3rd March 2009
Spectrasonics has announced that it has released the highly anticipated Stylus RMX version 1.7 update, which is available now as a free download for all registered Stylus RMX users.
Stylus RMX v1.7 features an innovative and completely new capability called 'Time Designer' which intelligently transforms RMX audio loops into different time signatures and features the ability to "Groove Lock" the feel of any groove to another - all in real time. Time Designer also lets the user create instant pattern variations with smart algorithms based on musical rules, and to 'simplify' any RMX groove in a musical manner. Version 1.7 is also the first 64-bit native software release from Spectrasonics, includes all the new effects from Omnisphere and useful workflow enhancements to RMX, such as Suite Editing and Host Transport Sync.
Eric Persing, Founder and Creative Director of Spectrasonics notes, "We received amazing reactions to our demonstrations of Stylus RMX version 1.7 at the January NAMM show. People really loved how easy it is to harness the power of Time Designer; it's a major creative boost for users with its ability to instantly Groove Lock to the feel of any groove across the entire RMX library. It's like suddenly having ten times the amount of grooves at your fingertips! Over the years, many composers and arrangers have requested the ability to have any groove in any time signature: now they can. With all of this and the ability to create pattern variations in a totally musical way, the new version of RMX is almost a rebirth of the plug-in and how it can be used. We are really looking forward to seeing how this inspires our users to take their groove production into brand new musical directions."
The new RMX version 1.7 contains a totally new way for users to browse and use their entire RMX library by offering the user the ability to Groove Lock any loop in real time to another loop or MIDI File. The user simply chooses a designated loop as the Groove Lock master, and switches one button ("Settings"): now all the loops that are played as the user browses are Groove Locked to that main feel.
RMX's Time Designer capabilities are available in any designated time signature. Once new Time Signatures are selected, the browsing experience works the same way - dramatically changing the experience of groove production in time signatures other than 4/4. Working on a 6/8 ballad? Simply choose 6/8 in Time Designer and the entire RMX library is now instantly available rearranged in 6/8 patterns.
For multiple time signatures in a piece of music the user simply sets the first time signature variation, drags and drops the MIDI file to the sequencer, then sets the time signature to a new one and repeats the process for each section of music that requires a new time signature. The MIDI Files that are dragged to the host sequencer are "imprinted" with all the Groove Lock and Time Signature changes in the MIDI data, making it easy to customize the loops further.
Time Designer's Pattern Variation section allows the user to instantly check out useful variations on a loop. Time Designer makes rearrangements of the pattern based on a series of musical rules creating useful variations, and is available for all time signatures (including 4/4 pattern variations). Best of all, Time Designer and Chaos Designer can be used together.
The Simplify function provides an easy way to instantly customize audio loops to better fit the user's music. Turning the Simplify knob takes out slices and makes more space for other musical parts. Used along with Groove Lock, Simplify allows the user to quickly layer synchronized grooves to create one-of-a-kind groove combinations. The Time Designer page shows a graphic of the groove's time slices to give the user instant visual feedback along with the changing groove as the Simplify knob is turned. Anything in RMX can be used with Simplify including tonal, percussive and imported REX libraries.
All Time Designer features also work with third party RMX libraries and imported REX files, as long as the grooves are sliced properly.
All of the new effects from Spectrasonics' Omnisphere have been added to RMX v1.7 as well:
- Formant Filter: Adds characteristics of the human vocal tract by chaining a narrow set of bandpass filters, set at specific frequencies, which reflect the formants of the human voice.
- Smoke Amp: An amp/speaker simulator with a full set of amplifier controls, speaker combinations and modeled versions of several classic guitar amplifiers.
- Ultra Chorus: A 'lush' custom chorus, with a very dense, rich character compared with standard Chorus units.
- Retro-Phaser: A vibey sounding vintage Phaser, with more features than the EZ-Phaser and a dedicated page for tone shaping.
- Retro-Flanger: A vibey sounding vintage Flanger, with more features than the original Flanger and a dedicated page for tone shaping.
- Chorus Echo: Inspired by the classic Roland Chorus-Echo units from the 1970s, this unit combines both analog-style delay and chorusing, but includes new features, like stereo width control and a dedicated 'Dirt' control for a more gritty sound.
RMX version 1.7 also sports several user-requested features such as Suite Editing for easy customization and better 'Favorites' management of users own collections of loops, and sequencer Host Transport Sync so that RMX will follow the host sequencer's transport controls and song position.
The new version is also the first 64-bit native software release from Spectrasonics, keeping pace with the industry-wide move towards 64-bit systems and access to more RAM. Windows 64-bit compatibility has been released first in version 1.7, then a 64-bit Mac version of RMX will follow.
- Worlds-first software to rearrange audio loops into different time signatures in real-time.
- Create instant Pattern Variations for any groove, with smart algorithms based on musical rules.
- Groove Lock any RMX groove to another RMX groove's feel.
- Groove Lock to external MIDI files.
- 'Simplify' control alters the pattern complexity of any RMX loop.
- Strengthen or Loosen the feel of any groove.
- Browse core library in real-time with any time signature, feel or variation you need.
- Time Shift can rush, drag or offset the groove in milliseconds or rhythmic values.
- Grid Quantize and Swing controls.
- Factory Groove Lock templates library includes legendary Akai MPC, SP-1200, TR-808/909, Latin, Blues, New Orleans, Breakbeat, Jazz feels.
- Make your own library of Time Designer Presets with your own REX or MIDI Files.
- Time Designer works with Third Party and User REX/RMX libraries too.
- Greatly expands any RMX user's existing library, with unlimited useful variations.
- New effects from Omnisphere included: Formant Filter, Smoke Amp, Ultra Chorus, Retro-Phaser, Retro-Flanger, Chorus Echo.
- 64-Bit native support on Windows (Mac 64-bit support to follow in a future version).
- Suite Editing for easy customization and improved 'Favorites' management.
- Host Transport sync: RMX follows sequencer transport controls.
- Song Position sync - RMX patterns follows correct song position of host.
- Online video tutorials show production techniques of all the new RMX 1.7 features.
Pricing & Availability
The Stylus RMX v1.7 update is available now and it is free for all registered Stylus RMX users.
17 Feb 2011 Spectrasonics releases Omnisphere v1.5
29 Jun 2010 Spectrasonics updates Stylus RMX to v1.9.4d
04 Dec 2009 Spectrasonics updates Stylus RMX to v1.9.2d
05 Nov 2009 Spectrasonics updates Trilian to v1.1.3c
22 Feb 2013 The Unfinished releases Omnisphere Horizon
09 May 2012 Resonance Sound releases SOR Clicks & FX Vol.1