4 instrument patches and multis. Download is 441 MB.
- There are 90+ samples per note sampled on both instruments with all stick types, for a total of 3520 samples. User interface controls are available to control the depth of automatic sample rotation and other humanization features.
- Core natural patches are offered in "Lite", "Medium" and "Large" sizes to accommodate different levels of RAM and CPU usage.
- "Unison" patches are available for both tingkliks allowing for the simulation of two people playing simultaneously. These patches have additional "Spread" and "Detune" user interface controls.
- Arpeggiator patches and multis include 12 patterns per patch. Patterns 1-6 are duple meter (2/4, 4/4), patterns 7-10 triple meter (3/4, 6/8), and patterns 11 and 12 are 5/4 and 7/8, respectively.
- User interface controls are available to alter chromatic playing modes to the instruments' original keys and scales – along with numerous other keys and scales.
- Additional user interface controls include: convolution reverb (with 14 custom IR .wavs), saturation, stereo width, velocity curve, low and high pass filters, delay, low, mid and high EQ gain, AHDSR, remap knob and humanization.
Duo - Tingklik costs $59.99. Product video and MP3 examples are available.
Stickbreakers Vol 1 – Tom Edition
Created with twelve tom-tom drums, four percussionists, three stereo microphone positions, two concert bass drums and one 1200 seat hall, Stickbreakers Vol 1: Tom Edition combines content and creativity with ease of use to form an audio palette of airy lows, rounded mids and slamming high drum sounds.
Ensemble and solo tom recordings were captured from stage, balcony and hall microphone positions, each offering no less than 120 samples per drum/key. Four drums/pitches were captured for a range of natural tones with projection, resonance and strength. Two suspended concert bass drums with an array of articulations supply rumble and added richness of sound. The core content weighs in at over 2 GB of material, with 3,333 samples. But the collection goes beyond natural sounds...
By combining various pitches, articulations and microphone positions and applying all manner of EQ and effects, Stickbreakers offers 65 hybridized drum patches. These are not "listen to the crazy sound we made" type of patches, but rather focus on highly useable and clearly categorized sound types a composer needs on a regular basis.
Beyond clear grouping of sounds, great attention has also been put toward a wide range of "ease-of-use" features, including:
- All pertinent sound and effect controls are accessible on the front interface.
- A lightweight "Preview Patch" puts one sample from each patch under a different key. Pressing a key displays the patch name from which the hit came, helpful for finding the right sound quickly.
- Remap any patch on the fly with the turn of one knob.
- Patches to easily blend "Stage", "Hall" and "Balcony" microphone positions.
So whether a track calls for soft rumblers, focused tight hits or colossal booms Stickbreakers Vol 1: Tom Edition is well suited for the job.
- 2.28 GB of 44.1 kHz/24bit samples and 82 Kontakt 3.5/4 instrument patches covering ensemble and solo toms, solo concert bass and hybridized drum sounds. Download is 1.06 GB.
- Ensemble and solo recordings use 8", 10", 12" and 13" open back concert toms with extra long maple shells (three each for ensemble recordings). There are 120+ samples per drum/key. User interface controls are available to control the depth of automatic sample rotation and other humanization features.
- Ensemble recordings were made with percussionists placed in suitable acoustic positions to accommodate composers wishing for accuracy in stereo width and depth.
- Ensemble and solo instrument patches are available with multi-microphone mix controls.
- Solo concert bass drum recordings were made with two suspension mounted models: a 32"x16" covered with natural animal skin and a 36"x18" with a Fiberskyn head. Articulations include open hits, muted hits and crescendo rolls for one of the drums.
- User interface controls include: convolution reverb (with 14 custom IR .wavs), saturation, stereo width, velocity curve, low and high pass filters, delay, low, mid and high EQ gain, AHDSR, remap knob and humanization.
- Two bonus "Big Hits" instrument patches are offered with 24 different keyswitchable fx chains.
- Compatible with full retail versions of Native Instruments' Kontakt 3.5 and up. The free Kontakt Player will only allow for 30 minutes of unrestricted use.
Stickbreakers Vol 1: Tom Edition is available now for a discounted price of $79.99. The regular retail price of $99.99 will go in effect upon the release of Stickbreakers Vol 2 (different percussion type). Product video, and MP3 examples are available.
08 May 2012 Final Week for Nine Volt Audio Two-for-One Sale
07 Apr 2011 Nine Volt Audio Announces Two-for-One Sale
29 Apr 2010 Nine Volt Audio announces "Two-for-One" Sale
19 Jun 2013 Save 40% on The Music Box by Bad Cat Media Group
18 Jun 2013 Sounds And Effects The New World is On Sale
16 Jun 2013 Standard Beat Co. "No Class" 30% Off Summer Sale
12 Jun 2013 Save 30% on Bluegrass Banjo by BolderSounds
02 Jun 2013 8Dio releases "EDM Trap" for Kontakt
25 May 2013 Ilya Efimov releases "Classic Bass" for Kontakt