|Type / Tags|
The idea behind Mesh was to create a Virtual Analogue mono synth in the style of the Minimoog with the addition of 5 Tempo based LFOs for exploring rhythmic potential. In comparison to previous Homegrown Synths, Mesh is very simple using 3 Oscillators and a Sub Oscillator to shape the sound, a single oversampled Low Pass Moog style filter, and 3 Envelopes. The LFOs can modulate most parameters, and there are several quantized pitch destinations to enable complex one finger sequences to be constructed. Add to this a compact effects section comprising of a Modulator, a Delay and SoundScaper and Finally an Arpeggiator which all adds up to a simple lightweight sonic playground.
The Oscillators provide the usual suspect waveforms such as Sine, Saw, Ramp, Triangle and Square, but also add a large selection of Digital Waveforms to expand it's sonic capabilities. The filter can be oversampled up to 8 times which improves the quality of the sound as well as providing a different character for each of the modes.
Although Mesh is designed as a non velocity based Mono Synth, it can be used as a Polyphonic instrument, and velocity can also be enabled. There are also a set of modulation parameters for assigning Velocity, Aftertouch, Mod Wheel and Pitch to a wide selection of destinations.
The demo is fully functional apart from audio dropouts when the host is in playback mode.
- 256 Presets - Each Bank has it's own dedicated version of Mesh, the first has more emphasis on LFO Sequences, whilst Mesh Lead offers more traditional analogue style Basses and Leads.
- 3 Oscillators each with a selection of 70 Waveforms, Octave, Semi and Fine Tuning.
- 1 Sub Oscillator.
- Oscillator 3 and White Noise can be routed to modulate Oscillator 1 Pitch.
- 3 Dedicated Envelopes for Amp, Filter and Noise.
- Oversampled Moog Style Low Pass Filter which can be oversampled 2x, 4x and 8x.
- The Filter output can be fed back to modulate the cutoff and be routed back to the input for a gritty effect.
- Noise can be used to modulate the filter cutoff.
- Gentle Harmonic Drive for the filter to add some depth and colour.
- Unison Mode – For doubling and detuning the sound. It can also be used alternatively to transpose the second output by 1 octave.
- Master Drive – For some intense distortion.
- Drift – Allows a random value for the pitch of each Oscillator which can fatten up the sound in an analogue way.
- 5 LFOs – Each can be locked to tempo/tempo independent, can be synced/run freely.
- 135+ Waveforms – There are 100 custom wave shapes which are a series of 8 values which can be used to create a repeating musical pattern for pitch or filter, additionally a smooth value can transform them into curved shapes.
- 37 Possible Destinations – These include Quantized Pitches for semitones, Octaves, Fifths and Sevenths for creating complex rhythms.
- Individual Amount and Rate Controls.
- Global Rate/Amount Knobs – These knobs affect all of the LFOs simultaneously, the amount acts like a master volume control useful for scaling, and the rate multiplies the individual rates.
- Envelopes – LFOs 3/4 have optional Envelopes with knobs to control Attack and Decay.
- Modulator – Uses an LFO to achieve many different effects such as Flanger, Chorus, Phasers, Mod Delay, Pitch Shifters, FM and Ring Modulators.
- Stereo Delay – A BPM locked Delay which has a simple list of time presets.
- SoundScaper – Comb Effects, Reverbs and Endless Delays are the domain of SoundScaper.
- Mono/Poly – Although primarily designed as a Mono Synth, Mesh is also a capable 16 poly synth at the push of a button.
- Arpeggiator – Full featured arpeggiator with the usual modes plus a pattern selector which has 100 selectable patterns/selectable steps for creating more rhythmic Arpeggiations.
- Randomizers – Each section has it's own randomize/Default buttons, as well as Global Sets for randomizing the entire synth.